Shark attach at North Av

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

bc
charger

Re: Shark attach at North Av

Post by bc » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:24 am

Damien Murphy came up with this nugget

"The attack has riveted the North Avalon community, a mixture of old surf dogs and the well-heeled crowd who bought in on the backs of the IT and building booms. Surfing, with its hint of freedom and danger, is a rite of passage for locals."

http://www.smh.com.au/national/he-saw-n ... ml?page=-1

wanto
barnacle

Post by wanto » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:54 am

oh gawd.

puurri
Owl status

Post by puurri » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:35 am

As mkm implied, being at Av the shark spat him out because he probably tasted of tofu.

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:44 am

horrible x 1,000,000 ... poor kid , poor family ... by the sounds of it this little bloke is as tough as nails and his dad stepped up big time in the face of such a horrible occurence ... I too hope they can all get through this and move on , but it's pretty hard to know how they are really feeling ...

point I was gonna make is that I do a lot of mud slinging about blokes who surf in wetties at this time of year but you would think that a major contributing factor for this kid was that he was luckily wearing one ... the taste, the added protection rather than his bare leg and that it helped hold the wounds together ...

every time this happens someone always pipes up about how sharks are always there and how we are in their environment and should respect their environment ... f'ck em ... if they aren't developed enough to come on the land then so what ... should we tell ducks and frogs to make a choice between land and water and stick to it for life ... we are capable of going in the water and we live on the planet so we have every right to be there and they have no right to attack people ... if that was a dangerous dog that attacked someone walking down the street it'd be dead by now ... we put murderers in gaol , so sharks should be punished too ... whales, dolpins and seals are beautiful creatures , sharks suck ...

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:00 am

Surfin Turf wrote:we are capable of going in the water and we live on the planet so we have every right to be there and they have no right to attack people ... if that was a dangerous dog that attacked someone walking down the street it'd be dead by now ... we put murderers in gaol , so sharks should be punished too ... whales, dolpins and seals are beautiful creatures , sharks suck ...
Post of the month so far Surfin, & despite it being early days, I reckon it's got the legs to be there at the end.

But seriously, I reckon the crowds are thinning. I'm usually out right on 6am when its still dark & I have noticed over the last week or two that the numbers at that time at least are smaller. Didn't make it out this morning, but I reckon it would've been real quiet. Mind you, my paranoia levels have been tweaked somewhat as well.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:06 am

The world would be a pretty fcuked up place if we wiped out everything that was dangerous to humans.Its stating the bleedin obvious to say we won't exist without a healthy ecosystem-of which sharks are part of.Should we kill every bee because they have a stinger?
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

robzig
Local

Post by robzig » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:14 am

:|
Last edited by robzig on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:35 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:P.S the results of long lining wiping out the blue fin tuna population :?: :idea: :?
What about killing all the goddam mulloway?? :lol:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:41 am

Surfin Turf wrote:we put murderers in gaol , so sharks should be punished too
Shark prison!!

but how could you ever be sure you got the right one?

Oh I know, Shark CSI.

god I wish I had the time to photoshop that lil gem. c'mon step up to the plate someone.

am stunned the Telegraph actually restrained itself this morning and shot down a few of the self-interested messengers of Shark Doom

and BTW! yeah wanto, how does it feel to live somewhere where surfing is a "rite of passage" for well heeled IT boomers!!!???? Ouch!

yanks r us
charger

Post by yanks r us » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:54 am

Surfin Turf wrote: every time this happens someone always pipes up about how sharks are always there and how we are in their environment and should respect their environment ... f'ck em ... if they aren't developed enough to come on the land then so what ... should we tell ducks and frogs to make a choice between land and water and stick to it for life ... we are capable of going in the water and we live on the planet so we have every right to be there and they have no right to attack people ... if that was a dangerous dog that attacked someone walking down the street it'd be dead by now ... we put murderers in gaol , so sharks should be punished too ... whales, dolpins and seals are beautiful creatures , sharks suck ...
Your wrong: they are developed, they'd kick your a** any day if you came into their territory.

Your right: You have a right to go in the water. But when did politics apply to creatures like sharks? Rights are a man made system dont expect a shark to go "oh I better starve to death and abanden my instincts that have been so successful for millions of years, can't eat that human, oh wait, is it a seal? better not attack it just in case, they have rights! I wonder who made them up anyway arghh stupid system"

I suppose we should kill everyone who eats fish, meat, or anyone who has sqaushed a fly. We kill millions and millions of animals every day/year, sharks only kill a couple each year.

Bite the bullet and man up you wimp :twisted:

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:13 am

yanks r us wrote:Bite the bullet and man up you wimp :twisted:
It was the most moronic post of the year. But surfin is a fcuken moron. But "man up"?.... Surfin only would know one way...........garters, fishnets (pun intended) and heels ......with lots of heavy makeup I would imagine.

Now that would scare any Great White from the beaches.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:28 am

Yanks is back! The voice of reason has returned! Man up indeed you f*ckers!

swift
regular

Post by swift » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:53 am

I think we should all revel in the fact that the sport we love, is quite possibly the last on earth that you can get killed by a natural predator whilst participating in it?

If your number is up it's up. There is nothing you can do about it.

Larry
barnacle

Post by Larry » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:16 pm

I am not an ' old surf dog ' - and I am considering a class action, as soon as I find me trousers...

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:24 pm

swift wrote:I think we should all revel in the fact that the sport we love, is quite possibly the last on earth that you can get killed by a natural predator whilst participating in it?
And you aren't holding a gun in your hand! (just in case anyone was going to suggest that either shooting is a sport, or that you can get killed doing it, by anything other than a fellow gun nut!)

I can't think of any other swift!
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:29 pm

Larry wrote:I am not an ' old surf dog ' - and I am considering a class action, as soon as I find me trousers...
Speak to me about class actions if you like old man......... :twisted: 8)

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:38 pm

lessormore wrote:The world would be a pretty fcuked up place if we wiped out everything that was dangerous to humans.Its stating the bleedin obvious to say we won't exist without a healthy ecosystem-of which sharks are part of.Should we kill every bee because they have a stinger?
Either that or kill off all the humans.

I'm sure the rest of the planets inhabitants would be happier
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:39 pm

loco4olas wrote:CSIRO scientist and shark expert John Stevens confirmed there was no evidence that shark numbers had increased, and said fishermen's claims were mischievous.
is he talking about the total population of sharks or the presense along the east coast? becuase i know for a fact this year has seen the biggest habitual mating migration in the history sharks(being tagged)to the sth qld/nth nsw coast

loco4olas wrote:"About six sharks a month are now caught on average in the nets off Sydney. But if we look back more than 70 years ago in the 1930s, for the first 18 months the nets were in operation we were catching an average of 88 sharks a month."
nets are made to distrupt migration patterns and deter a shark making said beach into a habitat- its just like an electric fence, a horse wont put its head through it to eat grass after the first shock. the shitty thing is they only cover usually 186m with a depth of 6m----if they are failing as much as those stats above say we need more drumlines! fk the numbers

i saw on the news last night some lifegaurd giving suggestions to not get attacked and he missed the only one ppl need to know- if you dont want to get attacked by a shark dont fking go in the water