Best wetsuit you have had

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

sg7890
Grommet

Best wetsuit you have had

Post by sg7890 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:55 pm

What is the best wetsuit/brand of wetsuit on the market in your experience? Iv had a rip curl f-bomb and I found that it kept me really warm but it stored water, and got really heavy so i didn't really like it. I really like the o'neil psycho or o'neil mutant and most xcel wetsuits and I'm kind of a fan of the chest zip. But i am open to new brands and possibilities what is your favorite wetsuit for winter, which one should i get?

JET01
barnacle

Re: Best wetsuit you have had

Post by JET01 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:25 pm

I bought second hand O'neill Mutants, 3x2 and 4x3 haven't worn the 4x3 yet, but the 3x2... unreal... been wearing it since march down here in vicco... lets no water in EVER. It's a massive step up from the mid-range quiksilver i now have for a spare... Feels like i'm not even wearing a wetty by comparison. I haven't needed to use the hood yet, but i can give it a shot next time i surf if you're really interested. You really get what you pay for when it comes to wetties... It's one of the only things in surfing (IMO) that you shouldn't skimp on.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:37 am

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDA
Grommet

Post by SDA » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:42 am

Best I've had yet... O'Neill Psycho and Gooru - By a long shot!!

Just picked up an Xcel Inifinity Drylock 4/3 for winter - Big dollars, hope its worth it!
Don't name spots on the internet!!!

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:57 am

each wetsuit i buy is better than the last one. the technology, manufacturing and price just keep getting better. at the moment that's a west 3/2 steamer and a ripcurl 2mm spring suit.
probably could have bought better suits, but i'm in sydney, so didn't see much need.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:01 pm

I agree with Ringo. RC are the best. I have an F-Bomb (little bit better than ringo's one) and soon, this will be my 4th season in it. Its still warm and flexable. I mostly use a RC Stealth short arm 2x2 which i use before and after winter. Its going strong after heavy use.
Before that i used Billabong wetties from the early 90's they were good but still cold in winter. I've owned an expensive O'Neill springy which i found underwhelming.
I'll stay with RC for life.

Did i mention i get them for half price? :lol:
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:07 pm

Rip Curl for me

Can concur with Ringa, not personally as I haven't surfed as long nor worn one for as long as him, but most guys I know rate Rip Curl suits.

I've had my 3x2 Batwing now for three seasons, still doesn't leak, still comfortable and I always hang it up on a coat-hanger in the garage after a surf.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

jammin
Grommet

Post by jammin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:56 pm

Rockin' Ron wrote:
Coops@DY wrote:I
I've owned an expensive O'Neill springy which i found underwhelming.
I'll stay with RC for life.
Dat right? I'm on my third O'Neill springy in a row and reckon they're tops.

RC for Steamers historically although I have a West steamer at the moment and it's pretty good.

Ringo is right...wetsuits are another world these days.
Had a quicksilver sleaveless springy which I LOVED, got stolen on New Years.

Bought a west 3x2 steamer a month or so ago and it's great, the neoprene in the arms is so bloody flexible and doesnt hamper paddling much at all. It has often been a little too warm after a lengthy paddle out. Noticed the glued seams starting to pull apart last week (pretty much all over the suit) and a couple of 5mm holes appearing. I barneyed as fast as I could down to the shop and told em to give me a new one. They me that they needed to send it back to WA and it would take around 5 WEEKS! FFS winter isnt even that cold here and the coldest part will most likely be over by the time I get my freaken steamer back... So they apologise and offer a loan suit in the meantime, cept all she could produce was a used suit in the next size down... f'n great. getting ready for a few cold earlies!

using a QS springy at the moment, its just a $200 middle of the range jobby but does the trick!

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:10 pm

best is a longsleave titanium lined wetsuit rash shirt. by Biarms wetsuits
that in combo with a short john does me through spring and autumn.
colder days i may have to go the steamer, but have put wetsuit undie bodysock thing on underneath and been warm.
the good thing about the combos is you can change them for how warm or cold the water is. in indo i just use the short john.
it wasnt my preference for a suit, thats what was given to me, but it works.
Oscar Wilde - "I am not young enough to know everything"

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:41 pm

I wish i had a springy or some kind of wettie in indo. I f'ucked up and just brought a pair of shorts. Got cut up to the bullshit. Bring a wettie to indo!
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:14 pm

Ringmaster wrote:Going to Fiji next week
tight-arse ... :lol:

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:04 pm

Ringmaster wrote:After nearly 30 years of surfing the southern ocean and wearing steamers pretty well 12 months of the year, gotta say I've NEVER had a dud suit from Rip Curl which is all I buy. Plus, if something goes wrong, they'll replace or fix it. As PP said, with technology the next one should always be better than the last but as far as fit, comfort and ease of movement go, I don't reckon they need to get much better these days.

The E Bombs / E3's (4/3 & 3/2) are great suits for down here so should be a piece of piss on the East Coast. Blokes that whinge about durability are probably the ones who leave their wetties in a sand covered, damp crusty heap in the corner of the garage or hang them out in blazing sunshine for hours at a time after a surf. If you're going to fork out top dollar for a top of the line suit.....look after the bloody thing! I do and a 4/3 (mid June through to September) will give me 3 good winter seasons before they start to lose the warmth a bit and i get a new one. 3/2's last even longer cause you can use the older ones in colder Summer weather or trips further North.

O Neill's sound like they are just as good so at the top end, I spose it's just personal preferance.........
This is quite a funny post Ringer.........you should get your own show.....passion plus pal.
Last edited by Buff_Brad on Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:05 pm

Ringmaster wrote:
Coops@DY wrote:I wish i had a springy or some kind of wettie in indo. I f'ucked up and just brought a pair of shorts. Got cut up to the bullshit. Bring a wettie to indo!
Short John is the way to go in the tropics, Coops. Reef protection, sun protection and you feel like you're surfing nude.

Going to Fiji next week and just taking a shorty (and a rashie to wear under it for sun protection.)

Only wear boardies on land. I hate surfing in em' cause I'm used to a rubber d.ildo up my arse.
:lol: I'm know it's immature but.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

elbows
Grommet

Post by elbows » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:38 pm

I also am on my third oniell in a row, they seem to fit me the best, which is a big part of why i get them. Those rip curls are just too tight around the shoulders and neck for me. Psycho 2 is a great suit if you can get a good price

Haz
barnacle

Post by Haz » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:57 pm

Yeeah RC E-bomb at the moment... Best suit I've ever had yes, but it's slowly falling apart... One stich at a time :shock:

My next wetsuit's definitely gonna be one of these.

http://www.seventhwave.co.nz/

Japanese rubber... Cheap NZ dollar :mrgreen:

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:38 pm

Anything by Oneil.

I am now in a Pyscho 2 for winter after retiring my trusty Psycho 1. Its a great fit, great quality in the make and I know it will last. Awesome suit.

I have tried Rip Curls and the Oneil's shade them on the fit slighty.

Sad to say that my worst wetsuit was a West years ago that fell apart at the seams after 1 year :evil: That was replaced by an Oneil and its been pretty much them since.

sg7890
Grommet

Post by sg7890 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:31 pm

Thanks heaps guys!! now whats the correct way to treat your wetty?
after surfing a always rinse it in fresh water and hang it up inside out inside out of the sun. is this wrong? what should i do different?

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:45 pm

its all good but which way u hang it really doesnt make too much off a difference. never use wire hangers or pegs, always use a fat rounded suit coat or the one that comes with the suit.