Surfing versus Photography

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

otway1949
barnacle

Surfing versus Photography

Post by otway1949 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:33 am

A great difficulty I'm experiencing, love my surf love my surf photography.
On a good day that maintains conditions I get to do both in or out of the water.
A short spell of perfection brings the question, surf or shoot?
Since digital more of you RSers know this dilemma.
Your thoughts and comments please.
Jaffa, I'm opinionated, and I'm sometimes right. So?

el rancho
Duke Status

Re: Surfing versus Photography

Post by el rancho » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:40 am

i surf. always. until i'm buggered then get out.

earlier this year when the Boiling Pot was completely off its balls i surfed for couple hours, got sick of battling the sweep so hopped onto the cliffs and shot to my hearts content.

whereas a good mate on an overseas surf trip this year gave up many a good session with us to shoot from in the water. as a result though, he got some amazing shots of a few sponnos, and you never know where that can lead.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:52 am

Depends who's in the water, light etc.

99.99% of the time it's surfing first though.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:04 am

Absolutely.
"Surfdenpics"
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:24 pm

My primary focus will be on surfing. However i will sacrifice some surfing time to take photos. I also use the camera when checking the surf prior to getting out there. Its all about making use of your time down there. Though i have given up whole surfs to shoot pumping surf. Its better when you are out there with your camera, because it kind of feels like your surfing anyway.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:00 pm

Coops@DY wrote:I also use the camera when checking the surf prior to getting out there. Its all about making use of your time down there.
Ditto.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:18 pm

I take photo's then text them to a heap of blokes to show them where the waves are pumping and they pick me up a latte on the way then we tool about for about 30 minutes getting ready and then we all paddle out together and sit right next to some guy ...

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:57 pm

Surfin Turf wrote:I take photo's then text them to a heap of blokes to show them where the waves are pumping and they pick me up a latte on the way then we tool about for about 30 minutes getting ready and then we all paddle out together and sit right next to some guy ...
There's a Fatwa down here on the first guy to turn up in the water here with a mobile phone. 8)
The reception won't be very good 8) 8)

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:34 pm

otway1949 wrote:
Surfin Turf wrote:I take photo's then text them to a heap of blokes to show them where the waves are pumping and they pick me up a latte on the way then we tool about for about 30 minutes getting ready and then we all paddle out together and sit right next to some guy ...
There's a Fatwa down here on the first guy to turn up in the water here with a mobile phone. 8)
Following on from this as a guide, the other day I posted photos of my locale on a thread similar to what I have posted here. Several other users courteously Pmed me saying I broke #1 rule publishing photos! OK They were civilised so I replied as a PM
My local hosts three major contests per year with over 200 entrants in each some from OS so my spot is not unknown Methinks false angst! I googled surf photos for the spots I "exposed" there were over 500 available.
The secret spots around here might in IMO get photos published but will be under a pseudonym without directions probably even misdirections..
Let's have your thoughts guys, as so many of you are shooting now and this could have meaning for you.
Didn't post this on the original thread as they were spitting over clothes FFS. :shock:

black duck
Snowy McAllister

Post by black duck » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:48 pm

S+T - Your surfing paranoia spills into your sarcasm. Tell me that's not one of your typical cold sweat nightmare scenarios :lol:
smnmntll wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:20 pm
You foaming spangoloids need to chill before you all do wetties on the carpet

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:23 am

Ringmaster wrote:Yeah.......you probably crossed the line Otway.

Merimbula Bar and the 'super consistent' Pammy Rivermouth have been long held secrets until you exposed em' here.

There might be a local lynch mob on their way to your joint now.........
Searched a little more there's a stampede of footprints across the line including the local board riders club so i guess the african rubber necklace has been suspended but I hear the sensitivities out there, the inverted commas may be the saving grace :?

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:13 pm

otway1949 wrote:
otway1949 wrote:
Following on from this as a guide, the other day I posted photos of my locale on a thread similar to what I have posted here. Several other users courteously Pmed me saying I broke #1 rule publishing photos! OK They were civilised so I replied as a PM
My local hosts three major contests per year with over 200 entrants in each some from OS so my spot is not unknown Methinks false angst! I googled surf photos for the spots I "exposed" there were over 500 available.
The secret spots around here might in IMO get photos published but will be under a pseudonym without directions probably even misdirections..
Let's have your thoughts guys, as so many of you are shooting now and this could have meaning for you.
Didn't post this on the original thread as they were spitting over clothes FFS. :shock:
meh, I wouldnt wory about it Jaff until you get something like this in your inbox like I do:

Dear Mr Surfing Atlas,

I see you recently added Fernando de Noronha to your site for Brazil. http://www.surfingatlas.com/division/166
I am Brazil surfer and need to know where you have the right to do this. We are sick of Aussies calling us the names of the *** for our fighting but you move in groups. We will always beats you one against one and all know it. You make fun of our English on the Surfing Atlas when these posts they are made, how is your Portugues can I say? No one like the Aussie in my country, never come here, we kick your asses.

RESPONSE:

Dear Jesus,

Thanks for that. Christ, what did you have your google bable fish translator set to when you wrote that, Polish? FFS, anyway, okay where do we start..well Fernando de Noronha was added more to showcase what I thought was a great example of sustainable surfing in a very fragile environment, so kind of the opposite to those open sewers floating into the ocean that you call Santa Catarina and Rio. Our aim as always is to provide a single point of call for surfers planning a trip and as such there is rarely spot on our site that hasn't been published elsewhere. We are just saving you the expense of having to buy 15 surf guides to find it - I have already done that for you...and this is that thanks I get! Seriously, the nerve of some people.

Speaking Portuguese? Well if it was the 15th century and I was travelling through Indonesia in search of salt and pepper it may be vaguely useful but today? meh...
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

pierrot

Post by pierrot » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:25 pm

surfing versus photography ? no doubt, surfing. to much picture, with just waves and surfer, so many pictures, all the same... boring. Why all of these ? that's the question. I could write hours about it, but to cut, I think it's rare I'm interested by a surf picture. If you choose to shoot, great, but with creativity, please !

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:00 pm

otway1949 wrote:
Ringmaster wrote:Yeah.......you probably crossed the line Otway.

Merimbula Bar and the 'super consistent' Pammy Rivermouth have been long held secrets until you exposed em' here.

There might be a local lynch mob on their way to your joint now.........
Searched a little more there's a stampede of footprints across the line including the local board riders club so i guess the african rubber necklace has been suspended but I hear the sensitivities out there, the inverted commas may be the saving grace :?
I think you can reserve that rubber necklass for Reggae Ellis next time he is down your way-he just mentioned it ( the bar) commentating on the Ripcurl Pro in Portugal as one of Ozs best lefts.Dave Mailman said he was keen to give it a go.Maybe the next "The Search' could be held there! :roll:
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

dUg
barnacle
Location: sitting in my car waiting for someone else to paddle out first

Post by dUg » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:41 am

LONGINUS wrote:
meh, I wouldnt wory about it Jaff until you get something like this in your inbox like I do:

Dear Mr Surfing Atlas,

I see you recently added Fernando de Noronha to your site for Brazil. http://www.surfingatlas.com/division/166
I am Brazil surfer and need to know where you have the right to do this. We are sick of Aussies calling us the names of the *** for our fighting but you move in groups. We will always beats you one against one and all know it. You make fun of our English on the Surfing Atlas when these posts they are made, how is your Portugues can I say? No one like the Aussie in my country, never come here, we kick your asses.

RESPONSE:

Dear Jesus,

Thanks for that. Christ, what did you have your google bable fish translator set to when you wrote that, Polish? FFS, anyway, okay where do we start..well Fernando de Noronha was added more to showcase what I thought was a great example of sustainable surfing in a very fragile environment, so kind of the opposite to those open sewers floating into the ocean that you call Santa Catarina and Rio. Our aim as always is to provide a single point of call for surfers planning a trip and as such there is rarely spot on our site that hasn't been published elsewhere. We are just saving you the expense of having to buy 15 surf guides to find it - I have already done that for you...and this is that thanks I get! Seriously, the nerve of some people.

Speaking Portuguese? Well if it was the 15th century and I was travelling through Indonesia in search of salt and pepper it may be vaguely useful but today? meh...

ROFL... we should exchange nutter emails one day. Although mine are mainly confined to SA, but we are prodigous here when it comes to "instant locals" ( justa add water ).

:D

I always snap off a few quick pics then try and get a few waves. If I manage to beat the crowd and get a few in the first hour - 90 mins, I'll get out and take a few more pics. But often I know that while I'm running down some ramp to try and beat 20 crew out there, it's working its best and that conditions will turn. Something is always gonna happen - cloud rolls in, sea breeze copmes up, tide kills it. I find it's rarely better by the time you've had your waves and settle down to taking pics.

If you want more time to take pics, I find a broken ankle really helps with that. :lol:

Rude_Beef
regular

Post by Rude_Beef » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:21 pm

I like to take a stroll down and snap off a few lineups for 20 minutes or so before getting in the water. That way, not only do you get a few shots, but you also get a good idea of what the surfs doing rather than my previous method of turn up, wettie up and sprint to the shoreline.

Alternativly you could always hand your camera over to your girlfriend = surfing and pics. :D

otway1949
barnacle

Post by otway1949 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:02 pm

dUg wrote:[
ROFL... we should exchange nutter emails one day. Although mine are mainly confined to SA, but we are prodigous here when it comes to "instant locals" ( justa add water ).

:D

I always snap off a few quick pics then try and get a few waves. If I manage to beat the crowd and get a few in the first hour - 90 mins, I'll get out and take a few more pics. But often I know that while I'm running down some ramp to try and beat 20 crew out there, it's working its best and that conditions will turn. Something is always gonna happen - cloud rolls in, sea breeze copmes up, tide kills it. I find it's rarely better by the time you've had your waves and settle down to taking pics.

If you want more time to take pics, I find a broken ankle really helps with that. :lol:
How is the ankle healing? dUg. Used to do Yorkes a lot, Gleeson's Landing in particular!
I do my surf first now and I have a shoulder holster holding a10mgp waterproof Olympus camera makes a water session much easier, got an Oregon waterproof helmet video cam ( not a Hero cam) and an HD Video + Housing but a proper water session after a surf is just a little too much fitness required.
Hoping to coincide low tide sand bank hollow barrel day shooting soon.
BTW you can sell easily to your own locals by shooting local club comp, blow up one of your best as a prize charge slightly above cost ( explain you are using the extra money to upgrade) . Won't feed you but will keep everyone on side. Protect your copyright.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:36 am

If there is one thing I miss on this site it is all the photography that used to get posted.

Stuff like what Butts, Salty, EDI_Vicco etc... would post used to seriously brighten my day.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love