definition of snaking

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Freshie Boy
regular

Re: definition of snaking

Post by Freshie Boy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:19 pm

its not worth trying to be chivalrous and upholding "the code" on the northern beaches, unless youre out at places like DY point, northy, winki etc, where a lineup is required.

at a beachie its dog eat dog as far as im concerned. I let heaps of waves go while I wait for a good one, but if I have to snake all the other snakes in the lineup (most of whom have no actual idea what snaking is) so be it.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:25 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:12 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

Monty
Grommet

Post by Monty » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:49 pm

Yeah the old SUP's can be a problem. I was out at wallywood a couple of weeks ago and as most people would know the take-off area next to the rocks is pretty small to start with, add a single SUP to the mix and your chances of snagging a decent set wave almost disappear.

The SUP guy in question is the one that travels in a van with a pic of kite boards on the side. He's a pretty decent surfer and fortunately he isn't a full on wave hog either but he'll still be on a wave every set leaving the pack to fight for the other set wave or two.

ajohnsen
Duke Status

Post by ajohnsen » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:59 pm

daryl wrote:
Coops@DY wrote:
Toby wrote:Some people might accuse you of snaking if you repeatedly paddle inside them to get priority, set after set. However, I do this all the time and it'd take a bold person to accuse me of it. E.g. I only do it to people who deserve it, kooks, non-locals or non-regulars if I'm a local or regular, kiwis fresh off the boat. I like to think I'm entitled to repeatedly paddle back to my position in the pecking order, not line up down the bottom of the ladder.
Spot on.
suck a dick
^
Spot on.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:05 pm

dUg wrote:a pair of fat gimps on a mini-mals have been hogging every set wave for the last 30 minutes, despite the fact they can barely turn and need 20m of clean face before they can fully get to their feet .
oh come on dUg, this NEVER happens

and if it does ... you know you're surfing the wrong spot

actually not to steal go hard's thread but ... anyone got any great Fantasy Surf Situations (like the above) they'd care to share with us.

Here's one, my little brother goes an ENTIRE SURF without dropping in on someone.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:09 pm

We've had a few out the point. They are the much further out but we are on the inside around first rock or backdoor. The way the point is set out is a series of take off spots or shallower sections of reef that slowly slopes in towards the beach. So its your typical line up situation out there.

We were all taking off at first rock (the furthest inside) and these guys were actually trying to take off 20m further out of suckup, so they got on the wave first but we were all on the inside. The normal wave catching craft were taking off and by the time they got to suckup, a giant SUP was going straight down the wave. There were a couple of collisions. But it didnt stop them, they kept on doing it again, despite the offers to go in on the beach for fights.

The thing is that they didnt understand how sectioning points work and were plowing thought 10's of people before getting axed from the hollow pits. SUPs disturb the natural rhythm of people surfing in groups. A rhythm that has natural order.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:10 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:13 pm

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:22 pm

Toby wrote:I was wondering if you'd post Coops. There's a guy on the seabreeze forums who's started SUP riding your point. He should probably know a bit about the ocean, seeing as he's apparently been a multiple world champion goatboater (whatever that means). Your situation is exactly what scares me - they could take over every break with a defined breaking zone (i.e. everything but shifty beach breaks).
Have those goatboaters who hang in front of the clubhouse devolved to SUP's?
Geesuz wept.

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:22 pm

I think it's definitely the perception and expectation that mals & SUP's will act this way that causes angst in the lineup.

Sunday morning is a case in point, I arrived at the beach when it was light but the sun wasn't over the horizon yet, one guy in the water and two guys suiting up in the carpark. I paddled out right behind these two and so four of us were sharing and taking turns of the semi regular 3 foot (Iggy size not Trev size) peaks coming in for about half an hour. No words spoken but everyone realising when they hadn't had one for a while and whne to paddle for one and when not to. Then a 8 foot mini mal paddles out and yet before he had even got out the back or caught a wave, the four of us automatically started being cnuts paddling out a bit further, all paddling for a wave because we all knew the mal was going to start ruining the fun for us. Our perception of how these guys treat a lineup automatically influenced how we approached the rest of the session.

And don't get me started on the wankers at Yallingup on a Saturday or Sunday morning!

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:26 pm

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:33 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: actually not to steal go hard's thread but ... anyone got any great Fantasy Surf Situations they'd care to share with us.

Here's one, my little brother goes an ENTIRE SURF without dropping in on someone.

Backpackers across Sydney realise that surfing's just too hard to bother with & take it off their 'things we have to do while in Australia' list.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:33 pm

Davros wrote:
Toby wrote:I was wondering if you'd post Coops. There's a guy on the seabreeze forums who's started SUP riding your point. He should probably know a bit about the ocean, seeing as he's apparently been a multiple world champion goatboater (whatever that means). Your situation is exactly what scares me - they could take over every break with a defined breaking zone (i.e. everything but shifty beach breaks).
Have those goatboaters who hang in front of the clubhouse devolved to SUP's?
Jesus wept.
On the topic, if you are surfing like an old wounded buffalo (me) you will be eaten by the hyenas and deserve to be...."its like a jungle sometimes it makes me wonder how I keep from going under"

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:44 pm

------------

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:01 pm

Coops@DY wrote: Perfect example. A drop in by the SUP'er.

Coops, I hate SUP's as much as the next bloke but in that pic it looks as though the shortboarder is never going to make that section. I accept it's taken along the wave and maybe with some zoom which makes it all a bit hard to judge. Not sure the SUP rider is going to make it either.
Whatever, that raises another issue. How far back inside a "section" should a rider be before someone makes the call that he isn't going to make it and takes off on a wider peak?
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:09 pm

I smell rough justice being needed :!:
Just don't confuse the equipment with the attitude, It's the dickhead driving that's the problem, especially when they have an overblown sense of entitlement.
EG Three guys out at local one two mals and an young SUPer. 4ftish set waves at long intervals, guess who was taking 99% of the waves, paddle back to the true definition of snaking yelling "I'm on the inside fnuck off".
Had a quiet talk, explained about taking maybe a third of the waves, then went to drop in on the only set wave I had managed to snag. Remember old Dee Why habits and hit him with the old ankle chop re-entry felt good but ugly at the same time.... explained we knew his car and where he was staying first offence waxing and flat tyres, after that accordingly nastier penalties. Been years since this older and wiser fun seeker got so aggressive :twisted:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:19 pm

Trev, the shortboarder has had to straighten out. Thats what im talking about. Its the shortys wave, he was on the inside.
------------