Stoked

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Stoked

Post by Trev » Thu May 06, 2010 11:54 am

So, I finally got to read this.
Absolutely enjoyed it.
Bob tells a good story. As someone said, he's a raconteur.
Historical accuracy isn't important in this type of work but boy he had a lot of fun.
I related to a number of his stories because I knew some of the people in them, or the places.
Interesting to note that, although he saw it earlier, it was 1964 when he first surfed Lennox. My fourth year high school class went there in the same year, to Lake Ainsworth National Fitness Camp. As we were from Tweed River High School, at least half the class were surfers and the days we were there the surf was pumping. We could see the point from out front of the camp and walke dup there one day. Unbelievable and not a surfboard to be seen. We even considered bodysurfing it. Probably best the teachers put a stop to that. Most of us got back there over the next 2 or 3 years but that was definitely the best surf I ever saw there until about 20 years ago.
McT talks about some of the Kirra surfers like Bogangar Bob (although he spelt it wrongly as Bogingar). Bogangar Bob Ryan was a local hero to us youngsters. He used to surf his catamaran out off Rainbow Bay and then one day he disappeared from the scene. The same day Ben Cropp's first wife left town.
Going to TRHS, there was a very beautiful young lady in the year above me, Eva Papp whose father owned an engineering business not far from Joe Larkin's surfboard factory. She became the second Mrs Cropp.
:shock: Sorry. Memories. 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

ppaattoo

Post by ppaattoo » Fri May 07, 2010 12:23 pm

a mate got me it for christmas... i normally struggle a bit getting thru biographies, but i couldnt put this one down. he had some great stories, and a lot of the time i found myself jealous that i wasnt around to surf back then

one that i recently finished that i had absolutely no expectations for, but actually found quite engaging was fannings new one, "Surf for your Life"

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Fri May 07, 2010 5:25 pm

I loved the book, i could not put it down once i got past the clubbie bits.

Epic stuff but i was reading it in some pretty knowledgable company during a recent trip away...where conversations about particular incidents ended up in the old nick name 'Bob Mcbullshit'

other than some slight queries, its an insane read. Get your history boots on and learn about surf evolution from 65-67...the best years for boards in my opinion!

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri May 07, 2010 7:12 pm

I think most of the history in the book is pretty accurate.
Bob's "take" on some of it might be questionable but, hey, it's his book and he's telling the story.
Why ruin a great read with dull facts.
To be honest, I can see plenty of bits where some journalistic licence has probably been taken. (as well as some exaggeration for effect).
But then, when you get into some of the questionable bits you are also in the era of drugs so everyone's memories might be a bit hazy. :wink:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri May 07, 2010 10:31 pm

Yes far better to rely on a truely altruistic observer like Nat. His humble musings about the shortboard revolution puts everything in perspective. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Personally I reckon McTavish's b*lls**t is as good as anyones although I would like to hear Greenough's take on it. He probably thinks theyre all behind the times since they stand up. Also Wayne Lynch and of course Midget. Midget doesn't seem interested in the limelight anymore which is his choice.

The thing with guys like McTavish and Brewer is the rave is all part of the picture.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

huie
Local

Post by huie » Sun May 09, 2010 4:11 pm

But then, when you get into some of the questionable bits you are also in the era of drugs so everyone's memories might be a bit hazy. :wink:
yes but it seems the anti drug people who were there dont get a say 8)

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun May 09, 2010 6:48 pm

huie wrote:
yes but it seems the anti drug people who were there dont get a say 8)
They can have their say on here.... 8)
Beanpole

Skipper

the trout
Grommet

Post by the trout » Thu May 13, 2010 9:11 pm

puurri wrote:He still don't shape on Satd'ys. :mrgreen:

well that photo on the front cover must have been taken on a saturday
not even on the cover of his own book :mrgreen:

surfresearch
Grommet

Re: Stoked!

Post by surfresearch » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:24 am

Following the release Bob McTavish’s Stoked! (2009) and the film Going Vertical in early 2010, I have spent the last six months reviewing my knowledge of the so-called “Shortboard Revolution”.
This week I have uploaded a number of source documents 1967-1968 and an associated draft paper, A period of transition: 1967-1968 "the shortboard revolution" (currently up to the end of 1967).
The paper, with links to the relevant source documents, is at:
http://www.surfresearch.com.au/1967_VeeBottom.html

Thesis
In the second half of 1967, intense competition between a group of elite surfers, shapers and manufacturers in Sydney, Australia, saw the beginnings of a progressive reduction in surfboard volume, commonly designated as the Shortboard Revolution.
This experimentation initiated further volume reduction into the early 1970s, profoundly changing surfing performance and board design worldwide.
As surfboard dimensions were progressively reduced, these smaller boards increased the speed at which maneuvers were completed and enabled surfers to ride deeper and longer in the critical part of the wave.
- Geoff Cater

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:59 am

Sick.
can't wait to read it.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:09 pm

Geoff : Gary Chapman is not the same person as Craig "Owl" Chapman.
I believe you have made the mistake of conflating them.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:10 pm

The Midjet interview has some excellent insights into where the future of surfing was headed. I wonder what he would have thought at the time about the aerial revolution of today?
from the article-
http://www.surfresearch.com.au/1968_Far ... _V1n3.html
I am looking for a different kind of wave, the kind that throws the power up behind you and sends the board skittering on its rail and its fin so that you have got to get your body out over the board and the water and be like that man on the motor bike; your head will be upside down and your feet above you and you will be stuck there like a fly.
I am trying to work up into the curl and then back out of it at lightning speed and I know these other guys are too so it's a pretty common goal.
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:25 pm

It's good to see Midget get a more accurate historical rendering.

Talking to Lester Brien around many campfires he always maintained more credit should have been given to Midget and Kevin Platt and that essentially the history of the shortboard revolution had been appropriated by Bob for self interested motives.

huie
Local

Post by huie » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:51 pm

hey geoff
the fact that both midget & kevin had moved on from v bottoms long before the others even woke up is not well known as a freind & fellow shaper of kevin & midget i can say that midgets version of events tally closly with kevins my memories off the noosa events were all based on g g fins
heres where we were late 67 early 68 7' 6'' x 21 x 2 3/4''

our dble enders all came from this template

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:03 pm

huie wrote: late 67 early 68

yeah following one our chats

i was kinda blowin away with the time frame after consideration

opens up a big can worms really :shock:

but u know....only sydney crew could make a board back than :lol:

but than again....wouldn't be the first time a lot design crew came same shape in same time frame :idea:

just some love getting there photos taken more :lol: (
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:47 pm

steve shearer wrote:It's good to see Midget get a more accurate historical rendering.

Talking to Lester Brien around many campfires he always maintained more credit should have been given to Midget and Kevin Platt and that essentially the history of the shortboard revolution had been appropriated by Bob for self interested motives.
Where would boardshorts be without Mrs Platt in Australia and Nancy Katin in the US.
Answer, looking like Tony Abbott :shock:
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?