that wetsuit discussion...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

spongeInside
Local

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by spongeInside » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:59 pm

if anyone is after a Billabong wetty this place seems ok

http://www.wetsuits.ocean24seven.com/

A 2011 Billabong Foil 5/4/3mm GBS B-Zip works out at $160 AUD delivered.

A 2011 Billabong Solution SG5 4/3mm GBS C-Zip works out at $263 AUD delivered.. not too shabby

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:17 pm

spongeInside wrote:A 2011 Billabong Solution SG5 4/3mm GBS C-Zip works out at $263 AUD delivered.. not too shabby
not too shabby, unless you are inconvenienced by having things like shoulders, thighs, or any external genitals to speak of..

spongeInside
Local

Post by spongeInside » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:26 pm

alakaboo wrote:
spongeInside wrote:A 2011 Billabong Solution SG5 4/3mm GBS C-Zip works out at $263 AUD delivered.. not too shabby
not too shabby, unless you are inconvenienced by having things like shoulders, thighs, or any external genitals to speak of..

haha they're not that bad are they?
I think it's time I upgrade my 5 year old West 3/2 so have been reading this thread with interest. I hate the cold so was thinking a move up to 4/3 might be the go... never had one before though so it could be a mistake. I think i'll avoid the whole chest zip thing though, I struggle enough getting the back zip off.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:33 pm

interesting to see that a fair few of the online shops are starting to include notes like this:
"Please note we are unable to ship Rip Curl, Billabong or O'Neill Wetsuits to Australia."
-from King of Watersports (linked to my order form for an O'Neill...)

"WE CURRENTLY SHIP TO THESE COUNTRIES:
Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, England, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Greenland, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Scotland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Wales **This EXCLUDES the following brands: BILLABONG, NIXON, RIP CURL, QUIKSILVER, O'NEILL, AND OAKLEY**."
-from Jacks Surfboards, which seems to be the cheapest going around at the moment.

the online revolution hitting a snag?

scod
regular
Location: Riding along the border, with a pair of zircon encrusted tweezers in my hand

Post by scod » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:35 pm

spongeInside wrote:
alakaboo wrote:

haha they're not that bad are they?
I think it's time I upgrade my 5 year old West 3/2 so have been reading this thread with interest. I hate the cold so was thinking a move up to 4/3 might be the go... never had one before though so it could be a mistake. I think i'll avoid the whole chest zip thing though, I struggle enough getting the back zip off.
see if you can get them to chuck in the arms and the legs.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:37 pm

spongeInside wrote:haha they're not that bad are they?
Just have to try them on. The bloke in the shop reckoned they fit most people well. They seem to run fairly skinny. Fit is more important to me than the specs, or the cost really.
I tried on a lot, and ended up going with an O'neill Psycho 2 (back zip) as it fits me well. The chest zip equivalent was probably the worst I tried on. Hoping the durability isn't as bad as some say.

spongeInside
Local

Post by spongeInside » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:46 pm

alakaboo wrote: the online revolution hitting a snag?
the same thing is happening with motorbike parts/race accessories.. A new electronics package here would've cost me over $1200, same thing from the US was under $500 delivered. The first few shops told me they couldn't sell to Australia as the supplier has placed regional selling restrictions to protect territories, but after emailing about half-a-dozen stores I got a bite. People still want to make sales, just depends how bad.

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:07 pm

I've run into the same problem but used Bongo - https://bongous.com/ - without any problems. Adds a little, but still much cheaper, depending on what you're after.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:31 pm

yeah, there are ways and means around all obstacles.
Some more info over here: http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... 6&start=18

I've got mates (and credit cards) in the US as I lived there for a bit, so I can organise stuff fairly easily without the added expense.

Those with control of an imperfect market will always try to keep it that way.

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:36 pm

Anyone know who blocks certain brands/products from certain territories? Is the Rip Curls etc. bringing their considerable weight down on these online retailers?

Global market, my ar$e.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:40 pm

spongeInside wrote:The first few shops told me they couldn't sell to Australia as the supplier has placed regional selling restrictions to protect territories,
Not surprising. How can Quikripabong justify selling a wettie on the internet for $500 when they are charging over $650 here. They can't, so they use bluster and pressure on retailers.
alakaboo wrote:the online revolution hitting a snag?
And you found a way around it pretty quickly, while having the advantage of knowing people in US and having lived there. Others will do it by using tricky programming, or by re-routing goods through other countries.

They continue to put their finger in the leaking dyke hoping it will hold.

Good luck with that.

Ross Gittins naturally wrote an excellent article on this recently. The internet is breaking down the walls helping to create a better market. In a perfect market, how much you pay is not determined by where you live.

The companies should just get on board and stop ripping off their customers rather than fighting it.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:44 pm

ajohnsen wrote:Is the Rip Curls etc. bringing their considerable weight down on these online retailers?
That would be a pretty standard business response. It's a very interesting game being played out, and Australians are likely to be the biggest winners, but only because we have been paying excessive prices on so many goods for so long.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

scod
regular
Location: Riding along the border, with a pair of zircon encrusted tweezers in my hand

Post by scod » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:49 pm

ajohnsen wrote:Anyone know who blocks certain brands/products from certain territories? Is the Rip Curls etc. bringing their considerable weight down on these online retailers?

Global market, my ar$e.
Indeed it is.

The surf companies - billabong, rip curl, etc etc determine where their product will be sold, who will sell and how much they will sell it for. Happens with bricks and mortars shops, so it happens with on-line.

If ya breach it ya aint got no licence no more to sell their gear and they u a are screwed coz wot ya gonna sell then. Plus they can go ya aswell.

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:53 pm

I recently wrote to Rip Curl - by snail mail as they don't have an email address on their site - to ask them to justify the huge price difference. Have yet to hear back, but not holding my breath.

I suggest that, apart from finding ways around it, hound them to justify themselves; actively boycott their products where they block territories, where possible, and let them know.

Although I'm having an ar$e of a time contacting Buell, I'll persevere if only to avoid Ripaquickbong.

In fact, maybe I'll start a Facebook group which highlights the price gouging and calls for people to boycott their products when they engage in blocking territories.

Cookie
regular

Post by Cookie » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:00 pm

I've just run into the same problem at King of Watersports. My order for a new E Bomb is currently "ON HOLD". Just noticed the fine print that recently appeared that they can longer ship to Oz for Rip Curl suits.

Still its easy enough to go via a UK mail forwarding service. Its not a ban on Australian Customers , just on delivery to addresses here. At 187 quid plus about 30 for the mail forwarding I'm still only looking at around $340 delivered here.

Still beats the hell out of the $574.95 the fcuking thieves are trying to charge us locally!!!!

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:03 pm

These guys don't seem to have any restrictions yet...

http://www.wetsuitcentre.co.uk/products.asp?cid=1

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:05 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:14 pm

Cookie wrote:I've just run into the same problem at King of Watersports. My order for a new E Bomb is currently "ON HOLD". Just noticed the fine print that recently appeared that they can longer ship to Oz for Rip Curl suits.
Think I may have the same problem. :(

If so, I'll be purchasing elsewhere, for less. Big win for the wetsuit company.