definition of snaking

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

go hard
Grommet

definition of snaking

Post by go hard » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:07 pm

Excuse my ignorance but can some one please give me the definition of snaking as i was accused of it today and after 35yrs of surfing i thought i was in the right if i was the deepest .Can i also express my dismay at being told to f/off by some f/ing kiwi that is fresh off the boat .Am i surfing in N/Z or has curly been taken over by kiwis.

Cpt.Caveman
barnacle

Re: definition of snaking

Post by Cpt.Caveman » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:17 pm

Sounds unfun!

I always thought snaking was when someone is already waiting on the inside position with priority, and then you paddle around them to take priority off them, essentially stealing the wave.

Similarly, if you've caught the wave further out and are starting to take-off, and then someone on the inside takes off late under the lip after you're already up and riding, this is also snaking regardless of them having the inside.
Davros wrote:Ego saved - surfing experience rubbish.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:49 pm

I'd like to help but struggle to keep up.

I have asumed it is when someone paddles inside you, then there are variations where the surfer fakes to go one way to get the guys on his inside off the wave before going the other way, which is a neat trick if you can pull it off.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Lucky Al
Duke Status

Post by Lucky Al » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:57 pm

35 years is probably enough surfing go hard, time to give up your space in the curly lineup to some kiwi fresh off the boat and have a well earned rest.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:15 pm

You may be onto something Al.
I've been assured there's at least one ex-pro among our regular contributors. :wink:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

go hard
Grommet

Post by go hard » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:29 pm

The day I start surfing like half these wanna be try hard blow ins I ll hang up gloves.but as far as Im concerned they can f/off

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:04 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:21 pm

I think the worst examples of snaking are pr1cks who are on the outside but closer in to the beach, who look over their shoulder at you and paddle across your path from outside to inside. This move may delay you for a moment, causing you to be out of position or back off for a couple of all important paddle strokes - causing you to miss the wave. The "snake" then automatically claims position and scores the wave by default.

99.9% of the time I would not even consider this stunt... but I know guys who do it over, and over, wave after wave. To everyone.

I will make exceptions when a pair of fat gimps on a mini-mals have been hogging every set wave for the last 30 minutes, despite the fact they can barely turn and need 20m of clean face before they can fully get to their feet ( but somehow they always do??? ). If all other means of throwing them off their game fail, and I have never seen them before ( and in all liklihood never will again ), only then will I resort to the snake.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:00 am

Do you ride a mal?

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:05 am

Toby wrote:Some people might accuse you of snaking if you repeatedly paddle inside them to get priority, set after set. However, I do this all the time and it'd take a bold person to accuse me of it. E.g. I only do it to people who deserve it, kooks, non-locals or non-regulars if I'm a local or regular, kiwis fresh off the boat. I like to think I'm entitled to repeatedly paddle back to my position in the pecking order, not line up down the bottom of the ladder.
Spot on.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:41 am

Cpt.Caveman wrote: Similarly, if you've caught the wave further out and are starting to take-off, and then someone on the inside takes off late under the lip after you're already up and riding, this is also snaking regardless of them having the inside.
There's a variation on this:
A guy, inevitably on a mal, will paddle way out the back but on the outside. He paddles onto the approaching wave's shoulder and is up on his feet long before the wave has reached the guys on the inside. The mal rider on his feet then cuts back across the line of the inside guys destroying their chances of getting the wave.

IMO the guy on the mal for all intents and purposes is snaking.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:59 am

chrisb wrote:
Cpt.Caveman wrote: Similarly, if you've caught the wave further out and are starting to take-off, and then someone on the inside takes off late under the lip after you're already up and riding, this is also snaking regardless of them having the inside.
There's a variation on this:
A guy, inevitably on a mal, will paddle way out the back but on the outside. He paddles onto the approaching wave's shoulder and is up on his feet long before the wave has reached the guys on the inside. The mal rider on his feet then cuts back across the line of the inside guys destroying their chances of getting the wave.

IMO the guy on the mal for all intents and purposes is snaking.
Works the same if he's further out on the INSIDE as well. Hence my question as to whether gohard rides a mal. Continually paddling out further than the rest of the pack & thinking you have first call on any wave coming through is also snaking.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:18 am

Coops@DY wrote:
Toby wrote:Some people might accuse you of snaking if you repeatedly paddle inside them to get priority, set after set. However, I do this all the time and it'd take a bold person to accuse me of it. E.g. I only do it to people who deserve it, kooks, non-locals or non-regulars if I'm a local or regular, kiwis fresh off the boat. I like to think I'm entitled to repeatedly paddle back to my position in the pecking order, not line up down the bottom of the ladder.
Spot on.
suck a dick

Little
regular

Post by Little » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:34 am

[quote="dUg"]I think the worst examples of snaking are pr1cks who are on the outside but closer in to the beach, who look over their shoulder at you and paddle across your path from outside to inside. This move may delay you for a moment, causing you to be out of position or back off for a couple of all important paddle strokes - causing you to miss the wave. The "snake" then automatically claims position and scores the wave by default.

quote]
Anyone who does this to me gets paddled on hard. I once paddled onto some fu<k's back at Manly and tried to get up and ride him ( surf style, not doggie ).I've damaged my own boards this way several times but that's the price you pay for upholding justice. I regard snaking as a challenge to my right to a particular wave so the gloves are immediately off.
Damn you snakes, damn you to hell!

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:43 am

Karlos wrote:Continually paddling out further than the rest of the pack & thinking you have first call on any wave coming through is also snaking.
[/quote]
Not according to this:
IgnitionSuite_Image%283379%29.jpg
RIGHT OF WAY - Furthest out or waiting longest :?

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:48 am

daryl wrote:
Coops@DY wrote:
Spot on.
suck a dick
Go back to the valley, maaaan.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

go hard
Grommet

Post by go hard » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:05 pm

I dont ride a mal I ride a shorty mainly a 6' 6''x 19x2.5 thruster

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:17 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.