that wetsuit discussion...

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Re: that wetsuit discussion...

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:39 am

bohdidontsurf wrote:I only have e bombs. IMO cant beat the flexibility of these suits and their customer service is top notch. Yes agree , if you wear a steamer at the moment its too hot. Yesterday I started to get a headache from being too hot and a bit dehydrated (you still sweat when you are too hot in water)...got out and downed 2 gatrorades and the headache went but will be wearing my springy today....lots of guys still wearing boardies and a wetsuit top. Very warm suits particularly the chest zip versions which is what I have. I do have an old O'Neil suit I wear when my others are wet and its like wearing a suit of armour...stiff as and its not that old.
Which city,state do you surf in bodhi?

Still mulling over what wetsuit to buy...
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:49 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:Anyone in Sydney been wearing a Ripcurl E-Bomb Pro ? How many months of the year is it suitable?

A couple of mates of mine have them and they are cooking in them right now. He sits on his board pulling the neck open and flushes water in to keep himself sane. Then again the water in Sydney is still well above 20 degrees right now.

I own an O'Niel Heat that has recently died after at least 5 years of good use. The build and the seams were top notch, it was a the material in general that gave in eventually. That suit was perfectly warm for Sydney winters, I was never cold. I used to have to wear 5mm rashies under my steamers occasionally and I couldn't with this wetsuit, I would suffer horribly.

Considering an O'Niel Gooru or Ripcurl E-Bomb Pro

Anyone in Sydney wearing a steamer is crazy. The water is so warm all you need is a springy for the windchill.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:45 pm

Heres a better question, for those of you with E-Bombs in Sydney and surrounds, what months of the year can you wear it while not being too hot?

Trying to get a gauge on the temperatures...
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:08 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:13 pm

Caveman I am sure you remember times during summer, when we have a solid run of noreaster winds that the water gets cold...I have worn my steamer for dawn patrols in summer when the super cold currents run...but in general I wear my steamer from mid May onwards and a springy mostly until then. A 3/2 e bomb will do just fine for Sydney all through Winter and some of Autumn.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm

The steamer comes into play when the water temp drops or that first dump of snow which brings the cold winds. I love getting back into the springy around Oct but as Bohdi said when you get that cold water from a run of noreaster's you may as well be comfy.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Moore
regular

Post by Moore » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:52 pm

Personal opinion from a Pom that has to deal not only with 7deg water in the winter, but biting wind as well; Xcel and West get the job done and last well, certainly a lot of Scottish and Irish crew seem to favour Xcels.

However, I reckon if you can get a custom, preferably yamamoto rubber suit, then you will be a happy camper. There's a couple of custom brands over here that are really good (Snugg, NoLimit).

Have got a few mates with Pata's but they are 500 quid here...

Unfortunately, Rip and Quik suits reputation has gone down in the last ten years or so over here. They just don't last well... Funny, as when I was a grom, I had a 4/3 Rip 'Thermoseal' (the one with the thermometer on the zip pull?) That I wore all through the winter with no worries.

Fit and build quality is paramount. Can't beat a custom suit as you usually get both in my experience. Can be pricey though..

Anyone tried a custom West? I think you can only order them in Oz, but for how much longer I do not know... :?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Mon May 02, 2011 10:41 am

Can't speak for the e-bombs, but I've got an Xcel Infiniti 3/2 back zip and it's way too hot for Sydney except in August/September.
It's got that yellow fleecy stuff all the way to the knees on front and back.Makes a HUGE difference to the temperature, IMO.
When I first got it the leg and arm seals were so good that you'd stay bone dry for about 10 minutes out the back. I still have to flush water through about every 20 minutes if I'm paddling much.
It's a bit too small for me, Medium instead of Medium Tall, because I got it on sale for a reasonable price, and wanted one that was good for windsurfing too (need good leg seals).
Going to get a 1.5mm radiator steamer this winter and see how I go. Might have to wear my springy or wetsuit vest over the top! Have some old Hotskin shorts which go well too.

Coops, haven't you said in the past you get Rip Curl suits for free? Want to declare any interests?

mrleed

Post by mrleed » Mon May 02, 2011 11:36 am

Just moved back from California where I wore a wetsuit more than biz suits. Having tried most of the major brands, I will go out on a limb here and say:-

Matuse wetsuits are by far the best wetsuits on the market!

Simply check it out for yourselves at

http://matuse.com/shop/mens-wetsuits/

And with the Aussie $ at all time post float highs, there is zero reason not to call them and get one sent over. Still cheaper than the stuff from majors!

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon May 02, 2011 5:39 pm

Just call mrreed at Matuse to get a 50% discount. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

mrleed

Post by mrleed » Mon May 02, 2011 8:52 pm

If I could get 50% off, I would buy one now.

Plus I would disclose any associations in my post. Just a happy customer of Matuse, who by the way have arrived in OZ at a ridiculous price point.

Koby Abberton was sportin one at the bra the other day. He told me that he got them from his sponsor Analog and that they were the best he had ever worn.

But if I were to be pushing something, it would be the brand new never waxed Sunova that I have listed both on this forum and gumtree!!!!

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Tue May 03, 2011 8:39 am

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue May 03, 2011 8:54 am

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Tue May 03, 2011 9:13 am

Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue May 03, 2011 11:01 am

robzig wrote:Right now in the wetsuit world Buell are it. Top of the tree.......he's making them for Volcom, Nike 6.0, Globe, Oakley, Reef, Monster, RVCA, Rusty team riders etc.

He has gone solo after being at Hotline for along time. I'm a big fan (in wetsuit nerd world)

Problem is they are hard to get your hands on. But crap on everything else at the moment (off the rack that is).
Look fine, if what you are saying is legit they are very cheap too.

If I'm a regular M in Australia, would that equate to "sorry we don't have any sizes for people under 200kgs" in USA?

Suppose I could buy it and send it back if it's the wrong size. Seriously considering it Robzig. Are you on the up and up?
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

still here
charger

Post by still here » Tue May 03, 2011 11:40 am

The name , the stitch , the cut , the hype and a whole lot of bullshit goes into wetsuits . If you can find a perfect fit , THAT is what counts in terms of warmth and flex .
My suit is a cheapo 2 mm but it fits perfectly for me and is warm enough for me down to 10 degree water (on briefish trips back to the cold) . I've seen guys with 2/3/4 combos with rhinohide breastplates , back strips , double flap overs , fancy this and that and they're no warmer , much stiffer , and they're talking about needing a new wetsuit . Take fit over model always .
You just got to hope that the perfect fit for you happens to be the cheaper one and not $600 etc .

I hate wearing steamers (had 15 years where it was needed every surf year-round ) . Strange how it seems every backpacking newbie in sydney proudly suits up into a brand spanker steamer at about twice the price of their board , no matter if it's 35 C and 23 degree water . Meanwhile the oldies are swimming laps in the pools every morning at sunrise in winter with just a cozzie .

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Tue May 03, 2011 11:46 am

Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue May 03, 2011 11:51 am

still here wrote: Take fit over model always .
You just got to hope that the perfect fit for you happens to be the cheaper one and not $600 etc .
I do, problem is they aren't always the same. I have a Peak springy ($) which is gold, fit RC vests and rashies ($$$) the best, and O'Neill steamers ($$$$)

Olds, there is a sizing chart. None in my size.