Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:55 pm

don't be like that loofy.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:46 pm

I dusted off a 6'4 that I bought from Iggy a few years back. Was only the 3rd time it's been in the water since.Tried to get out at Burleigh this morning to no avail but took some solace in the fact that no one made it out 'cause the line up stayed empty for the hour that I watched. Was thinking the only way you'd be able to do it would be to paddle out through Talle creek. You'd know about Burleigh on bigger days Brian. What say you?
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:56 pm

It's still a cnut of a paddle from Talle.
Do it on the outgoing tide and from the southern side.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:59 pm

Braithy wrote:don't be like that loofy.
Mate, anyone that can swim like a dolphin is the real deal in my eyes.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:25 pm

alakaboo wrote:It's still a cnut of a paddle from Talle.
Do it on the outgoing tide and from the southern side.
Will give it a go, thanks Boo. Though I think tomorrow could be off the agenda everywhere on the GC. Might head down to the thinking mans Byron.
Hatchnam wrote:
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:53 pm

jimmy wrote:I dusted off a 6'4 that I bought from Iggy a few years back. Was only the 3rd time it's been in the water since.Tried to get out at Burleigh this morning to no avail but took some solace in the fact that no one made it out 'cause the line up stayed empty for the hour that I watched. Was thinking the only way you'd be able to do it would be to paddle out through Talle creek. You'd know about Burleigh on bigger days Brian. What say you?

yeah mate, the river mouth is the go. like boo said, jump off the rockwall and paddle straight for the horizon. there's a pretty consistent rip running right through the middle of the mouth. hopefully you get caught in that .

really watch it and maybe even count how many waves per set are coming thru. You wanna jump in while there's still set waves breaking, so the surge of outgoing water takes you into the impact zone by the time the lull hits. i'd always jump in with the last two set waves yet to break and always got out.

seen lots of guys mistime it (or jump in on the burleigh side) and pretty much get bounced off every rock along the headland until they're at pavillions. haha

... on big days like tomorrow, crew like billy watson will paddle out at like 26th ave palmy and by the time they get out the back they'll be at sharkies. you need an 8-footer for that job, but it can be done.
Kunji wrote:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:15 pm

I tried to paddle out of the cove when it was big once, but smaller than it will be tomorrow, and got 22 waves on the head. Caught the first wave of the next set because I knew I wouldn't be in the zone if I waited.

Got annihilated, hit the bottom and got cut up through my wettie, put a hole in my board.
Remember being underwater and being completely calm and not out of breath at all but absolutely indignant that I'd hit rock because I thought it was all sand out that far.

That was back when I was playing water polo and doing 9+ sessions of swimming training a week. These days I'd have drowned after about 6 waves on the way out.

Next time I did what braithy suggested.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:21 pm

yeah, it can be just relentless out there on a decent, building swell.

i remember watching a guy i worked with at asl paddle out from the river mouth on a solid day. he got caught in some kind of vortex of outrushing water from the river, and the relentless pounding sets smashing him. he stayed in the same place for like 6-7 minutes, not washing in, not getting carried out.

thought i was watching someone drown for like 5 of those 6 minutes. it was at that moment i thanked God for my ear infection that day :lol:
Kunji wrote:

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:28 pm

Breed em soft in Qld, what kind of soft cock can't paddle out through a river mouth. You blokes should be ashemed of yourselfs.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Over55yrs
Harry the Hat

Post by Over55yrs » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:29 pm

Lower northern beaches and about 6 out of 10 for me (beat the SE wind). Watched the cams at Snapper Rocks and didn't see one guy from the rock off get out the back. The sweep looked unbelievable and this must be guys who know what they are doing (god help the kooks) .

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:30 pm

Drailed wrote:Breed em soft in Qld, what kind of soft cock can't paddle out through a river mouth. You blokes should be ashemed of yourselfs.
Just didn't have the right board loof.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:31 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Wed May 17, 2017 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:50 pm

It's weird the whole Sydney vs Goldcoast thing in terms of surf. For some reason Sydney doesn't get the currents that the GC does. I've surfed 6-8 ft Cronulla point in a south swell which you'd think would produce a massive current but it's pretty much non existent even though the water is running north. Even Tama in a good 8ft swell doesn't have anywhere near the amount of water moving parralel to the coast that it does up here. I do think that there is something about Sydney area waves that pack more punch but put that down to them coming out of deeper water but they don't hit really shallow banks like tends to happen up here. I mentioned the other day about a surf I had on the beaches up here and it was every bit as heavy as 6 foot voodoo. Sorry to sound like a Ringmaster but that's how I see it.
Hatchnam wrote:
swvic wrote:

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:52 pm

Drailed wrote:Breed em soft in Qld, what kind of soft cock can't paddle out through a river mouth. You blokes should be ashemed of yourselfs.
On average, a core QLD point break surfer would paddle circles around any Sydney surfer. The sweeps up there in big swells can be a total nightmare.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:59 pm

Jimmy's spot on. Up there it's perfect waves, razor sharp lips, shallow dredging sandbanks, and horrendous sweeps. Down here it's shiftier, heavier and thicker, but you don't have the same paddle out headaches to contend with, even on the beachies. Dicey rock offs are about the biggest concern.
Sniff wrote:

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:10 pm

Even the "Don" as loofy calls it. Has a similar set up to a point up here but there is little to no sweep. When its big you can still get out but as I mentioned earlier, there was no way anyone was getting out at Burleigh this morning.
Looking forward to riding the Rich tomorrow Iggs. Not sure where that'll be but should be fun.
Hatchnam wrote:
swvic wrote:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:13 pm

jimmy wrote:Even the "Don" as loofy calls it. Has a similar set up to a point up here but there is little to no sweep. When its big you can still get out but as I mentioned earlier, there was no way anyone was getting out at Burleigh this morning.
Looking forward to riding the Rich tomorrow Iggs. Not sure where that'll be but should be fun.
Saw one of the pros get towed into a Burleigh pit on the news.
You need a tow partner.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:14 pm

Look forward to hearing how it goes for you.
Sniff wrote: