Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:24 am

Steve. I was talking "beach break" not point break. Nice attempt at conflating the two however
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:39 am

"I don't know of any other beach up north that could compare in that sense. Again, consistency (over quality) is something I value."

I just gave you an example of a break up north that shitts all over Maroubra for both consistency and quality.

breaks in E'ly tradewind swells, breaks in cyclonic NE swells, breaks in E'ly groundswells, breaks in small long period S swells, breaks in funky little SE swells etc etc etc.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:45 am

It's one spot though Steve. It's not the entire SEQ to N-NSW stretch. It's sheer consistency is an anomaly, not representative.
Sniff wrote:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:17 pm

In 2 years working on the Goldy and Tweed 2 days a week I got more waves than in 5.5 years in the eastern suburbs of Sydney surfing 3-4 times a week.
Sometimes I would go surf pointbreaks because I was lonely.

If you're going to include everything within 5 hours drive north or south then yeah, you get better reefs, but Steve gets Ballina and dbah, the most consistently surfable waves on the east coast, plus probably 3-4 of the top 10 pointbreaks on the planet. Plus straddie, which has options around every point of the compass.

Sometimes changing your mind is a good idea.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:17 pm

Haha ... Iggy, the relentless, one jihad after another ... you're a fuckin cereal killer alright ... must be something to do with all the fruit loops and flakes in the bigs-moke.

Beach Breaks, okay, I'll play, lets say just over the seaway at straddle is a plethora of pumpin peaks.
Or maybe, just maybe anything on any given day along the vast and sparsely (thats Sparsely, not Parsley) populated beaches anywhere from say around Evans Head north. Sydney pales in comparison ... you can have Punchbowl, us poor hicks'll settle for surfin punchy bowls. Cheers bruz.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:20 pm

Are we having fun yet ?
Sniff wrote:

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:23 pm

Hatchnam wrote:Are we having fun yet ?
Aren't we always ?
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:50 pm

Hatchnam wrote:It's one spot though Steve. It's not the entire SEQ to N-NSW stretch. It's sheer consistency is an anomaly, not representative.

Sorry mate, that is just dead wrong. Like, you couldn't get more screamingly 100% earth is flat 2+2=5 wrong.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:52 pm

I have come to the conclusion, Iggy is by far a better fisherman than Steve.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:20 pm

Aside from the sand points up north (to a degree) and Lennox (entirely) where else up there can actually handle the size and elements. It all maxes out too easily. You know that.
SEQ/northern NSW = best suited to small to mid range swells, overall quality is better, more susceptible to the elements
Central Coast to South Coast = handles tiny to huge, overall quality is lesser, more resilient to the elements.
Sniff wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:07 pm

You were just talking about consistency, now you're talking about ability to handle a big swell.

Keep shifting the goalposts enough and you might find a winner.

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:18 pm

Here ya go Iggy. This should make you feel better ...
https://youtu.be/iAfnvyYVVsE

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:18 pm

Worst surf in months.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:20 pm

Are we including Angourie in this?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:22 pm

I surfed little close outs at Bondi........and was happy. Cleared my sinuses after the doc wouldn't give me antibiotics and got to play around with my new board.......just like I was thirteen or something.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:41 pm

steve shearer wrote:You were just talking about consistency, now you're talking about ability to handle a big swell.

Keep shifting the goalposts enough and you might find a winner.
South is overall more consistent in varied winds and swells and handles big swells better, though the quality can't compete with north. I've said this repeatedly whether you read it or not, and regardless of whether you agree or don't.

I've spent almost 20 years surfing up north, and 13 down here. Unlike yourself who experiences (judges) it vicariously.
Sniff wrote:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:03 pm

20 years surfing up north?

You only surfed Lennox for the first time last year.

I don't think you understand the meaning of the term consistent. We get the tradewind swells, cyclone swells as well as the south swells. It's not even close which coast has the more consistent surf. But by all means we can keep logging it if you want. It's not a question of whether I agree with it or not, it's just oceanographic fact: this is a more high energy coastline over the 12 months than south of Coffs, simply because of the extra energy from tradewind swells and Coral Sea/South Pac cyclone swells in Summer.

just fyi, I spent 5 whole winters based in Lake Burrill surfing mostly the stretch between Jervis and Batemans, but am very familiar with the coast down to Eden.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:14 pm

Beanpole wrote:I surfed little close outs at Bondi........and was happy. Cleared my sinuses after the doc wouldn't give me antibiotics and got to play around with my new board.......just like I was thirteen or something.
Good doctor. Antibiotics do nothing to remedy a virus. Over prescription (completely unecessary for viruses) of them over a lengthy period has lead us to getting to the point where antibiotics will be no longer effective. It's already happening. You are welcome
Of course if someone correctly corrects me and you do actually have a bacterial infection, I withdraw the above. Even then, if you are able to drink alcohol and surf, antibiotics are still not necessary
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?