Sporting Parents

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

diggerdickson
barnacle

Sporting Parents

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:28 pm

I recently went for a very early surf at my local at coolum while some sort of australia wide school contest or something was on. I was chatting with a older guy in the surf who was obviously a parent of some kid that was competing. We shared some waves, had a good laugh and genrally had a great time. He seemed a very down to earth and a humble guy.

He started telling me about his son who was doing allright in the contest scene and he went with him to his contests to support his son the best he could. It turned out his son was Owen Wright, if he turns out as down to earth as his old man and keeps himself well and truly grounded he will have a long and successful career.

I will definately be following young Mr Wright a little bit more closely now.

I hope the other young guys on the tour are supported as well by their parents as the Wright family obviously do.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Sporting Parents

Post by Kunji » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:43 pm

diggerdickson wrote: I will definately be following young Mr Wright a little bit more closely now.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:55 pm

Good luck to Wright senior and junior.

So many parents do this wrong, great to hear someone doing it right. It's easy to think that you can live your life through your kids. Good parents are a bit smarter than that.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:32 pm

I was just making that comment because of so much bad publicity other sports have had with parents, ie tennis parents, rugby parents running in to brawls and stuff like that. Dont know the history of surfing parents and wether or not there is some crackpots out there. Im sure there is but the wright family is not one of them
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:18 pm

I tell you what when the Wright family shows up to surf around here I get out of the water to watch.

Not because they are ill-mannered in the line-up but because it's such a good show to watch.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:34 pm

I wonder if the key difference is that Rob Wright himself is a lifelong surfer.

I know a few kids with non-surfing parents who think surfing is kind of just another jock sport and they truly scare the shit out of me. They want their kid to be the next millionaire surf star and they aren't shy about it either.

Luckily the ocean scares the shit out of these jock parents and they don't know how to cope with it. So it's pretty easy to de-fang 'em.

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:53 pm

This is something I think about a fair bit as a father of 3 and 4-year old boys. Probably all the more because I was never athletically gifted but have become a big fan of several sports later in life, so there may be a temptation to 'live through my kids' as they say. I'm sure my wife will pull me up if I start getting out of hand :lol:

The main thing from my point of view has to be that the child enjoys it and doesn't get too hung up on a win-at-all-costs mentality - which probably rules them out of being really successful since you seem to need a certain ruthlessness and unwavering focus to get to the top of any sport.
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:17 pm

Soccer parents can get pretty feral around my way. Even funnier when you see what these people do for a living. Luckily most kids don't hear the sh*t on the sideline. Even weirder since its under 12s :shock:
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

shaunmorrison
barnacle

Post by shaunmorrison » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:43 am

I was going through the files digging up dirt on you pack of cnunt stains and thought you may want to revisit this one seeing as the young chickie right did all wright and one a world title. :-D-:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:10 am

Kunji wrote:
diggerdickson wrote: I will definately be following young Mr Wright a little bit more closely now.

:lol:
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism