that wetsuit discussion...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

bookster
barnacle

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by bookster » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:35 am

Anyone got a Rip Curl insulator?

Thinking about getting one of these, possibly the 3/2... like the idea of the fireskin lining, as I do feel the cold, being a skinny bastard and all...

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:28 pm

^^
I have a 3/2 fireskin - last year's insulator, not a bad suit and the lining is warm.

bookster
barnacle

Post by bookster » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:08 pm

Quangers wrote:^^
I have a 3/2 fireskin - last year's insulator, not a bad suit and the lining is warm.
cheers :)

Moore
regular

Post by Moore » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:05 am

Anyone tried the 2011 Oneill Gooru?

There's some good deals on over here in the UK at the mo. Had one a few years back, it was super flexy and light but not the warmest. Could be tempted to get one as a backup though.

Moore
regular

Post by Moore » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:45 am

No Gooru Gurus??

How about the O'Neill Psychofreak? Anyone?

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:52 am

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:27 am

that suit seems a bit loose Roy.

been on a diet?

Mrkook
Grommet

Post by Mrkook » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:22 pm

Epic photo haha!
My 2 cents. it seems Patagonia have copped a bit of criticism here. My personal experience differs greatly - best suit I've ever had. Ive Now had two full seasons and it's still as warm as the day I got it ( which is very toasty) and hasn't shown any signs of wear, seams rubber velcro round neck - it's all good. Iv e had rip curl, oneil, xcel, all of which were good suits but wear out within a season or two if I've been lucky. Xcels would be next on my list for longevity. Cons of the Patagonia- it can be a bit more restrictive than the others, and for the first few surfs the wool stuff can be irritating. However - I never get cold and the suit looks to be holding up well for several more seasons.

Mrkook
Grommet

Post by Mrkook » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:24 pm

Oh and the other con - they are f$en expensive. I only paid about 60% rrp for mine but that was still lots of money - like 450.

Moore
regular

Post by Moore » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:37 pm

Just picked up an 2011 season 5/3 Gooru for a hundred quid. Hoping to use it as a back-up to my West 5/3 Lotus Airo this coming winter.

The 3/2 normally comes off some time in November for me, depending on how cold it is, then a 4/3 will see me through to the New Year before it gets super-cold, but as I don't have a 4/3 this year, I think the relatively light and flexy Gooru will fill that gap.

Any of you guys in mainland Oz ever use a 5mm suit? I'm guessing maybe the Vicco/Esperance area crew, possibly? I'm presuming the Tassy contingent may face the similar conditions to SW England in winter.

coarse

Post by coarse » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:34 pm

TLDR: Cheap 3/2 billabong chest zip wetsuits, genuine bargain.

Hi All,

I have two brand new Billabong wetsuits for sale.
Brand new with tags, and have never been worn.
I also have a receipt from an AUstralian surf store (SDS). First in gets the origional, the other person will be provided with a copy. So you will still have your 1yr Australian warranty.

2 x 2011 Billabong Solution SG5 302 3/2mm chest zip wetsuit $250 each (Size M + MT)

1 x Size M Gallery http://imgur.com/a/cw8VB#0
1 x Size MT Gallery: http://imgur.com/a/CRWyo#0

This is the same Style number as the wetsuit shown on the wetsite below, check the photo of the tag. This is brand new and not last years model.
http://www.billabong.com.au/product-cat ... ong-sleeve

I'm happy to just get rid of these cheap. If you're not in Sydney and not keen on buying through the forums, I will be putting these up for sale on eBay for $270 + $10 delivery (Extra is to cover the ebay fees). I have a good history on eBay and you will be covered by Paypal, etc as well.

Postage anywhere to Australia will be $10. Pickup preferred from Seaforth on the Northern Beaches, NSW 2092.

Any questions please ask.

Also sorry for the spammy post in the forums, but I do honestly think that this is a bargain.

Features:

Billabong Solution SG5 Wetsuit

* DryMax Collar
Soft subtle collar seal, water tight comfort.

* Barrier
Water tight internal barrier on back zip styles, furnace lined for additional warmth.

* Strategic Placed Seams
Strategically placed seams to eliminate chaffing, maximise flexibility and comfort.

* Solar Mesh
Solar Mesh acts in the same way as solar panels, by absorbing the suns heat, trapping it within the cell structure of the mesh, Solar mesh 5 is 30% warmer than any nylon covered neoprene.

* Impact Welded Seams
Seams are welded shut with a flexible, durable water tight seam seal.

* Furnace Thermal Lining
Poly Propelyne jersey lining the chest and back panels of the SG5 series. The lining increases heat retention on your core body area making the suit warmer.

* Silicon Gripers
Silicon gripers at the wrist and ankle area to eliminate movement and water entry.

* ZG400
The all new Solution SG5 utilises BILLABONG´S new ZERO GRAVITY SUPERFLEX neoprene...Increased cell size in the foam core makes this warmer, lighter and more flexible than ever before.

* 3D Moulded Supratex Knees
Abrasion resistant 3D moulded knee pads for flexibility and durability.

* Hidden Externel Key Pocket
Easy access positioned key/stash pocket.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:43 pm

Just bought a Billabong Foil springsuit. First surf got a nasty rash on the neck. Second surf same thing happened. One of the seams is the culprit. Had to send it back. Wonder how long it'll take to get back. :cry:

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:23 pm

Buell 4/3 report -
Had the suit since mid June, fairly light level use, maybe 25 - 30 surfs. The warmth, flexibility and comfort factor is good, however, the tape over the seams is coming apart all over the place. Not sure if i picked up a dud or if it's common to the brand. The good people at Buell assured me it would not be a problem, the suit would perform just as well without the taped seams. This is not true.
Buell Wettie 002.jpg
Both shoulders gone, inside legs/bum seam gone, back tape starting to go in places.
I sent a few pics to Buell showing the tape problem. They have offered 20% off the next suit.

Old's - I know you bought one, how's your's holding up?
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:34 pm

That's pretty shit BD. Ordinary response from them as well. Interesting to see how others are going.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:45 pm

What happened to their No Sucka guarantee?

Update on my O'Neill Psycho 2 (back zip).
All in all, it's a great suit. Very warm, I feel the cold and I've worn it when others are in 4/3s.
The neck closure is the only problem. The smooth stuff on the inside of the neck doesn't like to bond to the batwing thingo. You have to pull it pretty tight, and I find it best if I readjust once it's wet.

Also, got a MT, when I probably could've got away with a M. Torso length is right, which was the deciding factor as I hate wearing my balls for earings, but legs are a bit long.

And the pic on the website wasn't good enough, I got the blue one because it was cheaper, only to find it has a nice pinstripe...
Not phased, I actually don't mind it. Thinking of getting a neoprene tophat.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:46 pm

black duck wrote:Buell 4/3 report -

Both shoulders gone, inside legs/bum seam gone, back tape starting to go in places.
I sent a few pics to Buell showing the tape problem. They have offered 20% off the next suit.
Bet you can put the 20% to use on another brand. Geez that's awful service.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:08 pm

^^^ I should clarify -
They did also offer to fix the suit, but it meant i had to send it back to the States for repair (at my cost). It was the middle of winter and i needed the suit. I could send it back now that the water is warm again but it's just more cost and effort to have something repaired that really shoud not have failed so quickly. Somewhat disappointing.
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:12 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.