ORDERED OUT OF THE SURF

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

bohdidontsurf
Local

Re: ORDERED OUT OF THE SURF

Post by bohdidontsurf » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:48 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
SPAKKFILLA wrote:Okay just to clarify..the guys who did the ordering out of the surf were lifeguards (the Bondi Rescue variety) not SLSC lifesavers. This would make them paid council employees, but does that still give them the right to order somebody from the surf as a kind of punishment for disregarding the beach rules. And are those "rules" written into law?
Council bylaws would allow the lifeguards to prohibit people from entering the water, and if they did so anyway, they could be summonsed and perhaps fined somewhere down the track.

I wonder if the non compos guy gave 'em some shit and they responded to that.

Lesson, don't irritate the lifeguards, most of 'em are surfers and they cut fellow surfers a bit of slack, but their job is not a piece of cake and they don't appreciate people doing dumb shit.

Youd never be allowed in the water if that were true Ringmaster, lol.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:28 pm

dinosaur wrote:Tink tink tink tinker tinnker tink tink.

Thats the rigging on bubbles' sailboard as sails past.

Oh yeah and the ovens are around from the northern end of whaley you hapless kook.
"The Ovens (South Whale Beach)

The Ovens is a rock formation situated on a point of the South Whale Beach headland, and is accessed by either walking around the rocks from Whale Beach (quite a journey), or climbing down a steep path on the Careel Head cliff face from Rayner st, and then abseiling (there are foot and hand holds cut into the rock) the last 5-10 metres onto the rock platform. Parking is very limited at the street entrance, the rock platform is very crowded, and in heavy seas it can be a very dangerous fishing area (never fish here alone), but the rewards can be anything from Snapper and Mulloway on the bottom, to Kingfish, Salmon and Large Tuna when live baiting on the surface. It is also possible to find your own livebait in the area."

You're the kook Toes. Back to riding your mal pal. Fcuk you're a lightweight. And I bet you call yourself a "local". What a fcuken joke you are clownboy.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:18 pm

As a former Kirra clubbie in my youth (Oh, so long a go) I'm not too critical of clubbies but my daughter has just reminded me of an early morning she had at South Steyne (Manly?) some years ago.
She was out for an hour or so before the clubbies put up the flags and before they were even finished, were on the bull horn, not just asking her to move but "Clear the area IMMEDIATELY or face confiscation of board AND prosecution".
There were still no swimmers in the water. I was out at the Bower and she paddled out to me most upset, scared that if she went in the clubbies were going to take her board. She has refused to surf anywhere on that stretch since.
Nice one guys.
A bit like the cop who goes over the top and leaves a bad taste in the mouth of any parent trying to instill in his kids a respect for the law.

roy Stewart
regular

Post by roy Stewart » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:53 am

A clubbie at Omanu once ordered my wife to get between the flags when she was paddling ankle deep outside the flagged area on a 2ft day, got the feeling he just wanted to check her out, he picked the wrong lady though lol.

Another time she was taking surf pics with tripod etc on the beach and our little fox terrier got out of the van and ran on to the beach, we are normally very careful to prevent this even though lots of other dogs go on the beach and had been doing so that day. Anyway this old clubbie started ranting and swearing at her even though she got the dog straight away, he threatened to call the cops called her a slag etc etc. I came in from the surf because of it and a stand off ensued with the old nutter and half a dozen fat meathead clubbies backing him up. Turns out he's an ex boxer who had one too many shots to the head and often loses his nana after a couple of beers. We went home and he showed up at our place a few hours later with a bunch of flowers.

I get on well with the clubbies mostly though the young guys are always good especially if they surf but there are some dickheads. Another time they were practicing some drill and this involved going really fast down the beach on a 4 wheeler within a few feet of my wife and little ones, even though the beach was uncrowded they were going like the clappers about 10 feet away. I suggested that they drive a little further away or go slower but they went into abuse mode immediately ( same fat meatheads as before)

Did a rescue at Omanu by request once and clubbies showed up out the back once I had already gotten the two kids on to my 12 footer. They took one of the catch but I kept one and took him in to the beach, they got a big write up I didn't get a mention.

K10
Grommet

Post by K10 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:52 am

TrevG wrote:... out for an hour or so before the clubbies put up the flags and before they were even finished, were on the bull horn, not just asking her to move but "Clear the area IMMEDIATELY or face confiscation of board AND prosecution".
Had a similar thing once...no one out cept me. No swimmers
Catching wave along the flag's boundary not in them...clubbie has a hissy fit
Ignored them for a minute but could tell he had sand in his vag1na about it
Was nearly time for breakky so I came in only to be abused and ridiculed my them = tossers :roll:

Another time, just finished nippers and went for a swim with the kids and missus
someone looking more like a fat old DHL courier starts with the bullhorn and a farken siren
starts going off at the crowd = volunteer :o

Thanks to Fong i thought SHARK !!!!! :shock: and start looking for my kids and then wheres this shark?

So i ask him and he says "Oh no shark... just moving the flags..theres a rip"... :?
Surf was about 1-foot low tide...

But is was Sunday and hot and there were heaps of "once-a-yearers" so he probably had to cater for the lowest common denominator.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:07 am

dinosaur wrote:
roy Stewart wrote: Did a rescue at Omanu by request once and clubbies showed up out the back once I had already gotten the two kids on to my 12 footer. They took one of the catch but I kept one and took him in to the beach, they got a big write up I didn't get a mention.
You might have been looking for the wrong story. Did you check for the headline
" BRAVEHEART SPIRITS CHILDREN TO SAFETY ON THE QEII "
I thought NZ Maritime Safety reported it as a bulk carrier stranding.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:47 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:hey nick nack :arrow: did you get a big shiny badge with the stupid stripped cap :?:
I wish!

Worked all me life ... slaving my fingers to the Bone ... and still no badge.

Big difference in general between professional lifeguards and volunteer surf lifesavers. Most of the former are long term surfers or superclubbies who've skilled up and have to wear the consequences of their actions all the way through. They're the crew you should strive not to annoy. Some of the latter are highly skilled and knowledgeable, many are enthusiastic recent converts to the beach who have a range of reasons for being involved, some social, some community-minded, some personal. They're the crew you should strive to be patient with (ie dinosaur with his English minder)

Fong's sharkies on the other hand, I wouldn't give 'em the time of day if I were you :lol:

Freshie Boy
regular

Post by Freshie Boy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:20 pm

the main clubbie problems are the "Sam Citizens" who have no real understanding of how surf culture works and try to enforce the rules they studied so hard when going for their Bronze ( :lol: ) to a tee when they're out on patrol.

do-gooders that are there to be seen as doing a "community service", when they really have no prior affiliation with the beach they patrol, and in many cases have only just recently moved to the area.

just on saturday at freshie, I was on the morning patrol and for about an hour and a half there was a sneaky left breaking just off the southern flag, so naturally there was a mob of surfers sitting inside the flag to pick up the left. my patrols' resident hero, who for some reason sees patrol as a family outing, promptly gets on the whistle, making hand motions to get out of the flags and not letting up for 15mins. patrol started at 8.45am, he started on the whistle at 8.48am...... :shock:

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:40 pm

Womble wrote:Well after reading this thread ... I suppose one could make the statement that ...CLUBBIES ARE ALRIGHT ... FOR DICKHEADS... don't get me started.
voluntary organizations ... such as ...
volunteer marine rescue ...
surf lifesaving ...
volunteer fire fighters ...
dealt with them all at various stages of a varied career path ... and although the
core members of these groups are fantastic and community minded ... it’s the
cowboys in their membership that f**k them over big time.
Unfortunately these establishments seem to have ...
extremely large dick head magnets attached.
You forgot soccer clubs, parents and teachers, parents and friends, parents and citizens etc. The school ones frighten the hell out of me.

So, did I get you started wombles :?: :wink:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:47 pm

oiuygfdfgh.jpg
Just sort it out on the beach.
I don't like to be told what to do. I have severe and an acute case of discipline control.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:27 pm

1) I don’t have a mohawk any more and haven’t had one now for a few weeks.
2) The only reason I would ride a goat boat in a crowded line up would be to solicit a specific response (you just cant go past ‘on battlefield’ experience) other than that I wouldn’t even waste my willy spit on one.

daryl
Huey's Right Hand

Post by daryl » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:48 pm

How the law sees it
I think there has been confusion b/w the concept of high (and low) watermarks, and high tide! … the 'high tide' position isn't correct and … the council jurisdiction goes out further. There is certainly no doubt about council liability for things that happen in the water at the beach (assuming of course they are negligent): see Waverley Council v Swain (the guy who dived in at Bondi and got compensation)

something about what international lawyers call law of the sea. wrote:Out to 3 nautical miles from the low water mark are coastal waters under the jurisdiction of NSW - essentially these waters are part of NSW. Beyond that it is Commonwealth waters. The six states were gifted these waters from the Commonwealth as a result of the Offshore Constitutional Settlement following the Seas and Submerged Lands Act Case in 1975.
Liability of councils will presumably depend in part on what powers they have in coastal areas. But there would be no problem with the NSW government legislating to give councils such powers, provided it was for waters no further seawards than 3 nautical miles.

It's those flashing lights on quadss when they aim themselves at you that give me the shits

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:16 pm

dinosaur wrote:There was a bloke with a mohawk surfing northy point on a surf ski yesterday morning. Not insinuating anything just putting it out there.
Hmmmm "putting it out there" darling. :wink:

I thought you guys have already had sex.

drowningbitbybit
Grommet

Post by drowningbitbybit » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:44 pm

Yup, the 'guards in blue at maroubra have been right aggressive the last couple of weeks.

I was out the weekend before last, and exactly the same scenario of surfers drifting into the flagged area but causing no danger to anyone, and the lifegaurds constantly hurling abuse and all kind of threats :roll:

Then a pair of clubbies, in yellow, come out in a boat and said to us in the lineup...
"Just pretend we're telling you to move. We think they're being assholes too. But we gotta come out, apparently, and tell you to move. But dont worry about it too much, eh?"

So when the lifesavers think the guards are being twats, I think the surfers had the right to feel a bit pi$$ed.
Why do you ask? It's the internet, it's not like I know what I'm talking about.

heefcoate
Local

Post by heefcoate » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:28 pm

lifeguard said to me here in newy that only repeat offenders they will call the police for and thats the only way they can be charged. public nusence maybe? cop shop only bout 100m away from my local and they are there most days in summer mostly due to smackies and bags gettin flogged, now 2 security guards are there every day.

pointboardrider

Post by pointboardrider » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:11 pm

About a year ago I had some fat dude(didnt look like a clubbie) come out and harrass me on a clubbie board at the Bra. I wasnt in the flags but a few kooks had paddled across the flags out the back and kept getting waves through. I think this fat knob thought I was one of those blokes and tried to bash his board against mine. As I was about to come in I let fly with the Fark you buddy and got a wave in. Then went and complained in the main clubbie office...they to didnt seem happy.