Whats the LONGEST wave you've ridden?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Haz
barnacle

Re: Whats the LONGEST wave you've ridden?

Post by Haz » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:18 pm

Mmm I'm probably measuring it from the wrong spot... On google earth it's not breaking and you can't see the reef... Probably a lot longer, don't go by my word!

speedneedle
charger

Post by speedneedle » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:01 pm

Merimbula Bar...summer 1987 methinks.

Fluked on a big swell while visiting an Auntie who happened to have a house ACROSS THE ROAD from it...

The proverbial "had to kick out because I could'nt be arsed..." Thats how it was.

And countless opportunities to practice the nose-to-the-wall backhand cutty.

Lorne many many times, when it connects from 2'nds, over the "slab" to the sand.

And one memorable wave from outside peak at Currumbin alley, right through the estuary section and Laceys Lane. It does'nt line up all the way often. It helped having lived beachside on the Palmy side of the bridge for 18 months...

And last but not least...Byrons Pass.

Josh
www.joshdowlingshape.com

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:02 pm

Just had a quick measure on google earth. And from out behind the pot, thru to the beach at little cove, is around 900m.

Had a rough check of Cartwright too, and was surprised to see it was of similar length.

2 totally different styles of long rides. Carties is more of a wave that you have to stay ahead of, and negotiate your way thru the sections at Turtles, Rock, Platties, Halfways, Carties proper, then the bar in front of the groins. In some ways more of a challenge than a functional wave.

Noosa is way more tiring. Cos your going top to bottom the whole time.

roy Stewart
regular

Post by roy Stewart » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:04 pm

beachbanga wrote:
Mmm I'm probably measuring it from the wrong spot... On google earth it's not breaking and you can't see the reef... Probably a lot longer, don't go by my word!
Yeah it's surprising how long some rides are I thought the blowhole to surfclub was only about 200 to 300, but it's 550 to 600.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:48 pm

Nulla point 2nd-3 reef (depends how you call it) through outside surge to sth Nulla shorebreak on the body. C'mon splifster, you the guru so you call it. :roll:

edit: and maybe Vooie 6-8ft through to the lhs isolated rock jump off point or Sandon 6ft through to the inside reef near the poles.(both on the body)

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:28 pm

Pot to the units on the "cliff" just before first point - tucked in and it closed out on me.

Also got a few long ones from behind the rock at the pass through to down near the cafe

monkey
regular

Post by monkey » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:53 pm

Yeah, me too.
A sneaky one from the Pot through to Johnson's and just couldnt get round that last section at first point.
No one going to talk about Box Head?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:59 pm

el rancho wrote:had a mate who took off at nationals and stepped off at noosa main beach.

said he had the jelly legs also.

yeah, don that a few times also, just stand there and do nuthing thru some sections coz my legs were just to buggered to turn....have also got some pretty long ones at G-Land many years ago, 1990 and they just seemed to go forever, from right out back and into Speedies and only 2 or 3 of us in the water and I didnt know how far you could ride it, so just kept going and goin and going...was about 6 or 7 ft at take off and about 2ft at the end.......love to get back there one day....

have also got waves from out of the Mooloolaba river mouth, and surfed them into Mooloolaba beach, up from cheesecakes, maybe not the longest wave ever but still a good few 100 mtrs and was cool coz doesnt often break thru there..... 8)

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:35 pm

Buff_Brad wrote:
mical wrote:
Buff_Brad wrote:Chicama - Peru
That's so not fair :evil:
It is fair if you take into account the fcuking hassle to get there AND the danger of staying there.....(don't go wandering around at night kiddies).

A local guy offered to sell me some coke by the rock ie fist sized rocks. Cheap as chips. :wink:
Anything is worth enduring for a 1.6km LEFT that barrels of it's nuts. 8)

axolotl

Post by axolotl » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:50 pm

mines the same as salty's but 5ft. on a quad just flying down the line and bottom turning around massive sections with ease as i was going so fast.

i would say 10mph would be a fast one at big left, possibly victoria's fatest wave

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:52 pm

a large sandbar in central QLD.
the swell has to be cyclone big, it has to squeak between the top of Fraser and the bottom of the reef, and the tide has to be right, and the takeoff in the mouth can be very sharky.

but if it all comes together, and you have a board with a bit of volume and length, you can get a ride of 300m on nearly every wave. One older local guy on a 10ft board who was far better than us at linking the sections got a ride I would conservatively estimate at 800m. It took him at least 10 minutes to walk back.

On a surf ski at low tide I have managed to connect the flatter sections and get a ride of about 2kms. It isn't a high-per wave by any stretch of the imagination.

Other than that, Nungas in Sumbawa on a swell that also included my largest wave. If I see waves that big again, I reckon I'll be staying dry.

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:18 pm

monkey wrote:Yeah, me too.

No one going to talk about Box Head?
nup

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:24 pm

got a few waves in ecuador up to 250m. Righthanders.
A few really long beach breaks near hawkes nest, a mate got one about 300m or more. Consistent 150m rides

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:44 pm

Crescent. From take off to past the flags many times.
One time pre superbank through to Coolie main from Snapper and dropped in on by the surfboat :?
Pass, Currumbin,Noosa-the usual suspects.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:56 pm

First rock DY to clubhouse. Not sure how long that is. 200m maybe??

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:04 am

Well... guess I've been unlucky. The unlucky ducky. :?: :cry: Must admit to being somewhat envious of some of the wave lengths on this thread. Not sure about my longest wave but I'm pretty sure it's less than 20 seconds, maybe less than 15 seconds.

Had a few long ones at Green Island when the swell gets solid and the direction is right and works through from the boil to way past the end of the reef, but they don't come near some of the stories on this thread.

I would've thought Box Head would be by far the longest possible wave within spitting distance of Sydney when it's on :?:
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:30 am

merimbula bar on the best surf trip of my life. We had just finished honours at uni and scored epic waves everywhere from Sydney to Bells and back. Score Merimbula on an all-time sort of day. We measured waves by the number of backhand reo's you could bash out. 4'-5' day managed 14 reo's on one wave. Wave was so mechanical that each turn was almost identical, just got the perfect rythm going - whack, bottom turn, whack -14 times to the beach. Could hardly walk back up the beach

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:00 am

Jimi wrote:A few really long beach breaks near hawkes nest, a mate got one about 300m or more. Consistent 150m rides
I'm surprised that "One Mile Point" (the poster, not the wave) hasn't come in yet on this one.

As for Box Head, long rides but a long way from help, rippy and sharky. Let's hear some stories, it's not a secret spot and is quite visible from "civilisation".