Nat Young Interview

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Re: Nat Young Interview

Post by Buff_Brad » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:45 pm

Larry wrote:there was this other time when I decided to take the little lady to mobys for dinner, this was when when the joint had that pool table martin potter owned - and here we are sitting down to dinner by the window and on the other side of a partition about ten local lads were having a quiet friday night drink when someone dropped a screen down and started to play a surfing movie featuring the subject of this thread

well, these blokes spotted nat and got so cranky about the movie I had to get up - go over - and ask them if they didn't mind watching their f.cking language - a bloke is having dinner here with a lady of you don't mind.

that settled them
Good one Larry , now put your slippers on , have a nice cuppa go to bed and do us all a favour. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Jesus Christ. :roll:

1. Nat Young was a cnut.

2. That's why someone bashed the shit out of him.

3. He wrote a book to redeem himself.

4. He's probably still a cnut. But hopefully a little wiser for it.
Last edited by Buff_Brad on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:47 pm

dinosaur wrote:I'll say it again stevo.

No one called him ****.

And by the way i am a good bloke and you have to like me cause if you don't that means you side with Buff Brad and Deeseese. Now thats a dark world right there old mate.
Can you possibly crawl up Steve's arse anymore Toes?

You so far up there all we can see are your toes , Toes.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:52 pm

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

buff brad knows where u live steve :D
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:12 pm

TrevG wrote:Look Oldman, it's the TPS alive and well. :lol:
Yeh, nice bait there TrevG.

Nat has copped a fair bit over the years, but all that I have read and heard shows that it was deserved criticism.

Now if you can provide an example of someone who was getting cut down because they were tall poppies, and not because they were obnoxious dicks, then you can start to cut down my theory.

Happy searching! :lol:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:44 pm

oldman wrote:
TrevG wrote:Look Oldman, it's the TPS alive and well. :lol:
Yeh, nice bait there TrevG.

Nat has copped a fair bit over the years, but all that I have read and heard shows that it was deserved criticism.

Now if you can provide an example of someone who was getting cut down because they were tall poppies, and not because they were obnoxious dicks, then you can start to cut down my theory.

Happy searching! :lol:
Thought you might see it. :lol:
The whole point of TPS is that if someone gets to the top of the tree, they have to stay perfect. As soon as they show human tendencies (ie imperfections), the hoi poloi start the process of tearing them down.
Peter Brock.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:20 pm

TrevG wrote:Thought you might see it. :lol:
The whole point of TPS is that if someone gets to the top of the tree, they have to stay perfect.
By that definition, fair enough, but your definition is shit. So again, the question must be asked, how tall do you have to be before any criticism of you is interpreted as TPS.

Answer: Tall!

Trev, no wonder you think TPS is rampant, trouble is that there isn't a country on the planet where Tall Poppies aren't cut down, constantly.

Moral of the story, enjoy your celebrity, but don't come the raw prawn.
Peter Brock.
Yeah, poor old Pete, boy he got cut down. Virtually held as a god by every revhead, and a fair few who weren't, for about 3 decades, had a song written about him by one of the country's best ever bands.

Apparently supported a very strange non-engineering engine 'implant' thingy which, although clearly mad crackpottery, a few in outback pubs were heard to quietly (I'm a goose) behind the back of their hands, respectfully and all. Got caught out in a nasty divorce, which was mostly kept pretty quiet by my recollection. In fact, everything was more implied than baldly stated.

And you're right, I once walked past a bloke in a pub who said he might not be a god!

Terrible time for him. It must have cut him deeply that 3 people out of 20 million may have had unkind thoughts about him. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:47 pm

oldman wrote:
TrevG wrote:Thought you might see it. :lol:
The whole point of TPS is that if someone gets to the top of the tree, they have to stay perfect.
By that definition, fair enough, but your definition is shit. So again, the question must be asked, how tall do you have to be before any criticism of you is interpreted as TPS.

Answer: Tall!

Trev, no wonder you think TPS is rampant, trouble is that there isn't a country on the planet where Tall Poppies aren't cut down, constantly.
Yep, quite agree it's an issue worldwide but moreso in OZ and NZ. Not as common in Canada or US and much less so in the UK

Peter Brock.
Yeah, poor old Pete, boy he got cut down. Virtually held as a god by every revhead, and a fair few who weren't, for about 3 decades, had a song written about him by one of the country's best ever bands.

Apparently supported a very strange non-engineering engine 'implant' thingy Energy Polariserwhich, although clearly mad crackpottery, a few in outback pubs were heard to quietly (I'm a goose) behind the back of their hands, respectfully and all. Got caught out in a nasty divorce, which was mostly kept pretty quiet by my recollection.Further back, was married to Michelle Downs former Miss Australia. Lasted about a year from memory and she had a nervous breakdown. ps Bev and Peter weren't married. She changed her name is all In fact, everything was more implied than baldly stated.

And you're right, I once walked past a bloke in a pub who said he might not be a god!

Terrible time for him. It must have cut him deeply that 3 people out of 20 million may have had unkind thoughts about him. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A lot of people went off him as a result of the polariser thing and still more when he swithed to Fords for a while. Having said all that, he was undoubtedly the best driver Australia has ever seen and probably also the best at "reading" his machinery.
Greg Norman is another.
And in Ann-Marie Moodie's book, Local Heroes, she interviewed 37 Australian identities. Only Neil Perry and Max Suich didn't believe in TPS. 33 strongly believed in it and some of those had been warned about it overseas before coming to Australia.One of the most notable of those was Peter Ryan.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:01 pm

steve shearer wrote:[
By the way, we call 'em jew up here.

really :shock: ....jeeze every post yours i learn something new :roll:

what eaxactly do you have a degree in :roll: like fish I.D :idea:

i wouldn't want come across as being such a dickhead by using a NICKNAME :roll: or a fake persona for that matter :lol: AT YOU

that may have raciest overtones :idea: :?

there mulloway mate...unlike you...something in the ocean i call by real name and give instant respect too :x
b4 i cut em and gut em

p.s going on the google earth image of your home steve....lawn needs a bit water :shock:
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:56 am

mustkillmulloway wrote:

p.s going on the google earth image of your home steve....lawn needs a bit water :shock:
We just had 4 inches of rain. That'll stir up the jewies in the river.
Bring a rod when you come down. Be a good week to float a livie off the breawall.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:06 am

oldman wrote:

[

I agree with Oldman. TPS is a myth perpetrated by celebrities who feel like they don't get sufficient adulation.
America's rampant narcissism and overblown ego/god complex amongst celebs is fcuking sickening.
Nat got everything he ever wanted, and a beating for backhanding a blokes kid. (a bloke he had mercilessly needled for years....thats right him and baddie used to call him needledick).
TPS seems more like a natural behavioral regulation system which prevents the corrupting influences of money,power and fame from getting out of hand.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:56 am

TrevG wrote:A lot of people went off him as a result of the polariser thing and still more when he swithed to Fords for a while. Having said all that, he was undoubtedly the best driver Australia has ever seen and probably also the best at "reading" his machinery.
I idolised Brock when I was a little kid, had his VB Commodore as a model car, posters on my wall, used to go with the old man every year to the Sandown 500 to watch him duke it out with Johnson in the Falcons, Richards in that gorgeous black JPS 6 series Beamer, Moffat in the RX-7 etc...

He was an amasing driver and did pretty well overseas as well.

The Energy Polariser was a funny thing, he swore up unitl his death that it worked. Still I guess chiropractors can make you see the world differently as he came up with it with his mate Eric Dorkas (I think that's right) I think it was meant to harmonise the electrical and magnetic fields that can affect how an engine runs, if ever so minutely. I doubt we've heard the last of this.

I still reckon his VK is quite possibly the most beautiful looking touring car ever, even got a run at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in the UK too.

I'd post pictures but the forums are fcuked with them at the moment :evil:
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

danw
regular

Post by danw » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:05 am

Hatchman wrote:
TrevG wrote:A lot of people went off him as a result of the polariser thing and still more when he swithed to Fords for a while. Having said all that, he was undoubtedly the best driver Australia has ever seen and probably also the best at "reading" his machinery.
I idolised Brock when I was a little kid, had his VB Commodore as a model car, posters on my wall, used to go with the old man every year to the Sandown 500 to watch him duke it out with Johnson in the Falcons, Richards in that gorgeous black JPS 6 series Beamer, Moffat in the RX-7 etc...

The Energy Polariser was a funny thing, he swore up unitl his death that it worked. Still I guess chiropractors can make you see the world differently as he came up with it with his mate Eric Dorkas (I think that's right) I think it was meant to harmonise the electrical and magnetic fields that can affect how an engine runs, if ever so minutely. I doubt we've heard the last of this.

I still reckon his VK is quite possibly the most beautiful looking touring car ever, even got a run at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in the UK too.

vk 84' calm with loads of options. i think you could also get borg warner 5spd with it at a price.
still a few decent ones around bringing good money
vk 1.jpg
vk
vk 1.jpg (22.21 KiB) Viewed 3589 times
[attachment=0]vk 1.jpg

danw
regular

Post by danw » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:19 am

^^holy snappin duck turds. i made a picture :lol:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:27 am

steve shearer wrote: TPS seems more like a natural behavioral regulation system which prevents the corrupting influences of money,power and fame from getting out of hand.
So, are you saying this is TPS under another name.
Call it what you will. The effect is the same.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:36 am

Hatchman wrote:

Dorkas sounds good. It was (Dr)? Eric Dowker. A liitle known side issue here is that he was also involved with Ian Baker Finch who subsequently had his golf game desert him so badly he quit the tour. My memory is a little vague on this but I seem to remember that Baker -Finch introduced Dowker to Brock.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:04 pm

TrevG wrote:Greg Norman is another.
And in Ann-Marie Moodie's book, Local Heroes, she interviewed 37 Australian identities. Only Neil Perry and Max Suich didn't believe in TPS. 33 strongly believed in it and some of those had been warned about it overseas before coming to Australia.One of the most notable of those was Peter Ryan.

Of course they believe in it. They have a vested interest FFS.

In other words "If I fail, if you happen to find out that I'm not a divine incarnation but in fact just a plain human being, then I'm going to jump at the TPS excuse for being cut down."

Bunch of freaking nancy boy whingers. And a pom. Lord help us, because a bunch of poms warned Peter Ryan you are putting that forward as evidence??????????

Poms, without question cut down tall poppies in a way we could only dream about. They have invented an entire tabloid journalism industry around it.

Now, how about an example of someone being cut down, as opposed to mildly piddling and pointedly accurate critiques by the wider public.

It's a myth Trev. Like all myths, you either believe it and interpret everything as being evidence for it's truth (see all religions),

or you see through the crap and read stuff as it is, as it comes.

I have heard people who would be tall poppies in their dreams only who claim to be suffering from tall poppy syndrome. It is common for humanity to look to blame others for their inadequacy, while self-honesty is a rare thing indeed. I'd say the rough percentages are that if you selected 37 or so people, 33 are spending time setting up excuses for their future failures, while 2 will be honest enough to take it on the chin. 2 will have disappeared from the survey results. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:14 pm

good lord here's a thread about Nat, and somehow it's veered onto the subject of the Tall Poppy Syndrome!

I mean how far off base can you get

ps if he's such an irredeemable fcukwit, how come his wives and kids are all so fantastic. Are they all somehow making up the Karmic balance. Or is there more to it than whether Nat once dropped in and yelled at ya.

PB
regular

Post by PB » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:19 pm

Question 10 Hey Nick! Does it bother you that you asked for questions via PM, yet there's 3 pages of them here on the Forum instead?