danw's WCT 2009 thread

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

jaytee

Re: danw's WCT 2009 thread

Post by jaytee » Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:42 pm

TC has been there, does a bit of commentary now and then but he hasnt been on today sadly.

it's amazing how slater calls the waves and the conditions though and his memory of single manouvers from way back is very impressive.

Sanity

Post by Sanity » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:17 pm

Carn Parko!!!

Sanity

Post by Sanity » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:32 pm

Some really weird judging this event. How was Mick's dredger in his quarter not a 10?

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:58 pm

Bede wasted Jordy ... 8)

jaytee

Post by jaytee » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:06 pm

fucken yeah taj!

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:23 pm

Clif wrote:Bede wasted Jordy ... 8)
Yes he did, but boy oh boy did he make a goose of himself in the quarter final.
Why the hell didn't he pull into that keg?
I'm not a fan of Taj's surfing but he sure pulled a good harry Houdini to win that quarter against Ace Buchan.
With TC Hamish stalling near Fraser with 70 knot winds I can't see anything except massive storm surf on the Goldy tomorrow.
It'll be an interesting conclusion.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Clif
barnacle

Post by Clif » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:05 pm

yeah, what the hell happened there? :( poor Bede.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:06 pm

Heats on demand has to be the most frustrating, useless, piece of shite thing ever invented.
FFS, the Dane vs Taj heat featured a crucially underscored wave by Dane that featured the hack of the contest....a full speed, full rail power carve.....and yet it wasn't in the heat on demand.
Who's doing the editing....the fcuken work experience girl from Brisbane?
Quikkie, pull your finger out...heats on demand should feature slow motion replays, commentary(post heat analysis), and at the very least ALL the good waves ridden in the heat.
The webcast/audio/visual setup has been extremely amateurish.

Sanity

Post by Sanity » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:39 pm

steve shearer wrote:Heats on demand has to be the most frustrating, useless, piece of shite thing ever invented.
FFS, the Dane vs Taj heat featured a crucially underscored wave by Dane that featured the hack of the contest....a full speed, full rail power carve.....and yet it wasn't in the heat on demand.
Who's doing the editing....the fcuken work experience girl from Brisbane?
Quikkie, pull your finger out...heats on demand should feature slow motion replays, commentary(post heat analysis), and at the very least ALL the good waves ridden in the heat.
The webcast/audio/visual setup has been extremely amateurish.
Not to mention the random Heats on Demand that just cut out halfway through ... whats the go with that? Some even report the incorrect person as heat winner. Quikky get better each year, but not yet as polished as Ripcurl or 'bong IMO

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:40 pm

Yes, how fantastic was that turn of Dane's. Just astonishing. God knows what happened on his final wave of that heat. We'll never see it I suspect.

You gotta think that after an absolutely brutal 2008, maybe Taj is starting to get the benefit of the doubt.

A lot of judging doesn't make perfect sense from the remote angle. It's the nature of surfing to seem a bit wobbly at times as a result of the judges having a different angle view to most spectators. Amazingly, nobody seemed to take this issue on today.

I gotta say re Kelly's memory of rides, none of this is rocket science, it just takes watching and putting it in context, something that for whatever reason evades many of the comment crew. It is a weird pressure they feel, lots of different things competing for their attention ("you gotta mention this! talk about that! ad coming up!" etc). But you would think it'd matter enough to pay a small team of commentators who -- along with the odd guest star -- could do a powerful professional job of it...since the webcast is pretty much the only real contact the event has with the wider world.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:47 pm

Nick Carroll wrote: A lot of judging doesn't make perfect sense from the remote angle. It's the nature of surfing to seem a bit wobbly at times as a result of the judges having a different angle view to most spectators. Amazingly, nobody seemed to take this issue on today.
Correct me if I'm wrong Nick , but don't the judges now have access to video review to review rides before they post scores?
If so then the argument that their angle of view is different to spectators/web viewers/commentators is kind of mute.
Or rather it begs the question: are they utilising it?

Cookie
regular

Post by Cookie » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:27 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:Yes, how fantastic was that turn of Dane's. Just astonishing. God knows what happened on his final wave of that heat. We'll never see it I suspect.
That turn was just mindblowing but what did the judges give him for it? Can't remember exactly but wasn't it only a 4 or 5? :roll: Admittedly not much else to score on that wave but....

The judging has just been schizo. One minute they're handing out 8s and 9s for not much, then the next a short barrel and a couple of nice turns is only worth a 5? Was interesting listening to Kelly's take on it all up in the commentary booth. In amongst a very crappy webcast, he's been a real standout OUT of the water this time.

Great couple of day's viewing though (when you can actually view it). Great to see the young guys stepping up to the plate this year. Jihad looks like he's firing his year after barely being sighted last year. His round 3 heat was a cracker. Hard to believe its the same guy who pretty much got straight 33s last year.

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:37 pm

That seppo todd klein c_nt is just that. Jake P takes the piss out of him the whole time and he doesnt even twig.

KS was a breath of fresh air this arvo on the mic, bit of a funny bugger.

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:52 am

steve shearer wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote: A lot of judging doesn't make perfect sense from the remote angle. It's the nature of surfing to seem a bit wobbly at times as a result of the judges having a different angle view to most spectators. Amazingly, nobody seemed to take this issue on today.
Correct me if I'm wrong Nick , but don't the judges now have access to video review to review rides before they post scores?
If so then the argument that their angle of view is different to spectators/web viewers/commentators is kind of mute.

I'm sure I don't have any idea on judging criteria anymore. AFter watching round 4 and the quarters, Fanning Parko and De Souza seem to be getting major scores when others are getting high 6's and 7's for very similar stuff. Maybe I'm missing the subtleties....

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:22 am

And why don't they head to Noosa for the finals... I'm sure Ti Tree would be way better

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:24 am

^^
Mate, Ti Tree is outa control. Eno's thru to Pot however....

Adriano is attacking the wave, taking risk. Yeah his cutty and style can be a bit rank. But when he drives off the bottom and into the lip, for that split second you're not sure where he's gunna take it. The judges like the spontaneity, and variation.

Parko and Fanning are far more predictable, but just so solid and flowing. They're on the right waves, and so they should be given that they're locals. I agree though, think they have been overscored on a couple of occasions. Early in heats too, which box's the judges in a bit. And kinda cruels the other guy in the heat.

3 prong
Grommet

Post by 3 prong » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:22 am

i love Parko's bottom turn....i know its not what everyone is looking at compared to barrels/punts etc...but it is a work of art...IMHO

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:24 am

steve shearer wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong Nick , but don't the judges now have access to video review to review rides before they post scores?
They do have access to video replays for review, but don't use it for most rides.