Nick Carrol's Book - The Complete Guide to Surfing Your Best

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Nick Carrol's Book - The Complete Guide to Surfing Your Best

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:29 pm

I was searching for a previous thread about your book Nick, but I had trouble finding anything.

I can't sing enough praise about this book. Who here has read it? What have you gained from it since?

I recently incorporated one of the basic principles you talk about Nick, and I can't believe how much of a difference it made. I had been surfing for months, kind of waiting for that next jump in ability that seemed to be taking a long time to come...I knew it would eventually, but reading your book and trying to put the principles into effect really sped that process up.

Heres the book anyway:

http://www.holisticpage.com.au/Complete ... 1447531006

I didn't want to give away what the principle is, I thought it would take away from the book. If you would prefer it that way Nick, just say so. I don't want to practically rewrite your book here for everyone :)
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Re: Nick Carrol's Book - The Complete Guide to Surfing Your Best

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:37 pm

hmmm....i find the paper a bit glossly make it effective on the toilet :lol:

what i found interesting is....how things i've been doing for yonks...suddenly where explained too me and now than it just being instinct...it makes sense on a normal level 8) like i understand why i surf like that...and thats given me a clue enhance what i already been doing right

that and this whole change your foot angle thing...done it foreva with the front foot....playing around for the last two years with my back foot too after reading vol 2 8) interesting results..still testing :idea:

i wouldn't want take all his advice on board ( ha..pun..ok...stupid pun :cry: )...no matter if his right....i don't want surf like everyone else :idea:

but it's worth buying for the paddling advice alone

lift the elbows....has saved me a world of pain 8)
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:22 pm

Fingers slighly opened - not cuped. Focus energy on the foreams / hands - keep your shoulders loose.

I can go all day now
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:31 pm

LONGINUS wrote:
I can go all day now

we don't want hear about your sex life...yet...save that for surf story day 69 :idea:

try put your weight on both feet :idea: rather than just surf hard off your back one

is lots fun muck around with

p.s that and correct sticker placement.....just having the sticker in the right place has increased my chances of a cover shot no end :lol:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:00 pm

haha and incorporate the relaxed upper body and we're starting to get something rude..

(Now that other people have given away a few tips, I'll give away one. Please object if you want Nick) It was amazing what happened when I put a conscious effort into relaxing my upper body. Immediately I was so much more in contact with the power of the wave under my feet, and how the board was moving and reacting with the wave. I also started to surf faster, as I can imagine that the upper body tension would have been sapping some of the energy from the wave (all theory though..).

Straight away I was surfing with more flow, more power, and I was making little subtle adjustments based on what I was feeling between the board and the wave.

Gold stuff Nick, thank you!

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:29 pm

I feel nauseous.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:41 pm

Animal_Chin wrote:I feel nauseous.

thats covered in chapter five.....using drugs and surfing at a advanced level :lol:

see ai this week @ snapper for further experiences

bc
charger

Post by bc » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:12 am

Nauseated
http://phrogz.net/nauseous

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:02 am

I have an autographed copy ... thanks to Surfrider Australia ... its fantastic ... just the right thickness to put under the kitchen table leg and stop it wobbling.

Seriously though ... it is a well writ read ... onya Nick.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:51 am

bc wrote:
Nauseated

peterb
Grommet

Post by peterb » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:41 pm

i too loved the book nic....but why is it volume two?.....was there a volume one?

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:34 am

Book one was about walking out in the mush in kiddies corner and standing up on a foamy.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:41 am

peterb wrote:i too loved the book nic....but why is it volume two?.....was there a volume one?
If memory serves it's actually not a second volume but a revamped 'new and improved' version of the original book. As Capt says there was an extensive discussion of it some time ago. I haven't delved into it for a while but will do soon - definitely worth a read.
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:49 am

Animal_Chin wrote:
bc wrote:
Nauseated
Classic :lol: As an editor I think this will have to be displayed on my wall at work - or maybe even on a T shirt
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:35 am

Cpt.Caveman wrote:I was searching for a previous thread about your book Nick, but I had trouble finding anything.

I can't sing enough praise about this book. Who here has read it? What have you gained from it since?

I recently incorporated one of the basic principles you talk about Nick, and I can't believe how much of a difference it made. I had been surfing for months, kind of waiting for that next jump in ability that seemed to be taking a long time to come...I knew it would eventually, but reading your book and trying to put the principles into effect really sped that process up.

Heres the book anyway:

http://www.holisticpage.com.au/Complete ... 1447531006

I didn't want to give away what the principle is, I thought it would take away from the book. If you would prefer it that way Nick, just say so. I don't want to practically rewrite your book here for everyone :)
Here's the link. Its a Sticky in shortboarders only
http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=12430
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:58 am

Glad you're enjoying it Capt.

peterb there's a vol one, it was done a few years before vol 2, I'm always trying to evolve my own understanding of surfing techniques and how we all develop 'em differently etc, so I end up doing another book like this every few years full of the latest nonsense I've been able to half figure out.

No doubt there will be another one in the near future

I think the thing I like about it is that it's actually real and concrete -- if you can transfer a bit of your surfing knowledge to someone else and their own surfing experience goes up a notch, then you've really helped -- it's not just culture-babble or surf-hero boosterism or whatever else passes for about 70% of surf writing.

Plus it helps yourself, like I'm pretty old now to be trying to surf well, but luckily I've had plenty of style improvement to make :lol: Almost makes up for the slowly failing body.

mustkill has the idea, nobody's gonna be able to teach you the ultimate cuttie or whatever, nobody can tell you what you want to do on waves, really you have to teach and re-teach yourself. But you can get a lot of help in doing that.

SharkBoy
Grommet

Post by SharkBoy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:15 pm

i've always fared well with some pointers, whenever I have received them, I usually have a new focus or aim when I am surfing and that alone is grounds for building improvement (as opposed to surfing somewhat aimlessly)

I agree with the notion that you have to learn for yourself, but disagree with the notion that 'no one can teach you'.

When I was a grom, I learned to roundhouse because someone said 'look at the white water'

When I was snowboarding competitively, I learned a Mctwist because someone said ' Just look at your hand throughout the turn and the rotation will go on itself'

I have learned heaps of skate tricks because someone gave me a posture to assume or something to focus on.

The more of these I can get for surfing, the happier I'll be.

BTW, it was a great book, look forward to more

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:19 am

I agree. They're not simple put your foot here, lean here, step-by-step move tutorials. They're the kind of tips that seem to mesh all of a sudden one day, create a new and better feeling while on the wave, and ultimately lead to better surfing in one way or another. Kind of like the "uh huh!" effect, when everything suddenly comes together when before it was a little hit-and-miss.

Good idea, a purpose each surf. I'll have to put some thought into that next surf...