What does everyone think of Surfing World's 300 list?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

heath

What does everyone think of Surfing World's 300 list?

Post by heath » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:41 am

Hey just checked out Surfing World's latest issue and was interested in thinking what everyone thought about the list?

Personally i was a little surprised that some of the younger guys did not rate higher - like Mick and Joel.
Attachments
Picture 42.png
Surfing World
Picture 42.png (53.4 KiB) Viewed 5434 times

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Re: What does everyone think of Surfing World's 300 list?

Post by Yuke Hunt » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:17 am

Its rated on photographic appearances over the past 300 issues ... the rating system is explained at the beginning of the article. Interesting outcome ... other magazines would no doubt arrive at different conclusions. For example Mr Carroll's mob would definitely show a younger demographic ... with ASL being a younger publication.
I liked it ... some unusual characters appear on the list ... and deservingly so. Some good articles and photos ... can't ask for much more ... its a keeper ... well done SW.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

heath

Post by heath » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:46 am

Womble

Yeah i realise its based on appearances in the mag over the years. SW being the oldest running Australian magazine would obviously have older crew. But Mick and Joel have been around in the mag for you know like 10 plus years thought they might have ran a bit higher thats all.

Props to the SW boys though - easily best mag on the market at the mo.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:19 pm

Great mag, just renewed my subscription.

Layne ranking well outside the Top 100 is telling though.

Like, love or hate her she is a 7 times world champion and her rather low ranking would indicate, to me, that SW should try and address the balance a bit more towards covering womens surfing in future.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:32 pm

Wondering if Alana Blanchard rated higher? :roll:

Yes, I'm joking.

heath

Post by heath » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:31 pm

hahaha - i reckon Alana Blanchard should have been rated just for how good she looks, woops i mean surf!

Shane Peel
regular

Post by Shane Peel » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:25 am

I reckon the SW 300 is an awakening of sorts for the crew who are running it, a forced history lesson of sorts. I liked it enough to send em a story for the next available slot.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:50 am

Shane Peel wrote:I reckon the SW 300 is an awakening of sorts for the crew who are running it, a forced history lesson of sorts. I liked it enough to send em a story for the next available slot.
Pfft, please, you got an ad coming up with STC or something?

I did like Edition 300 but I think SW is doomed, since the Coastalwatch buyin it has been propped up by interests that have nothing to so with the original magazine, and there aren't a lot of 'surfers' left at Coastalwatch anymore. The last six months were like it was dragging it's sorry arse over the Edition 300 line, like Big Brother Series 7. I think it's a combo of not enough people / resources / budget to actually produce enough content to make a regular magazine that has now forced it to go back to bi monthly.

I think the Coastalwatch / SW model is flawed and the cracks are showing now. For the other magazines, the print product is their main sell and always will be, people dig the concept of paying for things in print. Their websites and the revenue they generate are extensions of the magazine.

The model is flipped at CW / SW - Coastalwatch online advertising is the main seller and the 'bonus deal' is pushed to the magazine, so the magazine becomes the revenue extension of a website. I already read ASL and The Surfers Journal so if you take their content from the site, all that is left is the cams - and I get those from Swellnet so...yeah.

Still, SW 300 was an excellent publication, it's just a pity they can't deliver that quality in every edition.
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:03 am

LONGINUS wrote:I already read .... The Surfers Journal
Is the Surfers Journal available from newsagents or bookstores in Syd-er-knee?

Stopped looking for it years ago because it was all too hard and I didn't want a subscription.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:11 am

Hmm, The Surfers Path is but not sure about Surfers Journal, I subscribe so get to receive it 2 months late as a reward for my 'patronage'
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:50 pm

Good to see Stewart get a nod in there.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

Little D
regular

Post by Little D » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:14 am

Im loving SW at the moment, so much so that I have just subscribed.
I think the writing is better, the photo quality so much better and it might just be me but are there less ads in a SW as compared to your ASL, Tracks etc?
Couple of really well written stories following Mick and Joel in the latest edition.

heath

Post by heath » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:44 am

LONGINUS,

I reckon the new issue of SW is even better than the last.

Not sure of all the politics your on about but its a good read none the less.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:25 pm

Little D wrote:Im loving SW at the moment, so much so that I have just subscribed.
I think the writing is better, the photo quality so much better and it might just be me but are there less ads in a SW as compared to your ASL, Tracks etc?
Couple of really well written stories following Mick and Joel in the latest edition.
Usually in order of less ads to editorial as a percentage it goes - Waves, ASL, STAB but all the mags generally stay within 5% of each other - so about 6 pages difference here and there.

loco4olas
charger

Post by loco4olas » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:06 am

LONGINUS wrote:
Shane Peel wrote:I reckon the SW 300 is an awakening of sorts for the crew who are running it, a forced history lesson of sorts. I liked it enough to send em a story for the next available slot.
Pfft, please, you got an ad coming up with STC or something?

I did like Edition 300 but I think SW is doomed, since the Coastalwatch buyin it has been propped up by interests that have nothing to so with the original magazine, and there aren't a lot of 'surfers' left at Coastalwatch anymore. The last six months were like it was dragging it's sorry arse over the Edition 300 line, like Big Brother Series 7. I think it's a combo of not enough people / resources / budget to actually produce enough content to make a regular magazine that has now forced it to go back to bi monthly.

I think the Coastalwatch / SW model is flawed and the cracks are showing now. For the other magazines, the print product is their main sell and always will be, people dig the concept of paying for things in print. Their websites and the revenue they generate are extensions of the magazine.

The model is flipped at CW / SW - Coastalwatch online advertising is the main seller and the 'bonus deal' is pushed to the magazine, so the magazine becomes the revenue extension of a website. I already read ASL and The Surfers Journal so if you take their content from the site, all that is left is the cams - and I get those from Swellnet so...yeah.

Still, SW 300 was an excellent publication, it's just a pity they can't deliver that quality in every edition.
Mate-you're so far off the mark and so damning that it smacks of a hidden agenda.

SW has gone from strength to strength in the past 2 or so years-their latest edition (301 I think it is) is outstanding. Their production quality and content is miles ahead of any other Aussie surf mag-it's the Aussie Surfer's Journal IMO.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:12 pm

I have to say that in my opinion SW is head and shoulders above the rest.

Great mag and I hope it continues.

Actually this just reminded me, I was planning on subscribing.

Apologies to the ASL guys here, it's just that ASL really seems to cater to groms more than me.

I like them both, just SW suits me more.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:00 pm

^^^

ASL only suits people under the age of 16, either mentally, physically or both.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love