Moving to Sydney - Advice

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

RichQ
regular

Re: Moving to Sydney - Advice

Post by RichQ » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:36 am

Good to have the Kreepster back,eh kids? I wish you & smntl would have abit of akeyboard stoush.....THAT would be interesting!

Still trying to figure out where you fit in at N.N......any clues?

spotty
Local

Post by spotty » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:00 am

Rockin' Ron wrote:DY is a cesspool. If you like ghettos full of unemployed, idle, fat, mute south pacific milkshakes then DY is your place. You WILL get your car stolen.

Narrabeen is overrated in almost every way and has a lot of idiots who think they are tough. The entire beach closes out.

Curl Curl is the new venue for the sheep dog championships by virtue of it being so crowded that a talented kelpie can make it all the way from one headland to the other on top of the heads of kooks.

Cronulla is a hotch potch of pseudo-intellectuals, rugby league players and westie red necks. There is no middle ground.
I love your work Ron...

You are right on the money...

Especially with regards to Narrabeen... :lol:
"Surfing is 90% mental, the other half is physical."

"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly alright"... Jack Norris.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:41 am

lessormore wrote:I go to one of your back-up options every year in the second week of the hols-always get good waves at this time of year.
I went to Sawtell about 8 years ago and stayed at a resort there with some non-surfing friends. Got to check out the local area with assistance from Johnno who used to be a regular on the forums.

Very impressed.

Anyways, one of my sisters is moving there in the next couple of weeks. Guess who will be her first visitors. :lol: :lol: A couple of days on the way up the coast so I can check it out again.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:01 pm

Mate I think your crazy to move here just for work. What is your job that it's so important to re-establish around work. I find that very old school, Unless of course you love your job. You mentioned you need to travel around in your career, So heading toward's my "Where to live " forum and pm's for my 2 bob's I reckon the Stanwell Park to say Bulli stretch. You have a major Rail Line straight to the city if needed and the highway up is quite fast also. Sydney is a rat race, and money is way to important here. If everything up there is great except you want to chase more money, Depending on how old you are (Family, Kid's etc) I would stay put. SERIOUSLY.

M

Deesee
barnacle

Post by Deesee » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:13 pm

Hey EMP - Helensburgh may be an alright spot. Garie / Stanwell down the st, City within an hour, half hour to the Gong, and beautiful National Park surrounds (mountain biking etc). The Skatepark is top notch as well! Property prices are cheaper than SYD suburbs but with fresh air and nice scenery. New facilities are being made all the time as well.
If it feels good, do it.

roundhouse
Grommet

Post by roundhouse » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:30 pm

eMpowered wrote:Mate I think your crazy to move here just for work. What is your job that it's so important to re-establish around work. I find that very old school, Unless of course you love your job. You mentioned you need to travel around in your career, So heading toward's my "Where to live " forum and pm's for my 2 bob's I reckon the Stanwell Park to say Bulli stretch. You have a major Rail Line straight to the city if needed and the highway up is quite fast also. Sydney is a rat race, and money is way to important here. If everything up there is great except you want to chase more money, Depending on how old you are (Family, Kid's etc) I would stay put. SERIOUSLY.

M
Not so much that I have to move for work, but they do need someone in Sydney and I will get better money/future prospects if I put my hand up and do it for a year or two. People are losing jobs left right and centre at the moment so its not a bad thing to act like your taking one for the team and moving for work. Also i am pretty sick of where I live, same people, friends, waves, shit all my life. I dont want to be one of those people who have lived in the same suburb there whole life.. Makes me think that you havent really done much with your life if you've been in the same spot and havent got out and seen the world. Change is good sometimes. Im only in my early twenties so im not too keen in living in a small coastal town for now, having a city close by gives you some entertainment when you need. Thanks for the replies guys, as for you guys saying dont do it.. thats cool, if I try it and dont like it, I can always move back.. Benefits of being young with no kids/own home etc.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:06 pm

Absolutely roundhouse, you've got nothing to lose. You may love Sydney, and certainly it is a valuable life experience trying it. As you say, if you don't like it you can always go back.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:42 pm

Yep, At your age I would say, Absolutely go for it. Now to get a litle politically uncorrect. I will keep it mild as I know people from most area's of Syd. As i said...

Stanwell area, Great surf and not far from the city.

Cronulla, Hmmm.... I will leave that one along.

Bondi and the city beaches, As you would expect, very crowded surf, But such a great cafe and cultural scene for beaches area. Expensive to rent.

Manly to Curl Curl, Bondi to the bra, but a little more country (Manly in winter). But again Manly very expensive and if your young, you can go party EVERY night. Which for a country lad may catch up on you, I spent over 10 years living in Manly when I was younger and loved every minute of it. But that was a while ago now. Still a great place though, and great people.

Dee Why to North Narrabeen I will leave alone as well.

Mona to Palm Beach on Sydney's Northern Beaches for me as a country boy (Moved to Sydney when I was 18 for Uni) has been as close as I could find to balancing city with coastal, But as I said on the Where to Live forum, Ego is NOT a dirty word up here, But some great people, (Nick is a great man and has alway's been there to give me advise and hang out, Although Nick, Can't say you've ever blocked a wave for me? Ha). Alot of money up here, as with Bondi area, But again, Depend's on what you do for work. Tradies do well up here, maybe pm BB about Bondi.

If you have been up on the Sunny your whole life as you said, They no.1 thing I will tell you is that you have to be very thick skinned to deal with the majority of city life. As I said, Money and level's of what people think are cool are omnipotent here.

Good luck mate, and as has happened with me trying to go the other way that you are please don't hesitate to Pm me (Or others) for more info.

M

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:35 pm

Roundhouse, I posted about an hour or so ago but have no idea where it went. So here we go again.
I moved to Sydney in 1994, with my family, to take up a promotion with my employer. We never regretted it and in fact enjoyed our time there immensely.
I grew up on the Goldie but had lived and worked in Brisbane for many years so I have a fair idea what you'll go through culturally. In all honesty, it's no big deal. Having said that, I had a mate who had gone down there for work a couple of years earlier and he was busting to get back to Brisbane. I know you don't have kids but we had 3 who went with us and once they settled in, they also had a ball.
Anyway, I'm sure you will enjoy it and be better fro the experience.
BTW we're back on the Sunny Coast now after 14 years down there. Back for retirement. 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:14 pm

Is the traffic worse than the gold coast?
If you come by plane avoid brawling bikies.
Avoid surfing before 12am because of sharks.
There are no intellectuals north of the spit just rich
liberal voters and hillsong happy clappers.
Northern Beaches Surfers think theyre the ants pants.
Cronulla surfers think theyre Northern Beaches Surfers.
Eastern Suburbs Surfers are all hopless wankers except Bra Surfers
who are all dangerous criminals.
Hope this is of use to you. 8)
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Thibb
Grommet

Post by Thibb » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:21 pm

There may well be 350.000 rich egomanics around Bondi and the Northern Beaches but in the end YOU decide who you hang out with. There are plenty of down to earth people too if you look for them. Once you get your inner circle together it's great fun to look at the Paris Hilton wannabe's and their male counterparts as they endlessly chase each other along the sidewalks of Hall Street and co.

Also, you can live along the beaches and go out in the city with your friends from pretty much anywhere around Sydney. Location is relative.

The one thing you cannot escape is crowds. That's the main reason why you may not want to live around the tourist hotspots. In winter you will find people from all over the city come racing to the beach on good days. Summer is worse: always full. Still, Maroubra and further south is slightly quieter (not on weekends), as is Dee Why and further north (even on weekends).

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:51 pm

Good point Thibb,

As with everywhere, You will alway's find your kind of people. Its just hard when you are surrounded by so many "hero's".

And yeah, Up my end you can still find an uncrowded Palmy bank in summer if your keen.

M

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:23 pm

Personally I think everywhere north of the bends is on another planet but if you drift too far out you hit Patonga with a thud.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:32 pm

Not sure Dino,

Maybe I'm getting old. I just find the 20 somethings of my area to have alot of ego and literally no respect for there elders, No repspect for there surroundings, And perhaps worst of all, No repect for themselves. Sure amoungst themselves, they talk each other up big. But when you get alot of them 1 on 1 they are lost and directionless. And many of there parents have no idea of what they get up to.

There are many wanna be gangsta's up here,(Even Young Surfer's - Yes, it's true!), yet if they look around, They are in heaven. (Worst still, They would not last 1 minute out west with the boy's who really do do it tuff).

On the other side of the coin, As NC will tell you, Over the last few year's I have gone through Divorce, The loss of many Foster Children, A loss of my Dream Business, Watch my Bank Accounts run dry and back in October Screwed my Back at work, So maybe an element of perception on my behalf of someone trying to "Keep it all positive" myself.

Envy can be one hell of a curse.

But also I come from a Coastal Community down South, And People around here have so much abundance, But don't seem to apppreciate how lucky they are. (Especially the one's who own there own houses in Av, Whaley etc). These people literally have the world at there feet, Yet I'm not feeling the gratitude. (Let alone the hopeless parenting).

Keeping up with the Jonses around here seems to be more important than quality family time. I dare you to go down to Avalon CBD after 12 on a Thur, Fri or Sat night, It truelly is a circus. Why are parents letting these guy's cut so loose? If you go you will see what I mean. Poor kid's think there it, but one day, And of course I hope not, Some crew from out west will hear of there brovado and bring gun's and knive's to the mess. And trust me this could happpen for the un aware "Hero" status of some of our for want of a better word "Silvertail" youth.

I started the whole "Were to live" forum for 2 reasons.

1. The obvious expense of buying a house on the Northern Beaches.

2. I REALLY don't want to bring my children up around here anymore.

I hope that was a truethfull enough explanation.

M

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:01 pm

eMpowered wrote:Not sure Dino,

Maybe I'm getting old. I just find the 20 somethings of my area to have alot of ego and literally no respect for there elders, No repspect for there surroundings, And perhaps worst of all, No repect for themselves. Sure amoungst themselves, they talk each other up big. But when you get alot of them 1 on 1 they are lost and directionless. And many of there parents have no idea of what they get up to.

There are many wanna be gangsta's up here,(Even Young Surfer's - Yes, it's true!), yet if they look around, They are in heaven. (Worst still, They would not last 1 minute out west with the boy's who really do do it tuff).

On the other side of the coin, As NC will tell you, Over the last few year's I have gone through Divorce, The loss of many Foster Children, A loss of my Dream Business, Watch my Bank Accounts run dry and back in October Screwed my Back at work, So maybe an element of perception on my behalf of someone trying to "Keep it all positive" myself.

Envy can be one hell of a curse.

But also I come from a Coastal Community down South, And People around here have so much abundance, But don't seem to apppreciate how lucky they are. (Especially the one's who own there own houses in Av, Whaley etc). These people literally have the world at there feet, Yet I'm not feeling the gratitude. (Let alone the hopeless parenting).

Keeping up with the Jonses around here seems to be more important than quality family time. I dare you to go down to Avalon CBD after 12 on a Thur, Fri or Sat night, It truelly is a circus. Why are parents letting these guy's cut so loose? If you go you will see what I mean. Poor kid's think there it, but one day, And of course I hope not, Some crew from out west will hear of there brovado and bring gun's and knive's to the mess. And trust me this could happpen for the un aware "Hero" status of some of our for want of a better word "Silvertail" youth.

I started the whole "Were to live" forum for 2 reasons.

1. The obvious expense of buying a house on the Northern Beaches.

2. I REALLY don't want to bring my children up around here anymore.

I hope that was a truethfull enough explanation.

M
Is this any different from previous generations?I know that when I was growing up in the 70s/80s (on the south side of the harbour)being lost and directionless was called dropping out and going surfing and something to aspire to.The difference in those days was there was an alternative-settling down,and buying a house and all the stability that went with that.
Nowadays with that taken out of the equation (in most cases) a vacuum has been left,to be filled with who knows what.
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

eMpowered
Local

Post by eMpowered » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:35 pm

"I think you may have spent too many "hectic" nights at LA, emp, trying to relive your youth."

Bugger, Ya got me there Dino. I do love that Beer Garden.

M