New Swellnet Site

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

New Swellnet Site

Post by Kunji » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:51 pm

Looks pretty good. I like the structure. Not sure what happened to the individual beach checks, looks more like a regional condition report. Anyway its a good new looks. Bit slow at the moment but im sure that will be ironed out when fully complete.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

climbo
Grommet

Re: New Swellnet Site

Post by climbo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:01 pm

looks good with everything on one page, no scrolling all around the site to get various data. Like it !

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:24 pm

Where's my morning photo of the surf?

I hate change. :evil:

bookster
barnacle

Post by bookster » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:55 pm

I'm just happy that the tide times are finally on the report pages.

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:57 pm

Thanks for the nice words guys.. lots more to come over the coming weeks and months too :)
Animal_Chin wrote:Where's my morning photo of the surf?

What morning photo is missing? There's been absolutely no change to anything on the site (content wise), in fact we're only going to add more.

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:00 pm

thermalben wrote:Thanks for the nice words guys.. lots more to come over the coming weeks and months too :)
Animal_Chin wrote:Where's my morning photo of the surf?

What morning photo is missing? There's been absolutely no change to anything on the site (content wise), in fact we're only going to add more.
I would open my Swellnet bookmark and be looking at a photo of 13th beach taken by the dude who does the surf report for 13th beach. Below the photo is advice telling me I need to be riding a 7S superfish.

The superfish advice is still there but my photo is gone.

Quangers
Local

Post by Quangers » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:02 pm

It looks okay, but it is very slow... sometimes you need to click two or three times before it registers.
I do think it is an improvement though... just a question, are you guys looking to steal forum traffic from here :?:
(I'd still like a south coast forecast :wink: Sydney to the border doesn't quite cover all bases if you know what I mean)

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:17 pm

Animal_Chin wrote:I would open my Swellnet bookmark and be looking at a photo of 13th beach taken by the dude who does the surf report for 13th beach. Below the photo is advice telling me I need to be riding a 7S superfish.

Our 13th Beach reporter tried to upload an image this morning but there were some technical problems that meant it didn't get uploaded. Should be right from tomorrow (we've been debugging all day).

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:22 pm

Quangers wrote:It looks okay, but it is very slow... sometimes you need to click two or three times before it registers.
We had some speed issues earlier but they seem to have been cleared up. It's been super speedy here since about 1pm.
I do think it is an improvement though... just a question, are you guys looking to steal forum traffic from here :?:
We're not looking to steal anything from anyone.. if RS forum members come over to Swellnet, that's great, but we're not planning an ambush or anything like that. The Swellnet forum is (and is expected to be) a very, very small percentage of our site traffic.
(I'd still like a south coast forecast :wink: Sydney to the border doesn't quite cover all bases if you know what I mean)
Will have this covered in the next month or two :D (just got a few higher priority items to deal with first).

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:09 pm

thermalben wrote:
Animal_Chin wrote:I would open my Swellnet bookmark and be looking at a photo of 13th beach taken by the dude who does the surf report for 13th beach. Below the photo is advice telling me I need to be riding a 7S superfish.

Our 13th Beach reporter tried to upload an image this morning but there were some technical problems that meant it didn't get uploaded. Should be right from tomorrow (we've been debugging all day).
The Torquay reporter had the same problem?

If I don't see a photo of 1 foot mush first thing tomorrow morning I will be very upset.

If I do see a photo of 1 foot mush first thing tomorrow mor.......

thermalben
charger

Post by thermalben » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:17 pm

Animal_Chin wrote:The Torquay reporter had the same problem?
Yes, he did - he actually sent it to me to upload but we were mid-debugging so it didn't get uploaded.. and with the crappy surf in Vicco today it wasn't a priority.

There's always some degree of teething problems with any new website launch, and Swellnet is an extremely busy site, so anything minor quickly escalates into something much bigger (due to the large traffic loads). It's kinda hard to plan for.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:08 am

Well, there are a few RSs over there already, but which one is Dino. Could it be Fossil or is that a bit too obvious?
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:49 pm

I'll miss the curl curl guy, he at most times had a report before 6am which was good.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

2nd Reef
Harry the Hat

Post by 2nd Reef » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:56 pm

^^ That was Ben's report Spoon and he's still getting up to do them. However, rather then being specific to Curl Curl only the reports are now regional. Manly and Mona Vale cover that region.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:34 pm

lessormore wrote:Well, there are a few RSs over there already, but which one is Dino. Could it be Fossil or is that a bit too obvious?
I'd just like to point out that the guy posting a pic of a bodyboarder under the user name of trev -ain't me. :twisted:
I'm there, just to annoy Dino. :wink:
Woohoo! New user name. :)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:00 pm

thermalben wrote: We're not looking to steal anything from anyone.. if RS forum members come over to Swellnet, that's great, but we're not planning an ambush or anything like that. The Swellnet forum is (and is expected to be) a very, very small percentage of our site traffic.
Taking members from Realsurf may be unintentional, but IMO if another site offers an all-in-one surf-info-stop ie- cams,pics,reports,weather info, user galleries for video/pics AND forums then the future of Realsurf may be bleak.

As in all businesses,if you dont evolve with the times you will fall by the wayside unless you offer something unique( as with local shapers V the GSIs/ Surftech)

Once the Swellnet forums develop their own identity, and dare I say "soul" it could be goodnight for RS, as I think most people only come here for the forums.

PS-I'm in
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k