BEDE DURBIDGE AND A LACK OF SPONSOR

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Re: BEDE DURBIDGE AND A LACK OF SPONSOR

Post by Davros » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:39 pm

Petria Thomas bemoaned the fact that she never had a sponsor, no one was game to say to her she had a head like a beaten favourite, but its a rank world we live in when sales to young males (and old) are predicated on looks. So gaylord metro.

Patagonia may be a good fit for Bede.

boardscape avalon
Local

Post by boardscape avalon » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:02 pm

what about MADA, he had the licensee deal here, maybe Layne could bankroll him a couple of her tank tops would look great on him.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:13 pm

Davros wrote:Petria Thomas bemoaned the fact that she never had a sponsor, no one was game to say to her she had a head like a beaten favourite, but its a rank world we live in when sales to young males (and old) are predicated on looks. So gaylord metro.

Yeah, cos most of their stuff is as ugly as Bede
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:23 pm

Davros wrote:Patagonia may be a good fit for Bede.
Already got the Malloys :(
Chillin wrote:Yeah, cos most of their stuff is as ugly as Bede
They make great gear Chillin, but at $1,000+ for a steamer they're just too expensive.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:31 pm

Didn't Bede also steadfastly stick with his board sponsor despite overtures from Al Merrick, because the guy had been shaping for him since he was a kid? Sounds like a thoroughly decent young chap. No wonder the big brands aren't willing to punt on him. What a bunch of f*cks.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:47 pm

Chillin wrote:
Davros wrote:Petria Thomas bemoaned the fact that she never had a sponsor, no one was game to say to her she had a head like a beaten favourite, but its a rank world we live in when sales to young males (and old) are predicated on looks. So gaylord metro.

Thats a bit rough mate.. I thought you two were close personal friends..

Even if he does look like Richie Cunninghams Ugly Brother.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:10 pm

jimmy1501 wrote:
Chillin wrote:

Thats a bit rough mate.. I thought you two were close personal friends..

Even if he does look like Richie Cunninghams Ugly Brother.
That would be Chip from Happy Days
Last edited by Davros on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:20 pm

Jimmy is refering to a piece i wrote in ASL's reader issue about Bede's tree lopping ability.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:59 pm

Nappy wrote:i think its more do to with his style, some time it just aint pretty. He's a great surfer though.
i quite like his style...all in the eye beholder i guess :?

( and as if parko wasn't going choke at pipe on his backhand....never his strongest approach is it :idea: )

longbum wrote:Nike 6.0 will do very well eventually, thats a certainty, just check the shoes the kids are wearing !

Bede just isn't as attractive as other guys to the brands target market. He's admired more by the matured crew................the same crew that don't buy shit.
Pretty simple equation.
yeah guilty as charged :oops:

one my new year rveo's is a new closet...and after reading dinos cutting advice in the real surf style council thread :oops:

lowes is out the picture :lol:

i want support my local surfshop a bit, sure i could buy cheaper online from the states....but do those shops give me free wax and lend me stuff for stupid amounts time :idea:

who stocks fox clothing :?: and is the stuff flash :?: cause my style next years gonna be flash 8)

p.s bede do well screw the asp and concentrate on getting into the chamionship tour....bigger money...better events ( as plan)
Last edited by mustkillmulloway on Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

bohdidontsurf
Local

Post by bohdidontsurf » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:12 pm

Ringmaster wrote:Good old Occy :lol: :lol: :lol:

God bless him.........

Yesterday he musta said Bede DurbRidge half a dozen times and when C.J Hobgood lost his heat, the first thing he was gunna do with Parko for winning the triple crown was "give him a high five and a cuddle"

Inspirational :!:
Fcuk, I really dont know why I am doing this but.....this issue is bigger than the war between ol ringy the coc.k smoker and me.......but I have to agree with him. Occy is great, his comeback legendary, his back hand formidable and apparently he is great with kids, really approachable.........but he isnt at commentators a.rse.hole. Seriously bad. Its like he is part adhd and part steddy eddy. He is all over the shop with a st st stutter thrown in for good measure. Funny, but fucking hard to listen to after a while (like 10 seconds).

I wouldnt mind a comment from NC about Bede not being good looking enough? I have no idea if he is good looking or not because he is a bloke and I dont walk around rating blokes, but I have heard this comment before and dismissed it as BS but maybe not? Finally, if Fox have sponsored him, go buy some of their gear. Any company that recognizes a guy like Bede has my support. I reckone I was 15 last time I bought something from Billabong and it was a pencil case !!. Fcuk Billabong I say !!!.

turtle
barnacle

Post by turtle » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:15 pm

i have recently bought myself a second pair of Okanuis, they are red and i love them. my first pair are the black 1's which i've had for 6yrs 3mnths and couple days, they are still in A1 CONDITION.

i feel good in them, i look good in them and i surf better in them, Okanuis. JUST DO IT
signatures, finally got it covered.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:25 pm

bohdidontsurf wrote:
I wouldnt mind a comment from NC about Bede not being good looking enough? I have no idea if he is good looking or not because he is a bloke and I dont walk around rating blokes, but I have heard this comment before and dismissed it as BS but maybe not?
BB would do him. :lol:
DurbidgeB.jpg
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:32 pm

is this his sponser :?: :arrow:

http://www.surfstitch.com/index.cfm/a/c ... pAodiFBdJA

free shipping sounds good me 8)

not flash enough for me sadly....singlet and boardies my old style :oops: .....there skillin me up since i moved here :shock:

like i'm going thearte and watching actors plus races where they have grass and security and it's safe take kids even :shock: ( caloundra...is there anything it can't do :shock: )

long way from kempsey :arrow: :lol:

but i do like the chicks gear....that looks ( cue sigh) "FOXY"

go bede :wink:

p.s his not that ugly....meataxe hit it 4 sure
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

SPAKKFILLA

Post by SPAKKFILLA » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:52 pm

I can see an opportunity for a Nike to step on in here and offer Bede a chunky 5 year deal to promote the brand. Why not? i f you were looking for reputable inroads into the game wouldn't you at least consider it? As much as I hate the concept from a marketing point of view to gain instant respect, sign up the guy on the outer, you know hes a shoe in for top 10 at least..money in the bank.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:15 am

bohdidontsurf wrote:
Ringmaster wrote:Good old Occy :lol: :lol: :lol:

God bless him.........

Yesterday he musta said Bede DurbRidge half a dozen times and when C.J Hobgood lost his heat, the first thing he was gunna do with Parko for winning the triple crown was "give him a high five and a cuddle"

Inspirational :!:
Fcuk, I really dont know why I am doing this but.....this issue is bigger than the war between ol ringy the coc.k smoker and me.......but I have to agree with him. Occy is great, his comeback legendary, his back hand formidable and apparently he is great with kids, really approachable.........but he isnt at commentators a.rse.hole. Seriously bad. Its like he is part adhd and part steddy eddy. He is all over the shop with a st st stutter thrown in for good measure. Funny, but **** hard to listen to after a while (like 10 seconds).

I wouldnt mind a comment from NC about Bede not being good looking enough? I have no idea if he is good looking or not because he is a bloke and I dont walk around rating blokes, but I have heard this comment before and dismissed it as BS but maybe not? Finally, if Fox have sponsored him, go buy some of their gear. Any company that recognizes a guy like Bede has my support. I reckone I was 15 last time I bought something from Billabong and it was a pencil case !!. Fcuk Billabong I say !!!.
yeah he is really good with kids... Sarge taught him everything he knows. Oops shouldn't have said that..
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:36 am

bohdidontsurf wrote:I wouldnt mind a comment from NC about Bede not being good looking enough?
Fcuk, what do you want me to say? He's got a head like a robber's dog.

But I really like and respect him nonetheless ... a more decent bloke you won't find.

Seriously now, I know none of you guys will believe this, but Bede got stuck in a crevice with Billabong. He asked for a very big step-up in the contract at a moment in history when Bong had just committed massive dollars to AI, Joel and Taj. They'd rolled the dice on those three before Bede had made his sudden rankings surge, and couldn't find what Bede wanted. Given his rankings spot (top five from almost nowhere), Bede couldn't accept what they could offer him, so they parted ways. There was no loss of integrity on either side as far as I could see.

Of course the temptation is to paint it in different colours; it suits many prejudices about the surf industry to say something about Big Bad Company Fcuks Over Good Guy. But as is so often the case, prejudice doesn't necessarily fit the facts. Indeed, the fact that Bede has a deal with the Bong-owned Xcel should give youse an indication that there's no bad blood.

ps he must have something going for him, at least he isn't going Bald like some ultra super surf stars I can think of.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:11 am

jimmy1501 wrote:yeah he is really good with kids... Sarge taught him everything he knows. Oops shouldn't have said that..
No you fcuking shouldn't jimmy, what a cnut of a thing to say.

Think before you post shit to try and sound cool :arrow: :evil:

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:34 am

TrevG wrote:
bohdidontsurf wrote:
I wouldnt mind a comment from NC about Bede not being good looking enough? I have no idea if he is good looking or not because he is a bloke and I dont walk around rating blokes, but I have heard this comment before and dismissed it as BS but maybe not?
BB would do him. :lol:
DurbidgeB.jpg
Projection Trevphor ..... projection. It's ok for a middle aged old "married" man to come out these days pal.

Moving along...................LOOKS has everything to do with it. Do you seriously think KS would've got to where he has today WITHOUT his looks?

I walk around rating blokes........not afraid to admit it. When I have time BB will rate his Realsurf mates on looks alone. Stay tuned.