what's the shittest wave in sydney?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

moreorless
regular

Re: what's the shittest wave in sydney?

Post by moreorless » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:56 pm

Warriewood is right up there with the dogs.

Not only is it usually closing out it is also the home to some of the most demented "locals" on the Northern Beaches. I mean, you do have to wonder about them. With Mona Vale just to the north and Northie just to the south, why would anyone choose Warriewood as their local?

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:01 pm

It's a sad state of affairs, I can tell you.

Eastern suburbs beaches have been really poor for a long time it seems. can't tell whether I am remembering classic surfs of bygone days through rose coloured glasses, or if they really happened.

Nowadays Maroubra seems to get 2 good banks working (at the most) which leads to a crowd factor that is suckable, even on weekdays it's a shit fight.

Tama used to line up, in my memory at least, but rarely seems to these days, likewise Bronte. What's happened?

Don't really care to comment on other sydney beachies as I haven't got to them taht often of late, but I really despair at the quality on the eastern suburbs these days.

BTW, if you nominated Coogee go to the back of the class. The question definitely had the word 'wave' in it, which disqualified Coogee immediately.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:29 pm

^^^ I've surfed the reef of the pool at Coogee, given, it was on the way back from southie but I've caught waves there :D

And I've surfed the left of the north end also, was ~3ft one of those days I'd driven from the Bondi right down to Bear Island and it was the only wave ridable.
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:45 pm

munch wrote:^^^ I've surfed the reef of the pool at Coogee, given, it was on the way back from southie but I've caught waves there :D

And I've surfed the left of the north end also, was ~3ft one of those days I'd driven from the Bondi right down to Bear Island and it was the only wave ridable.
Realisitcally Coogee fits into the 'novelty break' category. It gets waves, but the geography seems to mean that it will never be a real surfing beach.

Sure I've seen it ridable on days that are seriously big elsewhere, and more than you might imagine, I just don't even think of it as a surf beach. Now there's a place where one or two thousand tyres (or your preferred reef creating material) weighed down and dumped neatly a hundred metres from shore could be useful.

:idea:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

GregL
Grommet

Post by GregL » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:50 pm

I guess there is good and bad in most things and every beach has it's own all time days eventually.
Mid to South Palmy is another that I've never seen any good.

boardscape avalon
Local

Post by boardscape avalon » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:08 pm

the winner collaroy...

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:25 pm

bilgola
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

schnorky
regular

Post by schnorky » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:10 pm

Coogee is not actually a beach for surfing..so it does not apply.
Its not the quality...its the crowd. Everytime, the feckin crowd..
Blah Blah Blah

RichQ
regular

Post by RichQ » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:38 pm

iggy wrote:
Rockin' Ron wrote:butterbox is a fat shoulder...
that was my take on it..
surfed it only once at about 6 foot and found it to have a fun take off and first section, but nothing much to offer afterwards..
put it down to the swell being a touch too east on the day, and maybe if it had of been more of a direct south swell it might not have been as fat...?
Mmmmmm, Ric again, not Rich... swear it was better in years gone by, but that hardly makes sense, so let's just say on its day and the RIGHT wave it can throw up a fun wall inside, bit like the racecourse section of the Bower 'cept garn the other way and OK not as good. :D

Otherwise, yep, a bloody hoax that usually get over-crowded very bloody quickly.

still here
charger

Post by still here » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:30 pm

Coogee is not a wave .
"Northy point" is not a point ...

sg7890
Grommet

Post by sg7890 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:43 pm

North Steyne-dont go there

astro
Grommet

Post by astro » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:21 pm

Im shocked that coogee has so many followers here. :shock: It must be the ice cream :roll: .My vote goes to 1)Malabar and 2)Boat Harbour.Ho'O.K.and COOGEE.

Grab-Rail Cutties

Post by Grab-Rail Cutties » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:01 pm

Collaroy and warriewood are the shittest waves in the world bar none,
i refuse to even surf warriewood any more.

and that dosent mean you should all come racing to the been either!

grazza
Local

Post by grazza » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:44 pm

Grab-Rail Cutties wrote:Collaroy and warriewood are the shittest waves in the world bar none,
i refuse to even surf warriewood any more.
Collaroy is without any redeeming features whatsoever, but Warriewood (and I can say this now that I refuse to surf anywhere that I can't either walk or fly to), can be gobsmaking. Big south with south winds and the right sand and that cool wedge takeoff into a gorgeous wall that rifles off down the beach, with definite barrel time on offer.

I remember a day there (late 70s?) where it was doing a J-bay impersonation, 6-8 and super clean, lined up from the take-off in front of/behind the rocks at the south end to the close-out in front of the cliffs almost at Mona. The Coke was on at the time, and Shaun Thomson was the stand out. The best day I can remember there, but certainly not the only epic day Warriewood day. Does it still do this?

Grab-Rail Cutties

Post by Grab-Rail Cutties » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:25 am

Well seeing as though warriewood hasn't broken since the late 70's and considering i missed the last swell by about 30 years
i stand by my refusal to ever surf it.

I see one bloke ripping it up on his goat boat probably 6 days out of 7 some guy called BUFF BRAD
what a fcuking kook!

moondoggie
regular

Post by moondoggie » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:02 am

Freshy Reef
Never works more than about once in ten years, when the sand builds up... could have been awesome with a few rocks in the holes that cause the too full sections but for the "vocal local yocals" who enjoy the small close outs and crowd just the way it is - big and at times dangerous.( the crowd not the surf )
Most of the exiting reef here was man-made when they threw the rock spoil in the drink, when they carved the swimming pool out of the rock platform. Petty they didn't finish the job properly... and the rocks haven't shifted in 50 years !

8)
"I JUST SPENT 6 MONTHS BUYING LEAKY BOATS
2O MILLION BUYING BOATS
GLOBAL WARMINGS CRAP
SO BURNING 'EMS JUST ANOTHER 20 MILLION UP IN SMOKE"
Apologies to Tim Finn

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:25 pm

This question needs to be defined a little better. Is it 'whats the shittest wave in Sydney when that spot is working? or shittest spot concistently?
My votes would go to Collaroy and Warriewood, but in saying that, some of the best waves ive had have been at these spots. Collaroy on the right swell when sweet peaks light up near the concrete drain, epic (havnt seen it in a few years). And Warriewood can get epic too, though never seen the point break for more than 100m max. Anyone else seen it go the whole length of the beach? Even if it was the 70's?

Turrimetta is a hoax from what ive seen these last few years, used to get it fun and peaky all the time.

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:44 pm

Changing my vote to Brown Water because it always looks so bloody good, and you never ever get a good wave because the sweep pushes you onto the rocks away from the take off - toe wave only for my books.
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .