Bodyboarding is UNCOOL and therefore has an edge on surfing

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Jamoe
Local

Post by Jamoe » Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:57 pm

what is all that bodyboarding "Tension" Bullsh!t? how can there be hope for the sport when the people kids are supposed to look up to are destroying shopping centres and doing the whole naked thing to overkill. there is a line and they cross it by miles.

being a surfer myself i have no quelms (i think thats a word) with bodyboarders. the one thing that pisses me off about them is when big groups of them get off the bus and then sit in the surf in a big group. spread out a bit!

and you cant ride a lid at the haven! it is a waste of a wave as it is not sucky enough

thats my 2 cents

marcus
Owl status

kooks

Post by marcus » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:13 am

if they are getting in the way, send em in.
these kids that get off the bus and take over the joint are ruining it for the rest of us.
i dont have any problem with you telling them a piece of your mind, sounds like they need a good talking too, so many kids these days dont know the rules and ways of the line up.
im an out dated older bodyboarder, but when i started there wernt bb magasines and i had to read stand up ones, and i learnt to respect my elders and guys who have paid theyre dues.
if there are kids out there that dont know what they are doing, have a word to them, politely at first. no matter what they ride.
speaking on behalf of most guys i know, your doing us a favour because they continually ruin our reputation.
and guys try differen boards, if its not a bb wave then try a surfboard, no surfcraft is 100% functional in every condition, try something new, it will open your eyes.
thats my rant as well (these young kids are getting on my nerve)
cheers
marcus
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

halfy
Local
Location: Don't you think you've had a little too much to drink

Post by halfy » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:53 pm

that is an insightfull well thought out comment.

i respect any bodyboarder who still rides over 25+. it shows that they aint collapsing under sectional tension between there surfer buddies. its teh classic case of a couple of blokes around the age of 16 maybe 17, they all booger. one of them switches to stand up and the rest follow like sheep. its dissapointing as a bodyboarder to see this but i guess thats life

big up da minority

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:14 am

:wink: :lol:

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:21 am

Who said Knee boarders werent cool. Greenough is the coolest dude ever, same with Peter Crawford.

I dont mind boogie boarders if they can charge and understand the priority in the line ups. I often give waves to them if the waves are more suited to their equipment.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:51 am

Back to the subject of this thread: bodyboarding's "uncool" therefore it may have an edge on surfing, because it doesn't encourage the sport's popularity.

jeepers fricken creepers! I never even THOUGHT of that.

Thank the Lord bodyboarders are out there, bravely convincing other people not to get in the water, unlike all the crusty old surfer bastards who write to this forum swearing and carrying on about crowds and how it was so much better 500 years ago! If only they knew that by the mere ACT of grumpily going surfing, they're encouraging other people to go surfing too!!! The irony!

But is there a shred of evidence to suggest any of it? I doubt it. I suspect bodyboards are one of the root causes of surfing's current popularity. Thousands upon thousands of kids have caught their first waves on lids over the past 20 years. Things are probably changing now thanks to the proliferation of softboards and surf schools (you don't see too many bodyboarding schools, now do ya?), but they haven't changed that much yet.

In fact these are great days for bodyboarding. The mags are selling better than ever, the general skill levels seem higher, and at the sport's top end the best bodyboarders are pioneering numerous surf spots ahead of most or all stand-up riders.

You boogers wanna watch out -- you might end up "cool". Then you'll REALLY be buggered! You'll have to get into ... god knows what ... wakeboarding.

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:35 pm

smnmntl wrote: Watch what happens when a big outside set comes through: every lid in the lineup starts kicking away like a little kid with a foam bubble on his back
and once we get out the back, we look at all the surfers that got caught on the inside and dragged back, and we say "sux to be you" :lol:

booter
Local

Post by booter » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:23 pm

proud to be a bodyboarder? :lol: funniest thing I have ever read :lol:

Carbon
regular

Post by Carbon » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:51 pm

nubby wrote:lids are this, lids are that, misconception this, misconception that. cmon marcus are you kiddin me. why dont you and all the other 'lets just have fun" hippy throwbacks on this forum bake a big happy cake, hold hands and march down george st in a big doormat pride festival. peace, love and drop-ins to everyone. thankyou
we will leave that to you and your stick mate
smnmntl wrote:Matty.... surfers don't talk to each other in the water because many of them are secretly gay and just want to bum each other off.

snakes
barnacle

Post by snakes » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:57 pm

Amazing, this thread took 3 replies to go off-topic :roll:

snakes

Lidder
charger

Post by Lidder » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:48 pm

keep this thread going, gotta love countless bodyboarder vs surfer threads :D :o :lol:

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:52 pm

What about goat boats.................just how cool are they :?:

halfy
Local
Location: Don't you think you've had a little too much to drink

Post by halfy » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:00 pm

nice thread revival halfy.
haha i found this one on the last page of general surf discussion, like page 32 or sumthin

Alex.B
regular

Post by Alex.B » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:45 pm

Firstly to whoever claimed that all bodyboards are just pieces of foam that are not customized to the individual...you are wrong. There are a few companies that allow you to design your exact board and they are possibly the biggest selling companies at the moment that exist. Bodyboards are slower that surfboards but the speed of a surfboard is totally unecessary. I mean what do you use it for? missing the tube completely (which i see way too often) or doing a turn (which is a complete waste of time, looks gay, and takes zero skill. Thats right, i believe that riding a bodyboard well is a lot more difficult than riding a stick well....To do a turn on a stick, well thats easy as hell, to do an ars on a bodyboarder or a backflip or reverse air, certainly more difficult. And dont go and say what about reverse airs on a stick because that is a manoeuvre that barely anyone can do, let alone a non-proffessional surfer. Bodyboarders are generally less serious than surfers who hardly ever cheer or muck around or do anything remotely out of hppiness, just try to destroy the wave as much as they can by doing turns on them...stopping the wave from tubing more often than not. Bodyboards are easy to ride but to ride well takes a lot of time and skill. At my local i never recognise sticks from previous surfs, and every surf i have ever had for the last 6 months or so i have seen a fellow booger out that i know and am mates with. The thing that pisses me off the most about sticks is when they paddle for waves and miss them...it happens so damn often, they paddle and miss the wave causeing the wave to go through unridden and wasted. seriously, come on. That is true. Yes you can go ahead and blame it on the equipment you ride, another argument for the king that surfboards are not functional. Bodyboarding is extremely heavily dependant on style and to have a good style is bloody hard for most. Standups all look the same with minor individual flaws. Bodyboards can be taken to way more unbelievable positions on the wave, from underneath the lip when doing manoeuvres to extremely deep in the tube as well as breaking through the lip. Im afraid to tell you standups but getting upside and then landing the move back on the wave without foot straps is quite simply not possible. Bodyboarders do it all the time. Get over your turns and stop being so serious. Your arguments against bodyboarders and their equipment are flawed regarding function, once again you are just thinking about your aesthetic appeal to others, not the amount of fun your having. Contrary to what i have just said i have nothing against standup surfing or standup surfers, my best mate is one, and i have got one and have used it and had a ball..... their functionality and skill neede to ride them is just pathetic. and also the people riding them, evident from thsi website, obviously have no idea about anything else apart from their narrow minded opinions tht are often simply directed to annoy pople like myself. Now get back out there and keep up your TURNS......i do not want you surfng a heavy spot with me on a bodyboard when you realise how much better they are. Wow thanks for listening friends, have a lovely evening. Sleep well.

Alex.B
regular

Post by Alex.B » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:46 pm

Haha that is really marssive.

sykout
Local

Post by sykout » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:00 pm

when it gets big, its bodyboarders out there charging. Next time it gets big look at the proportion of bodyboarders compared to your average smaller day. To prove my point, next time it gets over 6ft, go down to deadmans and look whos out there.