Dead whale at Flinders

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

pinhead
barnacle

Dead whale at Flinders

Post by pinhead » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:36 am

The Age today reports that there is a dead whale on the beach at Flinders and whitey has been sniffing around. Anyone have anymore detail on this? like where exactly the dead whale is?

Grooter
Duke Status

Re: Dead whale at Flinders

Post by Grooter » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:19 am

^^^

Geez they got in late with that one. It was there three weeks ago

The one I saw it is directly at the bottom of the cliff where you paddle out to Big Left.

Never saw any noahs when I was out there but a couple of other guys swore that they did :shock:

Fcuked if I'm surfing down at Flinders for a while until they remove it, it's in a difficult spot too....
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:51 pm

I wonder who though is reponsible for removing whale carcases? I'm guessing nobody, which is why its been there for three weeks. There's a lot of oil on a whale carcass, I wonder if you could stack some wood on it and burn it? Would that be illegal? Probably be some form of arson. Still the locals might want to consider that option if they don't want to be surfing a shark magnet.

huie
Local

Post by huie » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:32 pm

pinhead wrote:I wonder who though is reponsible for removing whale carcases? I'm guessing nobody, which is why its been there for three weeks. There's a lot of oil on a whale carcass, I wonder if you could stack some wood on it and burn it? Would that be illegal? Probably be some form of arson. Still the locals might want to consider that option if they don't want to be surfing a shark magnet.
pinhead dont surf there fish there everything that swims will hanging around :lol:

contorx

Post by contorx » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:48 pm

i was speaking to a few mates who said it washed up somewhere around the area of big left and cyrils. which already feels pretty sharky even without a washed up whale lying around the shore!

but theres always sharks being spotted around there, whale or no whale...

just surf the breaks east of it for now.

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:30 pm

once saw a dead cow at flinders one year. it had fallen over a cliff onto the beach.

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:35 pm

No better time than now then for the SUP's to get out there! :wink: Dead whale or SUP, what's the difference...

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:46 pm

You had to go make an SUP jibe out of it din'cha Wingy...

(Not that I mind, of course...) But wait 'til they put outboards on 'em, then you'll be sorry you picked on the sods...

As for whale carcasses, would'nt the sharks figure out that its on the land, and give it a miss? Like, they would have to beach themselves to get at the din-dins?

Josh
www.joshdowlingshape.com

Wingnut
regular

Post by Wingnut » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:53 pm

Lol, couldn't help myself Josh. Sick of the bastards out at BiG Left...

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:29 am

Wingnut wrote:Lol, couldn't help myself Josh. Sick of the bastards out at BiG Left...
Aye hence the reason why I got an 8' 6" longboard, shaped specifically for this place. I can now compete with these cnuts, ditto the goat boaters.
contorx wrote:i was speaking to a few mates who said it washed up somewhere around the area of big left and cyrils. which already feels pretty sharky even without a washed up whale lying around the shore!

but theres always sharks being spotted around there, whale or no whale...

just surf the breaks east of it for now.
Yep directly under the cliff in front of Big Left.

Always been sharks, Westernport is full of them, but with a big rotting carcuss out there I'm avoiding it for a while

The Gunnery is going to get crowded for the next month or more.... :roll:
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:10 am

huie wrote:pinhead dont surf there fish there everything that swims will hanging around :lol:
too right!
my grandfather got some of the last batch of whale oil out of WA when they were finishing up. a few drops of that in the water and the fishing goes off!

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:20 am

huie wrote:
pinhead wrote:
pinhead dont surf there fish there everything that swims will hanging around :lol:
I don't fish, but I'm thinking this might make Western port less sharky.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:56 pm

tallguy
Grommet

Post by tallguy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:09 pm

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:52 pm

NickyG
Grommet

Post by NickyG » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:06 pm

Yeah i was down at Shoreham the other day and was talking to some other locals about it.. Supposably everyone didnt really mind it and still went out even with the whale just sitting there. From what ive heard they do normally burn then but when i saw it she was pretty ugly.. some animals or hungry buggers had had a mung on it..

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed May 12, 2010 1:16 pm

Went round to my sisters place on the weekend, her partner had been down to check it out and only the skull and a few bones are left now.

No idea what happened to the rest of it, shark warnings are still posted there but I reckon they'll be gone by now

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Thu May 13, 2010 3:08 pm