what's the shittest wave in sydney?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Re: what's the shittest wave in sydney?

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:52 pm

Jimi wrote:This question needs to be defined a little better. Is it 'whats the shittest wave in Sydney when that spot is working? or shittest spot concistently?
I reckon the definition is not so much day to day as how it is when it's pretending to be good.

That's why I picked Newport Pool, 'cause nowhere's that shithouse when it's acting like it isn't. Like, someone picked LA but you can tell when LA's shit and when it's good just by looking at it. Likewise Collaroy etc. Not the Pool, it often actually looks good while being an appalling piece of shit.

Rockin Ron's pick of Butterbox is a good one 'cause Butterbox actually looks like it might be fun as, you see swells going in there and offshore plumes in a NE'er ... but no, sucked in. Shit.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:16 pm

coogee (except for wedding cake) and the wall cronulla
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:57 pm

marcus wrote:coogee (except for wedding cake) and the wall cronulla
Coogee (Bobroi) can turn it on. As for the wall at Nulla......well........ :lol:
(I have heard that rent boys surf there :lol: )
Last edited by puurri on Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

aaronn
barnacle

Post by aaronn » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:38 am

every break has it's good day or epic hour/s

had 2 great sessions @ brownwater in 2006, when el nino came to town.

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:31 am

philw wrote:tama has been ok recently... :D
yeah, last week was as good as it gets. not that it mattered much, it was so crowded i didn't get a look in. i imagine it'll be another ten years before it'll be that good again.

the good thing about having bondi, tama and bronte as your local is that when you go out of town it makes the trip seem like a surfing holiday in paradise.

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:14 pm

If newport pool is such a waste nude nut, howcome you just about knocked me over one morning on your way out a couple of years ago

- maybe because it was about 6', low tide, peeling over a freak sand bank, hard offshore and you missed it by about two hours.

oh, how we laughed ...... !

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:13 pm

what!!!!!, Carroll missed it at his local?

say it ain't so champ.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:53 pm

you should have seen the little guy sprinting out to the line-up in his pink lycra bodytites - more information than an encyclopedia

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:08 pm

pink lycra?
whoa.
80's?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:03 pm

Actually that reminds me of a story from the North Shore.

I was staying at Mark Foo's Waimea home, the one on the Leftovers side of the Bay in 91/92.
Alan Sarlo was staying upstairs and we had bought a complete shittbox Buick station wagon off a dodgy used car dealer in Pearl City in a fake name. It had fake wood panelling and looked exactly like the one Chevy Chase drove in Vacation.
Alan is a gorilla of a man who took a shining to me because on NYE I'd got so fcukked up on a cocktail of booze and drugs that he'd found me at 3am on Mark's verandah semi-conscious doing bench press in the nude...which he thought was hilarious.

It was a wierd season with lots of Kona winds so we had to drive to the east-side to get waves....this is before mobile phones so Mark and Alan would flip us quarters on the way out and say "ring me from Kahuku and give me a surf report" .....
we'd go to these dodgy little public phone boxes and ring in surf reports.....Foo was very demanding, asking a million questions about swell angle, number of set waves, people out and then tell us to go to XXXXXXXX and call from there...

We had no fcuken money and were surviving on scamming backpackers, which was soon shut down when the Hawaiians figured out our angles and moved in on the territory.......luckily for us we met a dodgy drug grower from Dee Why, who, although a tight arse cnut, agreed to pay our accom if we ferried him around to our east side spots.

We'd take the cnut surfing and then we'd go to McDonalds at Laie while the cnut would pigg out on cheesburgers and we'd sit there like salivating ethiopians hoping he'd buy us a bucket of chips.....this engendered a savage hatred of X (the drug grower) in my friend and later he would take his revenge in spectacular fashion.

Anyway we went surfing at B... bowl and took a carload of young aussie semi-pros including the human tornado Jeremy Byles who at that stage was a beesdick away from being run off the island. In retrospect this was a stupid move and when we came in our back window was smashed out and our brakelines cut.
So we drove home with no brakes and when we got back to Mark Foos house started cooking up some cheap processed meat for dinner.
Unbeknowst to us X hadn't told Foo that he was now paying for the accom and Foo had got the idea in his head that we were freeloading at his house.
I heard Mark yell out...."hey ....you ossies still here"
"yeah"

Mark came storming in to the room with one of those big torches that security guards carry and started screaming at us to get the fcuk out of his house or he'd fcuking kill us....I was brandishing the spluttering fry pan at him in self defence and horrified..
X came out of his room and said..."mark...don't worry ...I'm paying for 'em" and Foo lowered his torch and stormed out.
He came down later with a 6pack and apologised...said he was stressed out ...

The point of the story: X hadn't surfed the session at B...Bowl and Sarlo gave him hell.....he kept saying "whaaattt.....he was on the beach.....whaat the fcuk'

Two years later..... when I went back after surfing Jockos we came back to the backpackers and Mark's sister was wailing outside the office.
Foo was dead and it really rocked me. The cnut had tried to kill me and now he was down in davey jones's locker.
I still go have a beer for Mark when I think of him....matter of fact I'm gunna get one now.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:14 pm

Larry wrote:If newport pool is such a waste nude nut, howcome you just about knocked me over one morning on your way out a couple of years ago

- maybe because it was about 6', low tide, peeling over a freak sand bank, hard offshore and you missed it by about two hours.

oh, how we laughed ...... !
are you sure it was the Pool Larry.

I know how you very old folk get confused about directions etc.

philw
Local

Post by philw » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:27 pm

purple pyramids wrote:
philw wrote:tama has been ok recently... :D
yeah, last week was as good as it gets. not that it mattered much, it was so crowded i didn't get a look in. i imagine it'll be another ten years before it'll be that good again.

the good thing about having bondi, tama and bronte as your local is that when you go out of town it makes the trip seem like a surfing holiday in paradise.
yeah tama was good - for a massively overcrowded semi-close out with stupid flat sections bracketed by lurching shut downs - it was still good.

you're right though. surfing the e.suburbs is character building, if not actually good for your surfing. sometimes, when out of town, i find myself marveling, amazed and transfixed, to be on a wave that hasn't wobbled fatly into a gutter or shut down in a shitstorm of flying fibreglass.

it's amazing there's any good surfers here at all.

philw
Local

Post by philw » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:04 pm

iggy wrote:Here's a recent image i took of Tama for AquaBumps...
fully shows off it's pristine bank and wave formation...
straight outta deep water and straight back into even deeper water again...
actually, the picture is almost too flattering...
:D :D :D

way too flattering. that makes it look consistent.

i dislike bronte most though, i mean it's no crapper than tama really, but some people actually defend it as good :shock: :?:

Grab-Rail Cutties

Post by Grab-Rail Cutties » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:26 pm

Jimi wrote:This question needs to be defined a little better. Is it 'whats the shittest wave in Sydney when that spot is working? or shittest spot concistently?
My votes would go to Collaroy and Warriewood, but in saying that, some of the best waves ive had have been at these spots. Collaroy on the right swell when sweet peaks light up near the concrete drain, epic (havnt seen it in a few years). And Warriewood can get epic too, though never seen the point break for more than 100m max. Anyone else seen it go the whole length of the beach? Even if it was the 70's?

Turrimetta is a hoax from what ive seen these last few years, used to get it fun and peaky all the time.
Yeah littles is heaps shit aye
just go surf warriewood whens theres a mad north swell running instead

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:10 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:43 pm