Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: Shari, collnarra, Butts, beach_defender, Forum Moderators

buddy
barnacle

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by buddy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:21 pm

Yeh, and AK was talking about the guy on the 7'4 Mackie on the big days.
Will give it time to work it out.

Thud
barnacle

Post by Thud » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:28 pm

Yeh I saw that. Described his turns like full snowboard carve on a mountain of water. Board looked funky however, Kidman loves MM. Still, good to see good surfing on good waves with something a little different.

MM is really on the side cut fish trip now....it's an interesting obsession. Kinda like that Ball guy in the 70's (Rodney?)

Anyway I digress.
Rashness is the faithful, but unhappy parent of misfortune. R. Buckminster Fuller

Trev
Duke Status

Post by Trev » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:03 pm

Looks like no one surfed here today.

I curse their head & all the hairs of their head; I curse their face, their brain, their mouth, their nose, their tongue, their teeth, their forehead, their shoulders, their breast, their heart, their stomach, their back, their womb, their arms, their legs, their hands, their feet & all their body, from the top of their head to the soles of their feet, before and behind, within and without

Jorgo
regular

Post by Jorgo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:26 pm

Rodney Ball..he of the "Clear Sea" label ..used to shape for McGrigors when Ian Goodacre and Barry King were there too. He (Rodney) was a ski instructor I think and had some pretty unique designs with keels and interesting parallel tail shapes that mirrored snow skis to some extent.

Thud
barnacle

Post by Thud » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:45 am

Pretty sure Mackies side cuts are based on an old school snowboard design. Not Rodney Balls but similar. I can't remember the guys name.
Rashness is the faithful, but unhappy parent of misfortune. R. Buckminster Fuller

saltman
Owl status

Post by saltman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:53 am

Thud wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:45 am
Pretty sure Mackies side cuts are based on an old school snowboard design. Not Rodney Balls but similar. I can't remember the guys name.
MMs inspiration would be the winterstick by Milovich Winterstick
These days they have morphed into the highly desirable genstick snowboard
The sidecut shortens the rail length and makes for tight responsive arcs while the length down the middle maintains drive

Rod Ball had the screwdriver tail - I thought it was derived from water ski design
steve shearer wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:04 pm
Loof is just projecting again, he's been eating his own semen since the age of 10.

channels
Owl status

Post by channels » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:54 pm

Ride report on this thing
channels wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:22 pm
This board

So went for the late at semi offshore/sideshore/lago at Curlie. Normal Curlie, bit all over the place but some nice sections interspersed with fat gutters.

So how does the board ride? Speed, speed and more speed. I now understand the trend and fascination behind the shorter small wave board. Gets in early, gets up to speed so quickly and skates across the fat sections. The flat rocker and channels make it track a little so there were a few falls trying to turn how I normally would. Made a few nice sections where turns were more shoves and jams rather than leaning back and turning off the rail/rocker.

Board is a keeper.

buddy
barnacle

Post by buddy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:00 pm

Nice!
I've got one of his 5 sparks. Also very fast.great board.
Would like to get the next one with tail or belly channels and thruster only.

Thud
barnacle

Post by Thud » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:42 pm

Sounds fun Channels

Beerfan
Snowy McAllister

Post by Beerfan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:45 am

Took the eldest for a surf this morning. Don't want to think about how long ago my last surf was. She had fun catching whitewater and I grabbed a few shoulder high waves on my JD. Tried some AM2 fins in it and it feels much more free and easy than the pc-7's I had in it, which seemed to make it feel stiff. Great board
we are the angry mob
We read the papers everyday
We like who we like, we hate who we hate
But we're also easily swayed

Beerfan
Snowy McAllister

Post by Beerfan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:46 am

channels wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:54 pm
Ride report on this thing
channels wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:22 pm
This board

So went for the late at semi offshore/sideshore/lago at Curlie. Normal Curlie, bit all over the place but some nice sections interspersed with fat gutters.

So how does the board ride? Speed, speed and more speed. I now understand the trend and fascination behind the shorter small wave board. Gets in early, gets up to speed so quickly and skates across the fat sections. The flat rocker and channels make it track a little so there were a few falls trying to turn how I normally would. Made a few nice sections where turns were more shoves and jams rather than leaning back and turning off the rail/rocker.

Board is a keeper.
Is that a SA nomad? Sounds fun!
we are the angry mob
We read the papers everyday
We like who we like, we hate who we hate
But we're also easily swayed

channels
Owl status

Post by channels » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:02 pm

It's a test model based off the Nomad template, called a Double - Ender. Definitely fun, I've tried a few shorter boards and never really gelled with one until this.

alakaboo
Duke Status

Post by alakaboo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:21 pm

TOS.
It wasn't amazing, but it was a shedload better than the rest of the northern GC.
That wind got up early and strong.

Been a while since I had to take a drop, my ratio of waves made was pretty average.
godsavethequeen wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 9:57 am
Of course not a single one of us is going to click that link but it doesn’t mean we don’t love you fiercely, alakaboo because trust me we do, you glorious high functioning wombat

jimmy
Harry the Hat

Post by jimmy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:28 pm

You paddle across, Boo?
happyripper wrote:I hate you Allan you silly old pooff. If I met you in the surf it'd be on for sure

Yuke Hunt
Owl status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:16 pm

jimmy wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:28 pm
You paddle across, Boo?
He paddled down from Brisbane on his kayak, murdering fish and scaring young children, surfed then paddled all the way back.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

alakaboo
Duke Status

Post by alakaboo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:20 pm

No I took the taxi for the first time.
Was with an unfit mate who offered to pay.

Have to say I'd be sorely tempted to take it next time. Coming back in the boat after 3 hours of fairly active surfing was bliss.
godsavethequeen wrote:
Of course not a single one of us is going to click that link but it doesn’t mean we don’t love you fiercely, alakaboo because trust me we do, you glorious high functioning wombat

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:58 pm

I remember when they first started running a taxi service over there. Anyone seen getting off the taxi was drop in fodder and got burnt mercilessly. It was on par with dbah drop ins on boogers.
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque
“Drailed” wrote:dont be like Beanpole

alakaboo
Duke Status

Post by alakaboo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:32 pm

80% of crew out there came by boat or jetski this morning.
godsavethequeen wrote: