Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast presented by Land Rover

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

el rancho
Duke Status

Re: Quiksilver Pro Gold Coast presented by Land Rover

Post by el rancho » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:45 am

how good did Reynolds go?

phwoar!

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:36 am

Rockin' Ron wrote:The 3D thing got exhausting by the end too. Can see why it's only 45 minutes long.
They say that an hour in the IMAX type set ups is about as much as your brain can handle. Have been aware of this for a long time.

Thanks for the review RR. Am considering taking the littl'uns to see it with me. Not sure now.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

foot-e

Post by foot-e » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:42 am

Nick Carroll wrote:[quote="Quangers"
No longer will I be shearer's whipping boy ... have finished the assignment I went up for (tracking Owen through his last 24 hours pre-debut) and going to wait till the Business End, by which time that dreadful man will no doubt be on the Rainbow Bay SLSC verandah, pissed as a newt and hugging Chas Smith and Tommy Peterson at the same time.
lol. gold.

Three man first round heats? umm did i miss something?

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:00 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:Actually Olds we agreed after that it would be quite educational for the 8yr old and may take him if we get around to it. Although it is quite loud some of the geopgraphical explanations and 3d diagrams explain things very well.

We sat next to a bloke who had three daughters with him youngest prob 4-5 and they seemd ok but the "alice in wonderland" shorts beforehand may terrify some.

The big screen and the noise may overwhelm...the total package is quite alot for alittle mind to process.
And a big one.

Had a quick look at the short on the web page. The music accompanying it was the usual assortment of noisy shit that had no connection whatever with water, flow, rhythm etc, just the usual crass thrash stuff that they often put in surf vids to indicate that it is being marketed to people under 17. :? :cry:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:49 pm

According to the commentator
Ben Matson, forecaster from Coastalwatch
:oops:
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:05 pm

Jesus Neco Padaratz is a snore to watch, looks like an old bloke surfing with a bad back (no offence to all the old guys with bad backs around here)

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:52 pm

Watching Dane Reynolds was interesting...It looked more like a competition re-wired version of his surfing. Not as much flair but more power and critical lines.

I'm thinking he might be a favorite to win!
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:31 pm

the imax sounds awful. kelly slater really is an idiot.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:41 pm

Cpt.Caveman wrote:Watching Dane Reynolds was interesting...It looked more like a competition re-wired version of his surfing. Not as much flair but more power and critical lines.

I'm thinking he might be a favorite to win!
Absolutely CC.. Was really impressed with his performance today.. Fast and intense I thought whilst definitely toned down.. He will be a Black Beauty me thinks...

BTW the webcast is absolute shite.. Lags between the heat surfing and the apparent live scores.. Also saw the wrong surfer in a heat on demand..
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:34 pm

I'll second that. Reynolds was on fire. Perfectly executed moves in all the critically correct places. How good did the waves look too!!!

Let's hope they run the finals early-mid next week then hey!!!

monkey
regular

Post by monkey » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:18 pm

[quote="Donweather"]I'll second that. Reynolds was on fire. Perfectly executed moves in all the critically correct places. How good did the waves look too!!!

I'll third that. Dane was on fire but man, if you are a rookie up against a "name" then expect your waves to be badly underscored. Watched Dane and Blake Thornton heat and bugger me if they didnt surf fairly identical waves where dane got 7's and Blake got 5's.

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:47 pm

^^
Are you serious. I thought they were generous with the scores they dropped for Thornton. He caught excellent waves that should have been destroyed. But instead done soft, non commital cutbacks.

Reynolds timing looked fractionally out. But he was still able to muscle his way through critical turns, to go with his tuberides. Hence the decent scores. if he really hits his straps, look out.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:54 pm

tiger wrote:^^

Reynolds timing looked fractionally out. But he was still able to muscle his way through critical turns, to go with his tuberides. Hence the decent scores. if he really hits his straps, look out.

I think you may be right Tiges. That was his first surf on that board!
I filmed each and evry one of his waves. I intend to study them closely and then upload them to SN.
His upper body rotation is so strong on his forehand.

His first heat should be uploaded there soon.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:35 am

monkey wrote: Watched Dane and Blake Thornton heat and bugger me if they didnt surf fairly identical waves where dane got 7's and Blake got 5's.
The waves might have been identical ... but the surfing wasn't.

A primer for our RSurfer contest fans -- beyond the ASP's admirable new criteria (written by the way by the so haughtily dismissed Perry Hatchett ... and how do I know he wrote it? "Cause I talked about it with him while he was writing it), here's what scores:

- Critical turn placement. Flat faced turns with little resolution (like what Blake was doing) gets ya nothing at all. Turns placed in steep areas of the lip, face, pocket etc, fully resolved (ie you come out the end of 'em with speed and precision) get you some.

- Turn angles. Take the turn through 180 degrees and you'll get more than taking it through 90. (This was Neco's downfall yesterday)

- Speed through turns. Do a turn at full speed and you'll get more than if you double pump and wait for everything to slow down a bit. (Dane's and Jordy's acts in this regard yesterday were dazzling. Not a double pump or rest period to be seen. Yeah Dane sure you just don't really care, that's why you threw yourself into your turns like a fcuken wild animal hey. Your timing was slightly off because you care. You're a performer! That's why you do all that photography etc! Relax and enjoy it!)

- well judged and well timed barrel riding. Not semi-head dips or doggy-door battles.

- significant air moves.

- completion of a variety of moves on the same wave. Repeat the same thing over and over again and the panel will ignore everything but the best of the turns. Do eight similar off the tops in a row and they'll treat you like you did one. Do three distinctly different types of off the top turn and they'll respond accordingly.

Fcuk, watching Lee Ann Curren yesterday was truly eerie, she surfed her heat in EXACTLY the same rhythms as her father used to in 1985.

lovenutz
regular

Post by lovenutz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:49 am

Dane and Jordy easy the best 2 heats.

Kelly was overscored and looked rusty.

Fanning surfed good and showed some flair...been boring and repetitive in the past IMO. I think he will step up his game this year

Andy looked slow....let see him next heat and make our minds up. I think he looks rattled

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:00 am

It'd be good if these" guidelines" were put somewhere the general public could see them, so sitting at home they could see how their own scoring stacks up against the judges.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:04 am

lovenutz wrote: Andy looked slow....let see him next heat and make our minds up. I think he looks rattled
He looked that way in the Burleigh comp as well.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:26 am

I reckon Slater looked unreal even if he is Kelly Slater. Jordy looked great (one for the guys who arent 5'8 and 68 kilos), and Reynolds riding a board with a trailer fin was interesting. Parko "to many weights not enough speed work".
Last edited by Davros on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.