The big move

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

channels
Snowy McAllister

The big move

Post by channels » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:15 pm

Due to a possible transfer with work, might have to do the big move from the west coast to work in Sydney. Having only been there a few times and surfs in Sydney limited to Manly & Bondi, wondering where the best place to live is where I don't have to pay phenomenal rent. Currently live about 5 streets back from Scarborough beach in Perth, so can't really see myself wanting to stray too far from the coast. Any suggestions?

bumbaclot
Supporter
Supporter

Post by bumbaclot » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:18 pm

start savin mate
I've got two bad habits, smoking and masturbation.
I'm a twenty a day man and I smoke like a farkin chimney.

"Stay happy and you'll be perfectly fine"... Jack Norris

WiNzA
charger

Post by WiNzA » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:49 pm

yea i imagine sydney is a bit more expensive than perth mate
it isnt always the fastest or the biggest, rather the most determined

"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

daltz

Post by daltz » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:52 pm

start looking at realestate . com and look at a street directory of syd. you'll find the best places pretty quick. :)

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:53 pm

I fully expect Sydney rent to be about double what Perth is, however the transfer is a big promotion so I'm going to be adquately covered as far as cash goes. What I'm chasing though is which suburbs are good to leave in whether it be Manly past Queenscliff etc or is it better to go the beaches south of Sydney. Mainly looking in terms of consistency and crowds as surfs will pretty much be the before work early and the weekends.

bumbaclot
Supporter
Supporter

Post by bumbaclot » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:54 pm

go Manly/Queenscliff....all the access to other Northern Beaches is priceless mate.....dats my opinion...+ the ferry or jet cat to the City is the only way to travel!

zzz
Supporter
Supporter

Re: The big move

Post by zzz » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:56 pm

clay wrote:Due to a possible transfer with work, might have to do the big move from the west coast to work in Sydney. Having only been there a few times and surfs in Sydney limited to Manly & Bondi, wondering where the best place to live is where I don't have to pay phenomenal rent. Currently live about 5 streets back from Scarborough beach in Perth, so can't really see myself wanting to stray too far from the coast. Any suggestions?
Sydney's pretty big - so where you are working would be a factor to consider. Share accom around manly about $140 - $180/week. Surrounding suburbs from about $100-$150/week. Rent for a studio apartment (one room with bathroom and kitchen, no separate bedroom) on your own in Manly from about $230/week upwards, can get cheaper outside of Manly. (I'm not talking luxury accomodation here either).

If I thought there was anywere in Sydney better than the Northern beaches I'd be living there so you know what I'd be recommending. If you're serious about surfing then I think there's the biggest range of beaches along the northern beaches stretch and not as crowded as the bondi area (apart from Manly itself which is pretty busy).

If you work in the city - 15 mins by jetcat from Manly and quite a few express buses from other areas so not too bad. Working further afield can be more difficult if you like to get an early surf before work.

If you're fully into the trendy inner city lifestyle (dance clubs, restaurants, galleries, bookstores, cafe's etc.) then the eastern suburbs probably has more to offer in that regard.

Even thought the rents a bit higher living near the beaches its worth it for the lifestyle. That or inner city (inner west or eastern suburbs). Outside of those areas Sydneys a bit of an anonymous wasteland.

So where would you be likely to be located for work?

ferret69

Post by ferret69 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:01 pm

Last edited by ferret69 on Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:05 pm

Cheers for that zzz, I'd be part of the suit & tie brigade heading into the guts of the city. What your saying pretty much confirms what I'm thinking about the Northern Beaches area. After being able to walk to the beach for a surf, I don't think I could ever move farther than walking distance. Looks like a fair variety of waves in that stretch as well. Only thing is I've heard Sydneysiders (non surfers admittedly) that the Northern Beaches are too far away from the city, would ferry & bus be more than half an hour from the city?

bumbaclot
Supporter
Supporter

Post by bumbaclot » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:06 pm

15 mins jet cat, 30 mins ferry, 45 on a bus. Ignore dem eastern suburbs tossers mate, dey only envious we can sneak a wave 365 a year

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:07 pm

I also like the idea of getting a boat to work. Kinda makes the thought of working in the city a little more bearable.

bumbaclot
Supporter
Supporter

Post by bumbaclot » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:08 pm

I do it everyday mate, tis the only way ta go.....+ plenty of top battle cruisers on da way home to stop in fer ya own body weight in piss before ya get back and demand supper from her in doors :lol:

baldric
barnacle

Post by baldric » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:13 pm

having lived in the Shire all me life I would agree with everyone else....northern beaches is where all new surfers should reside.. :twisted:

Robbo_A

Post by Robbo_A » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:19 pm

dont get me started on the shire

bumbaclot
Supporter
Supporter

Post by bumbaclot » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:21 pm

dat hexplains alot Balders, any room going in dat suitcase next time? I is only a wee 90Kgs :lol:

spikeysteve

Post by spikeysteve » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:26 pm

as a recently transplanted scarboro boy mysefl, i could not think of a better move for surf than to the northern beaches. My god, actually doing turns on a wave instead of the pull into closout crap at home. Cutbacks...fuck!
Go between freshwater/harbord and DY- close to the ferry, plenty o busses and plenty o waves. and wont cost ya too much for sydney. try domain.com.au. and compared to the point on any day of the year, manly on weekends is a walk in the park...

DB

Post by DB » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:27 pm

Living in Bondi I am a fan of the eastern suburbs. There may not be as many waves (variety)as the northside but I love the fact you can get to work in the city quickly, There is lots to do outside of surfing (read beer & women) and before work surfs are doable even in winter. It is also only an hour down the road to the national park and the gong which have a load of different reefs, points, beachies and gnarly industrial smoke stacks and coal mounds . It all depends on the scene that you are after the northside seems a bit more core and the eastern suburbs has all kinds of crazyness. Whatever you do though don't head to far from the beach as the before and after work surfs will become a thing of the past and you will really start questioning the sanity of your move and asking yourself does more money mean more happiness if you can't get wet on a regular basis.

zzz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by zzz » Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:28 pm

clay wrote:I also like the idea of getting a boat to work. Kinda makes the thought of working in the city a little more bearable.
I work in Mosman at the moment but have done plenty of stints in the city and one of the great things about it is getting a ferry or jetcat to work. Like a free harbour cruise every morning - no fighting people for a seat, no lurching to stops and starts every 30 seconds for the next stop and on the ferry you can take food and coffee - its unreal.

And after work on the ferry you can still 'unofficially' take a few beers up to the back of the boat and watch the sunset over the harbour bridge and opera house while sipping on a couple of ales and share a chat with fellow beer loving city workers (you'll chat with everyone from judges to company directors to lawyers to bums on the back of the boat).