that wetsuit discussion...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

pirate_agenda
regular

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by pirate_agenda » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:08 pm

c-skins long sleeve vest. lasted about 8 surfs and started falling apart, plus the neoprene was scratchy in some parts and the arms didn't stretch where the logos were ironed on. won't be getting oner one.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:00 pm

Anyone used their Need wetsuit? Keen to see how they stand up against the big boys. Noticed they've upped the price by $20.

xe
regular

Post by xe » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:40 pm

BA wrote:Anyone used their Need wetsuit? Keen to see how they stand up against the big boys. Noticed they've upped the price by $20.
Free postage NOW so $5 increase on the 3/2. Not bad price rise.
"I'm just a surfer who wanted to build something that would allow me to surf longer"
Jack O'Neill

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:51 pm

Been wearing my 3/2 all vic summer. Despite the sizing issues as described previously, it is a quality suit. Shoulder's hoping for a back zip model

Not a bad price? FMD, it's unbelievably well priced and quality is real
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

DV8
regular

Post by DV8 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:47 am

swvic wrote:Pretty happy with my Need Essentials. But fcuk me, it's not even nearly consistent with RC sizing. Could probably have gone a small instead of medium. RC 4/3 is a LS

There's been talk of my early(ish) career, young family, early mortgage mate grabbing it and me getting another. Truth be told, I will get a back zip (Need don't do 'em) which will cost some, but my shoulder is disintegrating. Getting into the chesty is ok. Getting out is becoming a serious issue
Swvic , when you say you could have gone a smaller size, is it a height/length sizing issue or the width that's out of whack compared to your RC ?

Cheers

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:21 pm

DV8 wrote:
swvic wrote:Pretty happy with my Need Essentials. But fcuk me, it's not even nearly consistent with RC sizing. Could probably have gone a small instead of medium. RC 4/3 is a LS

There's been talk of my early(ish) career, young family, early mortgage mate grabbing it and me getting another. Truth be told, I will get a back zip (Need don't do 'em) which will cost some, but my shoulder is disintegrating. Getting into the chesty is ok. Getting out is becoming a serious issue
Swvic , when you say you could have gone a smaller size, is it a height/length sizing issue or the width that's out of whack compared to your RC ?

Cheers
And what height/weight are you swvic? I normally wear a medium. I'm 5'11 and 72kgs. But they take them back if the size is wrong according to the website.

Skipper
Duke Status

Post by Skipper » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:08 pm

I went for a walk to check conditions this morning, get in some sea ions and pick up some coffee at a good price from
a certain food retailer.
Passed by and decided to pop into two surf shops to check out weties.
Baulked at the price of the ones I coveted in one but ended up buying a last year's Peak (RC version) FBomb for 2 hungy from the brand retailer.
What could possibly wrong there with good warranty and great fit.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:40 am

I have a bit of a problem with my left arm. If it gets too much compression it starts to ache due to previous injury. Can't wear a watch on that arm. When I got my last steamer it was super stretchy and flexible but every session annoyed the shite out of me because it restricted the wrist and elbow. Usually had to wait 10 minutes for it to calm down. It was better if you flushed water through it as it tends to form a bit of a suction.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:19 pm

Just ordered a Need 3/2 steamer for Sydney winter. $180 delivered.

Noticed on their site they say they have adjusted their 2015 sizes to fit in with all the other brands now. May not be an issue anymore Swvic.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:37 pm

Apologies for the late response

5'9" 70 (ish) kg

Essentially it was too long in the upper body - loose wettie from the back of the shoulders to the neck. Neck seal was fine and it wasn't a problem, but could be if it was my winter 4/3. Mate wore it on Sunday. He's also lean, but a few inches taller and it fits him well. He's buying it from me. I wore an old RC LS 4/3. Surprisingly, it is easier to get out of than the Need. Maybe the chest zip positioning is different. Need make a quality suit and it's good to learn that they're changing the cut because I know of a couple other people with the same fit issue I had
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

xe
regular

Post by xe » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:10 pm

Just got 3/2 NEED WETSUIT new cut sizing is LARGE fits same as ripcurl i have both L & L/S in ripcurl.

Also got MEDIUM long sleeve 2mm jacket fits perfect. (This was old sizing)

Special mention postage was messed up, and Ryan from NEEDS Essential sorted it out with no prompting from myself. Just awesome to deal with aussie entrepreneur and not being corn holed by our surf industry when as plain as day we see the pricing they get in the US of A.
"I'm just a surfer who wanted to build something that would allow me to surf longer"
Jack O'Neill

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:14 pm

Other problem with my suit was that it had this weird hybrid closure. It was a back zip suit with a flap inside across the shoulders. Terrible to zip up. Particularly if you tied the car keys up in the tag inside. Really uncomfortable if you got it wrong.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:53 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Thu May 14, 2015 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:04 pm

Got my Need steamer 2 days after ordering it. Feels nice. Seems to be as stretchy as my old Billabong Solution Xero. Fit seems fine. Look forward to the cold weather.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:22 am

Anyone know why surfstitch appears to have no Qukkie Springsuits and bugger all Quikkie Steamers?
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:16 pm

Bought new Ripcurl Springy on holidays. Got up for the early on Tuesday. Decided to try the springy. Grabbed scissors to cut the cord on the sales tag. Cut the cord on the zipper instead. I'm not a morning person. :roll:
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:21 am

Torpedo7 is currently offering a 20% discount on Ripcurl Flashbombs. The steamers are parallel imports.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:06 pm

Anyone willing to part with 300,000 Yen for a Quiksilver wetsuit?

http://truewetsuits.jp
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.