that wetsuit discussion...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:38 pm

^ you'd think someone in the surf media would investigate that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

surf MEDIA :lol: :lol: :lol:

investigate :lol: :lol: :lol:

i crack myself up :mrgreen:

i notice tracks 40 th issue has a really well photoshoped shot on the cover and a wetty guide that saids

THERE ALL good :roll:

p.s good see surf mags pushing the environment by coming wrap in plastic bag :x

for $8.50...not only do i get view enhanced photos ( i get better on the net for free) and read utter dribble( read any my posts let alone yours) ...but i can do my bit ruin the environment...bargain :idea:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:01 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:34 pm

anyone tried Wing from Cronulla?

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:40 pm

daryl wrote:anyone tried Wing from Cronulla?
They started out making suits for water skiers and were good for that purpose.. Don't know how they'd go in the surf..
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:22 pm

monkeyman wrote:Loving this discussion. I'd go with the cold water experts on this, that's the poms and yanks.

I wear a C-Skins mid range suit this winter, incredible fits (made for surfers with lats and chests and thinish waists) good rubber (middle of the road on the stretch front but very durable feeling) and a flushproof collar and half the price delivered from Shore in the UK than an aussie suit... a great suit for 200 bucks. My rip curls have all got colder as they got older, and not just the seams (which split on both of my last two steamers) but the neioprene itself, especially the tops of the shoulders. I don't want a suit that is warm for the first 10 surfs and needs replacing half way through the second winter season. yep the warranty is incredible and rip curl even repaired a suit just outside of warranty so hats off to them - even though it was only outside of warranty because I lived with the seam problems through the whole of winter and then sent it to them as soon as the water was warm enough for boardies... they don't do a courtesy suit now do they and who'd go weeks with no suit in the middle of the surf season.

Excel and C-Skins seam to be consistantly put up as great suits buy UK websites... and my years of surfing 8 degree water make me agree with their expertise.
toying with idea of getting a C --skin, partly because monkeyman describes their sizing as right,
dunno; some brands are my size 36 chest 32 waist, for around a M-S, except they're for 5'8 and I'm 5'6
and 63kg which'd be S
sizing is all over the place, depending on country it seems, worse than shoes

Topher
regular

Post by Topher » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:00 pm

In winter I often leave my wetty on until I get into a nice warm shower at home. Anyone know if it's bad to rinse ya wetty in a hot shower?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:08 pm

yeah, it's not good for em.
they lose flexibility, they'll perish a bit faster.
depends on how hot though, i sometimes wear mine in a lukewarm shower.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:12 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fuseislit

Post by fuseislit » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:26 pm

dUg wrote:Also agree on the chest zips... not the best choice...
robzig wrote: As the resident wetsuit guru I advise on getting anything with a chest zip.
So should I get a chest zip or not?

I've just bought a pot of neoprene glue to fix my seams and to try and get me through this winter, I reckon I'll use the rest to do some preemptive taping on the inside of my next wetsuit.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:27 am

fuseislit wrote:
dUg wrote:Also agree on the chest zips... not the best choice...
robzig wrote: As the resident wetsuit guru I advise on getting anything with a chest zip.
So should I get a chest zip or not?
Try one, if you like it get one.

I use 'em and love 'em .. but it's personal choice.

sunrisesurfer

Post by sunrisesurfer » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:33 pm

Hey There,
Yeah i would recommend the Oneill Suits if you want a warmer, longer lasting wetsuit :D
I have heard those 3.2 / 2.5 are pretty warm. I was looking at that one but i ended up getting the 3/2 pyscho 2 steamer instead! I'm warm! They have some good prices in longy at long reef surf.
happy :D surfing!

the hulkster
Grommet

Post by the hulkster » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:24 pm

Sorry to bring up an old thread but its getting to that time of year down in Vicco and i need a new wettie. I have no idea what to get just getting back into surfing a bit more (bloody kids) and hoping to get some winter waves. What do people recommend for a winter wettie. Happy to pay a bit for a good one also happy to not pay as much for quality if available.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:21 pm

The other vicco surfers like the Rip Curl E Bombs or F Bombs. They are obviously the best wetsuits around.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:35 pm

I just got a 2010 4/3 Oneill Psycho 2 for $450 from a clearance outlet.

Still a bit warm to wear it yet...

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:37 am

I love my billabong steamer but its getting a bit long in the tooth now. I was going to buy the same model as a springy but was given an O'neil one as a birthday pressie a year or so ago. Okay suit but nowhere near as flexible. I should replace both as paddling is so much easier in a flexible suit.

As far as washing oput salt goes a mate of mine who used to be a lab assistant reckoned you should soak them for 10 minutes or more in fresh water once a week. I don't do that but still try to give it a decent wash every now and then. The salt build up does make the suit less flexible and doesn't make the zipper run any smoother thats for sure.

Don't they make stretchy long sleeved vests out of something other than rubber these days?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:29 am

jimmy1501 wrote:
daryl wrote:anyone tried Wing from Cronulla?
They started out making suits for water skiers and were good for that purpose.. Don't know how they'd go in the surf..
guys have been surfing in wing wetsuits for years now.
Alex Leon, Ben Hall and Ringa used to wear them, but they were only riding boogers out island
dont know how the wetsuits would go stand up proper surfing with all the extra performance needed to stand on the point and watch holding your board under your arm, maybe some under arm pads for lengthy on the point chats before going out the point. :lol:
ask Brad Whittaker he was sponsored by them for a while, he's a proper surfboard rider
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:14 am

anyone still got/using a Radiator 1.5mm steamer?

I know they've been mentioned before, but noone seems to have had one for long before they posted, wanting to know how they hold up.

Will probably pull the trigger anyway, but interested to know if anyone has thoughts

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:23 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.