Designs for front foot and backfoot surfers

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Designs for front foot and backfoot surfers

Post by alakaboo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:23 am

following up on the other thread, what are the design aspects that would appeal to or work better for the different types of surfers?
or for the picky ones, those who distribute their weight differently :)

fong touched on this, with the mccoy stuff. but i want to know more, so i can get boards that work better for me. any input from technically good surfers or those interested in design would be appreciated.

Background:
I put far too much weight on the back foot,and I've destroyed the ball of my back foot in 2 separate injuries, so I tend to also roll outwards (i.e. backwards) so despite my best efforts and intentions, i'm unlikely to change my weight distribution greatly.

I don't want this to be a discussion of how to change my technique, i'll keep working on that.
but IF nothing changed about my weight distribution, what would work well for me?
and if I wanted to accelerate the change to a more balanced stance, what should I go for? Best thus far has been to go to a shorter, thinner board, as it forced me to lower my stance and balance out the weight better.

My own conclusions thus far: (comments/criticisms?)
i don't like single concaves.
i like Vs - shallow double concaves are okay.
i don't like tail rocker
I don't mind nose rocker, doesn't really come into play
i only really engage the forward rail and use it to initiate the turn on midlength boards where I can get forward a bit.
i surf much better on longer, flatter, higher volume boards where my stalling type of turn doesn't kill my ride.
i also like heavy boards, with more momentum

Jack Jack

Re: Designs for front foot and backfoot surfers

Post by Jack Jack » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:27 pm

I definitely beleive that surfers are either backfooted or rearfooted - although probably some fall in between the two - neutral.

Slater, Taj Burrows, Jordy Smith, Dayne Reynolds - are heavyily front footed.

The Hopgoods, Luke Egan, Occy, Taylor Knox - are heavily backfooted.

Certain board makers will advertise their "models" and let you know which is which.

I got a POD - and even though its only 510 - as a backfooted surfer - I can never drive it in my natural stance - I am always moving uncomfortably forward.

Conversely I got a JS Luke Egan - and I can drive it right back fronm the tail pad.

For back footed surfers - you want the wide point back from centre - not sure about the rocker - some say flatter - some say not - i notice my JS has quite a long drawn out tail rocker though.

One thing for sure - better to get a board with the right attributes to suit you - rather than try and change your stance.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:17 pm

alakaboo wrote:. but i want to know more, so i can get boards that work better for me. any input from technically good surfers or those interested in design would be appreciated.
rails are critical ( fancy me saying that :shock: )...

don't get me wrong about mccoy great design...once again b4 his time...my mate loves that board to death...just his a heavy, heavy back foot surfer...suits him perfect...me...naaaaaa :wink:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:18 am

Jack Jack wrote: surfers are either backfooted or rearfooted.
:lol: :lol:

I dont really agree that those surfers you mention are HEAVILY front foot surfers. They def surf off the front foot more than some others, but they are still well on the back foot through most turns.
Im with the people on the other thread who were a bit picky about this topic.
Anyway, apart from having a boards wide point further forward or back, im interested to hear from the shapers and more design knowledgable people out there just how much you incorporate the idea of front and back foot surfing into your designs.

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:15 am

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:16 am

mustkillmulloway wrote: don't get me wrong about mccoy great design...once again b4 his time...my mate loves that board to death...just his a heavy, heavy back foot surfer...suits him perfect...me...naaaaaa :wink:
i've tried a mccoy or 2 aswell, wasn't talking about them specifically.
I can't really get into the nugget, I'm not that powerful
but I rode a minigun which went unreal, and an interchange nugget which was thinner and went well even though the waves didn't suit it.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:22 am

robzig wrote: But the first thing you should try and do is correct your surfing technique if you do that.
i'm working on it...the first step is to acknowledge the problem.. :)

having broken both feet badly, my lower back, and neck, I'm never going to be great, and I am working within those limitations.
mustkillmulloway wrote:rails are critical ( fancy me saying that :shock: )...
any more info? i've found bevelled edges pretty fun, as long as they stop before the fins

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:39 am

That mkes sense guard. When surfing my fat-bat ill rock forward when going down the line but I think my weight is more centred than forward, using both back and front foot to pump down the line, where on my shortboard the rock forward while generating speed down the line is not nearly as pronounced, and if I do slip into surfing it like I do the fat-back ill start to bog instantly. Same thing through turns.

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:40 pm

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:24 pm

i'm curious, if you are a backfoot surfer, why don't you like tail rocker?
my foot rolls out like you, i'm also a backfoot surfer & tail rocker, IMHO is the best thing for manoeuvring in the pocket, tight snaps off the top, is the best thing since sliced bread.
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:49 pm

probably should have been a bit more specific...

i like tail kick a lot, but i don't like gradual tail rocker starting from further forward.
i'm not an advanced surfer by any means, and i'm moving down from longboards and hybrids, so i'm not normally in or near the pocket either, or turning off the top much.

i'm looking to learn, nothing is set in stone, so i'm keen to hear and discuss different ideas