Shark attach at North Av

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

BenNickson
regular

Re: Shark attach at North Av

Post by BenNickson » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:03 pm

Surfin' I think what needs to be acknowledged is the difference between Sharks and murderers is the ability for reason and a moral compass however skewed.
You can't judge an animal based on a human set of values because it doesn't 'decide' anything and does not have the capacity for a value system. It has no right or wrong nor the ability to learn it, all it has is surviving or dying and it's instincts determine which of those 2 happen.

Also if you wanna draw a parallel between sharks and murderers, does that mean you support the death penalty if you think sharks that attack people deserve to die?

You sound like John Rambo fella.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:11 pm

*whoops posted this in answer to s'n't, missed the reply above*

^^^This is a bit tangled, I think the point is that it's the nature of a shark to bite stuff in order to eat it or suss out whether it's something worth eating.

It's not a moral choice on the part of the bloody shark.

It doesn't have a career in IT or a block of land at North Av or a human sense of right or wrong, it's a SHARK, a big arse predatory fish, that's what sharks do.

And they're not necessarily the enemies of humanity. There's a fair few of 'em in the water with us at most times and amazingly enough we aren't all dead -- which would surely be the case if sharks were intent on devouring people per se, instead of what they appear to have been doing around Syd for the past few weeks, ie having a crack at something then deciding it didn't fit the Eating Template.

There's about as much point defending them as there is attacking them -- ie none.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:22 pm

BenNickson wrote:Also if you wanna draw a parallel between sharks and murderers, does that mean you support the death penalty if you think sharks that attack people deserve to die?...
this is now a thread for people who can't read .... :idea:

ben .. you just accused me of drawing a parallel , and then by asking your "question" you are now implying I support the death penalty ... what the f'ck are you on ... :?:

please highlight the part of any of my posts where I said we should go and kill sharks ... and just in case you are wondering I don't support the death penalty for murderers, but I don't like them either ... :idea: :roll:

again I appologise for being a bad person because I don't like murderers and sharks that attack and injure people ... I'll try and do better next time ...

Royboys
regular

Post by Royboys » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:24 pm

It's their home and Shark's should be able to live peacefully without us
harassing them like when the Tree's in the Bushfire's of Victoria caught alight.

We have seen how angry Tree's get when they don't get water and we use
their dead bodies to smoke Fish.

We must treat the dead bodies of Tree's with more respect and have fish raw
like shushi instead of using firewood and smoke to flavour the fish.

We must not kill our Vegetable's because it's not fair for fruit.
The Fruit tree's have been killed by the Firewood. :cry:

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:36 pm

Ahhh the voice of reason in a sea of madness..

I think we can confidently say this thread is now done. Thank you Royboys.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:47 pm

iggy wrote:^^ i love your posts
:lol:

eat tofu!

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:54 pm

Karlos wrote: Ah Yanks. He's like the Steve Price of Real Surf. It'd be better for all if he was the Stan Zemanak though.
As in..........dead?

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:19 pm

TrevG wrote:
Karlos wrote: Ah Yanks. He's like the Steve Price of Real Surf. It'd be better for all if he was the Stan Zemanak though.
As in..........dead?
Yup.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:21 pm

In my life I’ve probably eaten 100 or so shark/flake and chips and certain other races like to cut off their fins (for shark fin soup) and leave them to a slow drowning death.

Humans are arrogant c-nts. No wonder this planet is going down the f-cking gurgler.

It’s enough to make we wanna do a big shit on someone’s car bonnet.

yanks r us
charger

Post by yanks r us » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:49 pm

Surfin Turf wrote:
this is now a thread for people who can't read .... :idea:

please highlight the part of any of my posts where I said we should go and kill sharks ...
they have no right to attack people ... if that was a dangerous dog that attacked someone walking down the street it'd be dead by now ... we put murderers in gaol , so sharks should be punished too ...

Sorry for not being able to read. I get what your trying to say now. Rather than kill or cull the sharks, by punish, you mean a good spanking or public humiliation.

What a wonderful idea, it's a win win situation :roll:

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:14 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Wow, you know more than the CSIRO and NSW Primary Industries combined...."for a fact"! Even though it's the CSIRO who does the white shark tagging! And PI spent almost 30 years tracking shark numbers from the mid-70s through to this decade! Genius
i am not reffering to sharks that reside mostly in NSW/QLD, those numbers are realitively stable, but of the sharks that do reside there they have been greatly attracted to the harbour area more than ever due to the reduction of dioxin since the ban on fishing.

but what i am reffering to is the migration, almost 82% of whites that spend most of the year in SA have migrated north, the highest percentage ever. I read it in a journal, i think it was written by mark meekan

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:05 pm

Surfin-I think after your first post you should have quit while you were behind.By consensus of opinion on here I think there is little more to add than maybe stick to subjects like lawns and fertilizer.
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

BenNickson
regular

Post by BenNickson » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:19 pm

Surfin Turf wrote:ben .. you just accused me of drawing a parallel , and then by asking your "question" you are now implying I support the death penalty ... what the f'ck are you on ... :?:
its called speaking in hyperbole or exaggeration to point out the ridiculousness of your argument.
I was trying to appeal to your rational side in that i didn't think you would be for the death penalty as you seem like a reasonable person. (In light of this please see me original point back and the original parallel and say that it still stands... sharks don't deserve to die just because they are sharks).

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:51 pm

Three shark attacks in three weeks, and three times the sharks spat out their catch .. so who's got the problem .. ? !!

bc
charger

Post by bc » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:27 pm

Here's a scenario for ya.

You need to surf to earn a living.
Your brother and your dad have both been eaten by sharks.
You know there's only a few sharks out there, so its worth knocking them off.
Would you start killing them? - endangered or not?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... 504829.htm

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:42 pm

Surfin' you cant be serious. To think that humans have more right in the ocean than an animal who has dominated the oceans for 450 million years is the height of arrogance. No-one likes it when sharks bite humans. Its awful. Every surfer knows the risks of surfing. If people dont like it they should cool off at the aquatic centres or nice safe rock pools.
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:53 pm

You go there Surfinturfin. Heard the sumatran tigers have been chomping a few locals over there since they lost their turf to palm oil plantations. The locals want blood.

You obviously respond to the old "world was made for humans" point of view. Obviously if someone brings a savage dog, tiger or crocodile into your street and it eats someone then they are out of place
Sharks are not in your backyard, you are in their territory.

Is the relative risk factor if say no one dies of bee stings for thirty years and then three people die from bee stings in a month. Does the relative risk remain constant as represented by the thirty years or does the rapid change in frequency mean a real change in risk factors. What if someone got bitten every week for six months?

Hope the kid recovers well.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:21 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.