Stoked

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

lessormore
barnacle

Stoked

Post by lessormore » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:41 pm

Just heard a good interview with Bob McTavish by Richard Fidler on 702ABC, talking about his new book Stoked.(they usually end up as a podcast). Anybody read it ? Great story about his stow-away to Hawaii.
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

lessormore
barnacle

Re: Stoked

Post by lessormore » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:46 am

Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

huie
Local

Post by huie » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:13 am

bahh'' humbug

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:56 pm

Bob is a great raconteur.
I'm sure he's used a little "licence" with some of the stories but they make great listening. His memories of the BeeGees start in Brisbane aren't quite accurate (or at least a little misleading) but I enjoyed his "stowaway" story. At the time he was the hero of every young surfer I knew on the Goldie (think it was just the "South Coast" then).
edit. became the Gold Coast officially in 1958.We moved there in 1956 hence my "South Coast" memories.
My kids can't believe there was so little security around travel in those days but Bob's right, you could talk yourself in anywhere if you had enough front.
Didn't know he had "found God" either.
Anyway, I enjoyed listening to it.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:31 pm

By naming his book "Stoked" Bob's taken away the obvious title for Mick Fanning's next book.... bloody hell, every second word...... :P

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:48 pm

He still don't shape on Satd'ys. :mrgreen:

surfresearch
Grommet

Post by surfresearch » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:52 am

McTavish, Bob: Stoked!
Hyams Publishing.
PO Box 171 Huskisson, NSW 2540, 2009.
http://www.hyams.com.au
Editors: Rosanne Fitzgibbons and Brian Purcell.
Hard cover, 431 pages, black and white photographs, Some of My Friends,
Glossary, Index.
Review
Bob McTavish's enthusiasm for surfing, and life generally, permeate Stoked!, covering his surfing career up to 1968, which leaves open the
possibility of a further volume covering the next 40 years.
While the formative years in Queensland as a member of Caloundra Surf Life Saving Club are highly interesting, for the reader who has closely followed McTavish's numerous media contributions, many of the stories from the 1960s are extremely familiar.
Indeed, in some cases their re-telling here seems to lack some of the freshness evident in the original published versions.
Some minor errors in dates or spelling (Milner, not Millner, page 38), are probably the responsibility of the editors.
A tendency to somewhat overstate the author's impact on the surfing industry is evident, for example the account of the development of the Vee bottom board during 1967 (Part Eight).
Midget Farrelly had already established the "lightweight" stringerless as an industry standard by 1966 and he played a major role in the subsequent
radical reduction in board lengths.
In 1973, McTavish wrote: "At the same time Midget's shop at Palm Beach was running stiff competition with us at Keyo's. As we'd cut 2" off, Midget would cut 4" off, then vice versa."
Significantly, he rejects the commonly held myth that his and Nat Young's plus nine foot Vee bottom surfboards taken to Hawaii in December 1967
initiated the Short Board Revolution (pages 383 to 396).

- Geoff Cater
http://www.surfresearch.com.au/rbm.html

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:01 pm

My father in law got me a copy for xmas 8) 8) 8) What a champ. I thought the missus had done it on his behalf but he did it off his own bat after hearing the interview. Stoked summed up my reaction pretty well.

What a pleasant change from usual xmas fair. Pretty good read I reckon. It reads like Robert Barrett was the ghost writer if your familiar with Les Norton novels. All good stuff and a trip down memory lane re: southern queensland and nth NSW. Pictures could be more glossy I guess but it gives it an old time feel.

Thats a pretty big wave he's on at Bells.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Animal_Chin
Local

Post by Animal_Chin » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:08 pm

Beanpole wrote:My father in law got me a copy for xmas 8) 8) 8) What a champ. I thought the missus had done it on his behalf but he did it off his own bat after hearing the interview. Stoked summed up my reaction pretty well.

What a pleasant change from usual xmas fair. Pretty good read I reckon. It reads like Robert Barrett was the ghost writer if your familiar with Les Norton novels. All good stuff and a trip down memory lane re: southern queensland and nth NSW. Pictures could be more glossy I guess but it gives it an old time feel.

Thats a pretty big wave he's on at Bells.
So Bob McTavish works the door of a Kings Cross nightclub, fills in 12 Maoris, then pulls a root with Tracey Grimshaw....

Nah that would never work.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:41 pm

Animal_Chin wrote:
So Bob McTavish works the door of a Kings Cross nightclub, fills in 12 Maoris, then pulls a root with Tracey Grimshaw....

Nah that would never work.
Wasn't that Gordon Ramsey :)

Not so far from the storyline except he wasn't a biff artist apparently.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:14 pm

Ordered this last Monday off Bob's website as the local Collins had sold out and told me that Bob was the only distributor.

Got an email today telling me that they only sent it Friday as Bob had been away, and they were waiting for him to sign it.

I didn't realise it came with a signature so am now unsure whether to be pleased about this new found development or not.

Anyone else read this recently? I just read the book about MP while in Queensland a couple of weeks ago. That was a pretty interesting read.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:14 pm

Probably liked it more than most surf bios because its an autobiography, he's pretty funny and he does some crazy stuff. A real window into those days I guess. At least Bob tries to explain his behaviour himself plus I reckon it captures the feeling of adventure well.

The trouble with reading about MP or Dora or even Hackman is the degree of idolisation and two bit psychoanalysis that fills out the text in those bios. Plus theyre all a bit like a slow motion train wreck with all these gifts being offered to them for their talent and them pissing it up against the wall for a variety of reasons. The author has to explain a lot of dubious behaviour.

Havent read Occys. Rabbit's was okay but laid it on a bit thick in a couple of spots and Slater was just one triumph after another apart from his early years. Real sports bio material.

An autographed copy of anything is worth more.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:35 am

Beanpole wrote:Probably liked it more than most surf bios because its an autobiography, he's pretty funny and he does some crazy stuff. A real window into those days I guess. At least Bob tries to explain his behaviour himself plus I reckon it captures the feeling of adventure well.

The trouble with reading about MP or Dora or even Hackman is the degree of idolisation and two bit psychoanalysis that fills out the text in those bios. Plus theyre all a bit like a slow motion train wreck with all these gifts being offered to them for their talent and them pissing it up against the wall for a variety of reasons. The author has to explain a lot of dubious behaviour.

Havent read Occys. Rabbit's was okay but laid it on a bit thick in a couple of spots and Slater was just one triumph after another apart from his early years. Real sports bio material.

An autographed copy of anything is worth more.
Thanks Beanpole, Occys was a good read and worth a look when you're stuck for what to read next.

MP was really interesting, although it didn't really capture the mood of the times with much impact and as you said, it does get a little too caught up in idolisation and psychoanalysis. It was great to learn more about that era though.

I think the best surfing based book I've read in a long time would still be "Someday', the story of Mick's 2007 world title win. Although it still has some of the usual idolisation aspects for certain pro's, it was interesting to see a world title year from semi inside the circle.

'Surfers' by Girggsy was also good, some of the guys he profiles are pretty interesting characters. Always been a fan of Jon Frank so it was good to get a glimpse into his thoughts and experiences. Also Peter Troy, what an amazing guy.

Having Bob autograph the copy doesn't really mean a much to me, was more frustrated by the fact that I had nothing to read and it's taking a while to get my hands on it. I'm not an autograph type of person.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:17 am

Me either but you never no what something may be worth one day. Borders Bookshop has a couple of copies at Bondi Junction so theyre around.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:55 am

Got an autographed copy of Paul Keatings biography, wonder what that's worth?

Years ago a lecturer at uni who knew him saw me reading it one day. Two weeks later I was given a signed copy :|

God knows I don't want it.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:17 pm

A mate of mine who works with Tommy occasionally got my copy of MP signed by MP. Kinda stoked about that although its not my usual ambition to collect autographs. He was a bit of a hero when I was a grommet. Funnily enough someone gave me Tom Carrolls bio as a gift and it had the MP logo with the tube and the horn of plenty on ricepaper inside. Don't know how it got there.

Tom's bios a good read I reckon. Personally I get pretty tired of the old "I knew I needed a 7.5 to make the final and then a wave came as if it was fate" type contest spiels for hundreds of pages.

One of the good and surprising things about McTavish's book is he doesn't really start raving about the shortboard revolution and counter culture stuff till about page 300. Most of its about being a beach bum/shaper with no money chasing waves and sleeping on the floor of the shaping room. Trying to bludge food and a lift to the surf.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:50 pm

Beanpole wrote:Most of its about being a beach bum/shaper with no money chasing waves and sleeping on the floor of the shaping room. Trying to bludge food and a lift to the surf.
Sounds like my kind of read, looking forward to it turning up!

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:34 pm

mical wrote:Got an autographed copy of Paul Keatings biography, wonder what that's worth?

Years ago a lecturer at uni who knew him saw me reading it one day. Two weeks later I was given a signed copy :|

God knows I don't want it.
I have Jack Brabham's autobiography, signed by him and also Billy Thorpe's second book signed by Billy himself.
If you go to a book launch you can buy the book and wait in line for the author to sign it.
Not my style but I discovered that, after the signing, many authors then sign all the rest of the shop's stock and they just go on the shelf.
So you go in the next day and pick it up, pay for it and you're out of there.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.