Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast presented by Land Rover

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast presented by Land Rover

Post by Lucky Al » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:44 am

i'm starting this thread for realsurf's #1 and #2 pro-surfing fans: munch and fong! i've got money on quiksilver and land rover to win this event, how about you?

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Re: Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast presented by Land Rover

Post by Lucky Al » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:15 am

my predictions for the coming week:

peter morrison will declare bankruptcy and set sail for the bahamas but nick carroll will paddle after his boat and drag him back and beat the crap out of him in front of everyone at snapper!

buff_brad will hook up with three or four girls in their early twenties and one forty-year-old boy and fry his brain with coke while having anal sex and watching rocco vids in a hotel room overlooking duranbah!

steve shearer will diligently take notes on weather, sea and sand conditions, competitor performances and attitudes, crowd psychology, asp backroom gossip and goings-on... for the first three days of the event! on the afternoon of the third day he'll start drinking the free piss his swellnet media card gives him access to and wake up late the next morning under a bush at burleigh heads and wonder where everyone went! fortunately a soulful old surfer will mutter something profound as he passes the bush on his way out the surf giving steve all he needs to write the article and bring home the bacon!

longinus will hand out ten thousand surfing atlas stickers to brazilian and japanese spectators!

one of the competitors will win the event!

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:57 pm

please quicksilver/landrover.....get someone who knows how use the cameras down there,

p.p.s how good was campbos wave 8)
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:43 pm

have you ever driven a land rover, fong? any idea what they're like? good for surf trips into the desert or what?

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:45 pm

steve shearer's reporting from snapper for swellnet isn't too shoddy: http://swellnet.com.au/news/345-the-outsider-27-02-10 show us ya pen, steve!

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:44 pm

Lucky Al wrote:have you ever driven a land rover, fong? any idea what they're like? good for surf trips into the desert or what?
yes big al....iI've driven one....driven one for months :x ...i prefer not think about that time my life , thanks for bringin it up :cry:

they are quite capable off rd....excellent in the desert...so i therefor would say good for beach............plus the old one had aluminium body...no rust...thirsty as oil fu.k :lol:

.....they breakdown all the time....are f.ucken terrible drive ( mind u...mine had a spare on the bonnet and tonne shit in the back), stinkin hot or cruelly cold....just pathetic in the cab.......but basically just terrible unreliable for the work i was doing in them

that was all a few decades ago , but i still think the defenders shit compared too a hi lux :!:

and i'd hitch b4 i paid good money for one :x

p.s did anyone else see cambos 2 nd wave...they had left the live broadcast to do a pathic little interview...but i saw half the ride ( can they fuck the stupid interviews off till between heats please :idea: ).....he fuc.kin whail it 8) ....best goofy wave the day...therefore best overall :lol:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:53 pm

Just watching the heats on demand. Can someone please tell me how the feck Slaters 2nd wave was a 9.27? yeah sure he got a barrel, but it wasn't even deep, and apart from one decent cuttie, the rest of the wave was very average indeed.

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:57 pm

p.s did anyone else see cambos 2 nd wave...they had left the live broadcast to do a pathic little interview...but i saw half the ride ( can they **** the stupid interviews off till between heats please :idea: ).....he fuc.kin whail it 8) ....best goofy wave the day...therefore best overall :lol:[/quote]

Fcuk yeah! It was the best wave of the day - deepest barrel and best hacks afterward - no fukcing replay though...
Fcuking shite fcuking uni student camera operators and directors!!!1 :evil: :evil:

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:58 pm

Oi Puurri, I know you're looking...

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:39 pm

I wuz standin on the hill with Baddy.
He was ropeable they missed/down judged Campbos wave.
Ropeable.
Had to restrain from throwing a brick at the judges tower.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:02 pm

I saw it to fong, behind said interview and take note that heat ten is not in the heats on demand.

and thanks LA, I wouldn't of known it's on :D

p.s nick and steve post a pick of ya pens
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:30 pm

Donweather wrote:Just watching the heats on demand. Can someone please tell me how the feck Slaters 2nd wave was a 9.27? .
when u consider cambos wave was a 7 something....makes kellys look like a 5.5 :shock:

than again.....slater had head starts ( ie...judges score him extra just for catching a wave) for a few decades now :roll:

tis slater....tis over scored :idea:

it amazes me slaters the face of the promo ads too

given micks the world champ and it's his local

than again....i'm amazed how good a ad quicky can make....than feed us this 3rd rate crap as a live webcast :roll:

reflects on them.....not sort gear i want buy given "quality " this broadcast :idea:

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:44 pm

mustkillmulloway wrote:they are quite capable off rd....
"We're gonna go up that bit there." (points) all eyes follow the direction of the finger, heads swivelling upwards. "fuck off we are...that's a cliff, that is...".

We all got up the bastard too.
offshore1 wrote:^^^I don't think anyone really cares [about boogie boarders] anymore Dae.
\none left on the forum.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:49 pm

After an early morning surf at my local beachy ... followed by a big bowl of porridge and a freshly brewed mug of Byron Bay's finest coffee ... I grabbed my camera ... and headed down to the freak show.
Arriving just in time to witness Mr Slater in action ... OK so I missed his first wave. Kelly out surfed his opponents ... no doubting that ... but he seemed to bog his rail a fair bit ... no not bury ... bog. It was a bit scrappy and lacked fluidity. His last wave ... a 9.25 was good so maybe he was just dusting off the cobwebs.
The following heats were going to be interesting ... and with Adriano de Souza in the next heat it wasn't long before he showed why he was No 5 in the world ... with one of the biggest hacks of the day.
Next up was Taj ... Davo and Neco in a low scoring heat where only Davo managed to get out of first gear. The other two just couldn't get started ... giving the North Narrabeen local an easy walk to third base.
Now this was what I had come to see ... next up was Mick Fanning ... Kai Otton and Garoot the wonder grom ... Davids son ... the pocket rocket Garret Parkes.
Any thoughts that Mick might be off his game after clinching his second title last year were soon put to rest ... as he monstered the break at Snapper ... tearing out the hearts of his opponents and laying down the gauntlet to anyone game enough to challenge for his throne.
One wave in particular was an absolute screamer from deep behind the rock. An ugly maelstrom of sand and water. The spectators can't see the surfers take off from behind the rock ... so as the wave came past the point it was impossible to know that inside this churning black hole was a blur of white lightning ... until it miraculously emerged and smote the beast with an almighty roar from the crowd.
Mick had two throw aways of 7 and 7.5. On the other hand ... Kai and Garoot had a hard day at the office ... especially young Garret who broke two boards during the heat. Garret was actually on the next wave after Mick's bomb ... but as it looked like he was going to emulate the No 1 ... with an equally amazing escape from the pit of death ... it unceremoniously swatted him and snapped his board in twain.
Mick scored a 9.03 for his outrageous tube ride. Kelly a 9.25 for his best wave. I'm no expert ... but the criteria has an emphasis on critical. Kelly's wave was very good ... Fanning's wave by definition was about as critical as it gets. It would have been interesting to see the two waves scored in the same heat.

Tsunami what tsunami. The freak show is having a rest today. Nick and Steve have the day free to compare hand held scribbling tools. Play nicely you two.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Shane Peel
regular

Post by Shane Peel » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:03 pm

Lucky Al wrote:steve shearer's reporting from snapper for swellnet isn't too shoddy: http://swellnet.com.au/news/345-the-outsider-27-02-10 show us ya pen, steve!
MMM pure gold eh?
"Her turns are manly and technically perfect and her grace is feminine and delightful. In golden afternoon light she glides down sun-spangled peelers sending spray fountains festooned with rainbows up into the sky-scrapered background".
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D A rainbow theme that appears twice sheeba perhaps hinting at something deeper :D :D :D :D :D :D

All jokes aside a good report mate but you have better in ya I look forward to the next … if the Big wave don't wipe it all away.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:54 pm

Shane Peel wrote:. In golden afternoon light she glides down sun-spangled peelers sending spray fountains festooned with rainbows up into the sky-scrapered background".
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D A rainbow theme that appears twice sheeba perhaps hinting at something deeper :D :D :D :D :D :D

was he at the quicky pro or the mardi gras yesterday :?:

monkey
regular

Post by monkey » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:40 pm

Speaking of ripped off, check out Dingo's heat! Three rail to rail cutties, a carving 360 through the lip and a couple of reo's = a 5!!?

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:39 am

Quangers wrote:p.s did anyone else see cambos 2 nd wave...they had left the live broadcast to do a pathic little interview...but i saw half the ride ( can they **** the stupid interviews off till between heats please :idea: ).....he fuc.kin whail it 8) ....best goofy wave the day...therefore best overall :lol:

Fcuk yeah! It was the best wave of the day - deepest barrel and best hacks afterward - no darn replay though...
Fcuking shite fcuking uni student camera operators and directors!!!1 :evil: :evil:
Itching to see a replay of this grossly underscored ride, I rushed to the media room to watch it on the live screen feed. But no.

Discussed this with a person involved in the webcast; he claimed the replay function was down for most of the day.

No replays?? Surely a basic function of any kind of sporting broadcast? ahh yes, this must be the new, improved ASP webcasting oversight committee hard at work then.

This is a most interesting opening stanza: up front a blizzard of forceful positivism, behind the scenes a fair bit of cost-cutting and economic uncertainty, and the seismic jolts of last year's events (Champions Tour, Coolie Kids ruptures, etc etc) still etching deep cracks beneath the surface.

I just BET the ASP loved the massive two page interview spread with KS in the Sun-Herald, the day after he's top-scored at the contest, explaining to all and sundry how the sport needs to grow beyond its old surf industry power base and how the ESPN tour idea could well still happen.

No longer will I be shearer's whipping boy ... have finished the assignment I went up for (tracking Owen through his last 24 hours pre-debut) and going to wait till the Business End, by which time that dreadful man will no doubt be on the Rainbow Bay SLSC verandah, pissed as a newt and hugging Chas Smith and Tommy Peterson at the same time.

Tip: Bede.