that wetsuit discussion...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

pinhead
barnacle

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by pinhead » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:12 am

I got a 4/3 Ripcurl Insulator (used to be called fireskin) for $260 inc shipping.
Wore it yesterday 10 degrees, 10-20 knot wind, 13 degree water. Was warm the whole time, very flexible, easy to paddle in. Would be a great suit even at Local RRP.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:19 am

Yeah, I've got a 3/2 Fireskin.

Wore it lightly up here (less than a 20 times) and it ripped from under arm to chest down at Bells this year (just out of warranty).

Sent it to Rip Curl and they fixed it foc.

Warm wetty but I would have been spewing if they hadn't fixed it.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:04 pm

croissant wrote:Anyone use a 4/3 in sydney? Not looking to buy one or anything.. Winters over. But those deep south trips get hairy sometimes, last thing I need is a retracted penis.
Get yourself a 3/2 and stop being a pussy.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:54 pm

steve shearer wrote:Wore it lightly up here (less than a 20 times) and it ripped from under arm to chest down at Bells this year (just out of warranty).
In that case it's a great suit for $260

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:11 pm

croissant wrote:You cannot tell me 3/2 is enough in vicco. Insulation or not.
It is mate, I've only ever worn 3x2's

Wore that today with a hotskin, booties and a hood. Warm as toast.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:38 pm

croissant wrote:Booties and hood? Pussy. No way you can go 3/2 if booties and hood are needed.
:lol:

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:14 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:58 am

Legion wrote:You forget groots is carrying 20 kegs of extra seal blubber built in. He could get away with a rashie in mid winter.
I went for a 4km run this morning ya funny cnut :lol:

Im shedding blubber like a second skin :o

Glamarama
regular

Post by Glamarama » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:50 pm

just received my matuse tumo.

feels great for quality. very light. fcuking near impossible to get into (chest zip). literally impossible to get out of. had to ask my 4yr old daughter to help dad as his arms re stuck. looking to giving it a test run tomorrow. will have to get up 10mins earlier to get the thing on.

Glamarama
regular

Post by Glamarama » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:34 pm

cause i liked the above matuse 2mm tumo so much i thought id order another one. I did in size XL. got it yesterday. its just a tad too big for me. the first one i ordered is a L. so if anyone is interested in buying this XL suit, never used. happy to supply the delivery documents that i received this yesterday.

Im 5'10 and 83kg so i reckon if you are the same height and a little heavy it would work or slightly taller but around the same weight it would also work. its really just a bit too big.

$290 happy to throw in express post within australia

i also ordered a matuse sar springsuit. 2mm full G&B with full tapering. in XL. got to sell that too. same reason. just a tad too big.

$210 including express post within australia

drop me a pm if you are interested.

thanks

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:39 pm

Got a brand new top of the line West wetty. Overall a nice wetty but fek me after only 3 surfs in it the leg has started tearing around the ankle key pocket into a big hole (I have not even used the key pocket).

Can someone please tell me of any other products (other than surfboards and wetties) that cost $500 - $600+ that have the short lifespan that wetties and surfboards have. I mean seriously at several hundred dollars a pop these products should last years, not just weeks or months. Are us surfers just suckers who are being taken to the cleaners on this stuff?
To all surf companies...If your products only last weeks or months please reduce the fricken prices you charge the punters or get farrkked, signed Natho.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:01 pm

Certainly feels like we're all pretty easy targets. I've got a 4/3 RC E bomb that I've had for a few winters. Good suit, but others have had the same suit disintegrate in no time. Might be luck of which Asian sweat-shop worker did the gluing and stitching

I also have a 'bong 3/2. The legs have stretched so much after just 1 summer, I come out of the surf with litres of water pouring out the left leg when I undo my leggy

Next time around, I reckon I'll go a C Skin. Made in the UK. Pretty cold over there. Braithy got one when he moved down to Tassie. Like to hear his opinion now he's had it awhile
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

Glamarama
regular

Post by Glamarama » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:36 am

no need to worry about your wettie if you get yourself these new ones.
:-)

i liked the matuse 2mm tumo so much i thought id order another one. I did in size XL. got it yesterday. its just a tad too big for me. the first one i ordered is a L. so if anyone is interested in buying this XL suit, never used. happy to supply the delivery documents that i received this yesterday.

Im 5'10 and 83kg so i reckon if you are the same height and a little heavy it would work or slightly taller but around the same weight it would also work. its really just a bit too big.

$290 happy to throw in express post within australia

i also ordered a matuse sar springsuit. 2mm full G&B with full tapering. in XL. got to sell that too. same reason. just a tad too big.

$210 including express post within australia

drop me a pm if you are interested.

thanks

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:57 am

I think there are one or two fatties on here who may take the XL off ya :D

brownhornet
Grommet

Post by brownhornet » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:36 pm

Lots of discussin of guys getting over the ridiculous wetsuit prices for top end. Noticed a number of new brands popping up on eBay and online. Anyone care to post there experience with top end of brands such as
Derevko
Hifi
Animal?

Really cheap by comparison and reckon unless in wa or Vic not dealing with extreme cold...hmmm and tas!

Comments on durability, quality, does the neoprene hold shape after a season?

Given the number of comments on here with the top brands not lasting or only keeping them two or three seasons I figure if I can get one half the cost then good. Feedback I have heard is the quality of the above are great, really good stretch in the rubber and plenty warm...particularly in their top models.

Do they last and hold shape is another question entirely.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:40 pm

there selling wetsuits at Aldi for 30 bucks brand new.

that'd be worth a punt.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

brownhornet
Grommet

Post by brownhornet » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:11 pm

Sarcasm noted mr shearer. But these brands seems to be somewhat reputable coming out of uk, south Africa or making there way into stand up surfing. They have a decent following overseas but not in oz.
Lots of surfers not feeling the allegiance to the big brands they once did. I reckon they may not have put in the money on r&d but I feel suits coming out of cold water climates and with a reputation in their local cant be all bad.

So thank you for the comment but we don't have a local Aldi...note sarcasm please.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:29 pm

I am still waiting for West Wetsuits to get back to me after one of their top of the line wetsuits started falling apart on me after 3 surfs. It has now been 3 weeks of them ignoring my email . How long until they reply do you think? I was only asking if it is possible to send it in for repair. At $500 for a wetsuit is that too much to ask for? I don' t think they like customers.