Whats the LONGEST wave you've ridden?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

roundhouse
Grommet

Whats the LONGEST wave you've ridden?

Post by roundhouse » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:32 am

Ok ok we've had all the macho talk about the largest wave riden which always gets pushed up about a ft or two because you were crapping ya dacks and iggys wave measurment put everyone elses calls out. But considering a peeling 3 ft wave could be the longest wave ridden it should take a bit of that away..

Id have to say the longest wave I have ridden was the from behind the pot right through to the beach at little cove - gunning to try and link up to first point but just missed out and got shut down (one day i am going to make it first!).

Safe to say the legs were like jelly and the voice was gone from calling all teh shoulder hoppers off.

Other ones up there would be impossibles from the top take off down to the close out near bingin and also a few at the super bank.

Ill take a stab and say the longest waves on the east coast would of gone down in QLD but would like to hear what others have to say

Grooter
Duke Status

Re: Whats the LONGEST wave you've ridden?

Post by Grooter » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:41 am

The longest rides I've ever had have been at Big Left at Flinders on the Mornington Peninsula.

Get out their on a 4 foot day, catch them out the back, and should be in for maybe a 300 - 400 metre ride - I'm just guessing here though, I have no way of reliably measuring it, interested on anyone else's opinion who may have surfed it.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

el rancho
Duke Status

Post by el rancho » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:49 am

had a mate who took off at nationals and stepped off at noosa main beach.

said he had the jelly legs also.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:08 pm

Chicama - Peru 2 mins.

Next

St Leu - Reunion 1 min

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:11 pm

Buff_Brad wrote:Chicama - Peru
That's so not fair :evil:

boardscape avalon
Local

Post by boardscape avalon » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:23 pm

wide one but level with the jump at snapper down to just in front of the groyne at kirra...or sandon pt to the beach.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:31 pm

The longest time on a wave was a spot in indo. Its on an outer reef and washes through a lagoon type set up. The actual wave was less than 50m but the white wash kept on going. I kept riding it for a couple of minutes. Still had to paddle heaps to get in. Not sure if that counts, though.
The longest tube was at One Palm. Over 10 seconds and going fast. Covering a lot of distance. Felt like heaps longer. But my mate confirmed it was only 10 seconds.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:39 pm

mical wrote:
Next we will get some smarta_rse boasting about riding The Pororoca.

As for me, from The Pass to the Beach Cafe.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:07 pm

iggy wrote:longest would be currumbin alley (approx 700 metres) from the take off to inside around lacey's lane
Yep. That would be mine too iggs.
However, way before Superbank - like 1964 and 1965, a couple of times a year on the right swell and the right tide we could catch outside Snapper and step off midway between Greenmount and Coolangatta Beach (on the sandbar just off the beach to be completely honest).
I once caught one from Winki across Surge and to the end of the racetrack but that was a freak. Not sure how far that is.
Good long rides at the Pass on the right day. (to Town Beach - but not by me :twisted: )
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:08 pm

Chickens in the Maldives, i couldn't understand why everyone was getting off the thing halfway until i had to paddle back.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:15 pm

mical wrote:
It is fair if you take into account the fcuking hassle to get there AND the danger of staying there.....(don't go wandering around at night kiddies).

A local guy offered to sell me some coke by the rock ie fist sized rocks. Cheap as chips. :wink:

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:00 pm

Either Sultans in the Maldives; I'm guessing around 400 metres or so. The bath warm water and blazing sun made the paddle back out feel like miles.

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:11 pm

Same as Roundy. From out the back at the pot, right into little cove. Haven't been able to link to 1st point either.

Caught a few from the tip of Point Cartwright, into the bay at Mooloolaba as well.

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:19 pm

All I got is the Pass. We used to go there alot around 1985 before the top pub became new and had some great uncrowded surfs at the pass in non holiday periods.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Haz
barnacle

Post by Haz » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:23 pm

Hatchman wrote:The longest rides I've ever had have been at Big Left at Flinders on the Mornington Peninsula.

Get out their on a 4 foot day, catch them out the back, and should be in for maybe a 300 - 400 metre ride - I'm just guessing here though, I have no way of reliably measuring it, interested on anyone else's opinion who may have surfed it.
Yeah i measured it on Google Earth, the longest you can go is about 250 metres maximum... But I agree, it's a f.ucking long ride, easily over a minute.

roundhouse
Grommet

Post by roundhouse » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:41 pm

tiger wrote:Same as Roundy. From out the back at the pot, right into little cove. Haven't been able to link to 1st point either.

Caught a few from the tip of Point Cartwright, into the bay at Mooloolaba as well.
Yep have done that at carties a few times aswell. You go for the long glory ride aiming for the second groyne and then it fattens out leaving you with a bitch of a paddle against the rip flowing out. Last year sand built up on the inside of the rockwall meaning you could go round the bend and surf up the river for a bit in knee deep water. trippy as.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:43 pm

beachbanga wrote:
Hatchman wrote:The longest rides I've ever had have been at Big Left at Flinders on the Mornington Peninsula.

Yeah i measured it on Google Earth, the longest you can go is about 250 metres maximum... But I agree, it's a f.ucking long ride, easily over a minute.
Really is that all, funny I thought it would be more than that as it seems to go on for ages, especially when it reforms.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

roy Stewart
regular

Post by roy Stewart » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:50 pm

beachbanga wrote:

That's an average of only about 10 mph. Doesn't seem quite right.

Best I've had is 550 to 600 metres at The Blowhole Main Beach Mount Mauganui, measured on Google Earth and by GPS