Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:02 am

Braithy wrote:"Hey iggy. im not much into this whole dick swinging thing about which is better, sydney or northern nsw/ se QLD
I'm not that much into it either. It's just something to stir up some shit and keep the lols rolling. Be that eating cereal, winding beanpole up about wave sizes, or whatever.

For the record, I'm not so much comparing "Sydney" I'm factoring in the central coast thru to south coast region, as Steve is with northern NSW and seq.

I also loose my shit and get super excited about twice a year when I go back up there, as the points are mind blowing, and the beachies typically bowlier. You can get barrelled every single surf up there, all it typically needs is the tide to drop out a bit. The quality up there is insane when it's on.

However the aspects I do prefer down here, are less about quality alone, and more about a varied coastline with lots of options, deeper water, it's ability to hold and handle size. It's a trade off of quantity vs quality that I'm happy to compromise on.

To be clear, if you gave me a choice between surfing the Gold Coast points or dbah or south straddie on fire, or any of the spots down south without a seconds thought I'd choose the goldy.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:07 am

thanks for the honesty iggs. sydney is a better option once it's over 8-foot, to be sure. but we're talking only a handful of days per year.

@bf ... yes early sydney is good. oneway. but go surf for a couple hours and drive back into it and it's a nightmare, yeah? dealing with that traffic going back home undoes all the zen & stoke you accumulated in the ocean, imo.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:13 am

Yeah of course when it's over 8 foot there's more options here. But even if I'd take the example of Marourbra as a wave, for all it warts (typically shifty, lumpy) it's a good example of a versatile reliable deep water pocket beach that handles a mix of conditions (not all) and can handle some real size, huge even. I don't know of any other beach up north that could compare in that sense. Again, consistency (over quality) is something I value. Overall the quality of it's something like 3.7/10 but the consistency is more like 7 or 8 out of 10.

And no, the traffic from sydney (south of the bridge and heading south and vice versa) is fine). I've had much worse crawls in traffic from the spit to coolly, even in the 90's
Sniff wrote:

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:49 am

Why oh why does everyone NOT living in Sydney hate it? Believe me guys you are not missing out on anything, but it sounds like you are jealous, you needn't be (jokes).

"You folks with your big city ideas...."

No one ever regrets leaving the big smoke but I hear from friends who come back for the odd weekend how terrible Sydney is. For me it sounds like they might be missing out on something (arts, culture, vibe, diversity etc...) but I tell them not to worry as very few take advantage of what's on offer.
Last edited by Davros on Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:00 am

I lived, worked and surfed in Sydney for 15 years.
Great place.
But it wasn't "home"
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:09 am

Northern Beaches = average
Eastern Beaches = pretty crap
Cronulla = good
Sniff wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:14 am

Yes The Bree....you've nailed why " I only surf Bondi".
Worked on the north side for years but could never convince the missus to move over. Better surf there with a wider range. Don't particularly like Cronulla.....Id drive further south. I reckon it's probably easier to find a wave if you want to travel down here....as the Haj has said. Central Coast has a shite load of breaks. Coal Coast has a couple of gems. South Coasts too cold.
The trouble with The Goldie and around is its too fcuking crowded...and when it's on....it's on for young and old.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:24 am

God, you cnuts are carrying on like a pack of cnuts.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:26 am

When the goldie is on... It's 3-4ft, short interval swell on good beachie banks.

You'll surf for 3 hours by yourself.

When the points are the only thing working, it's time to drive south 25 minutes. The place is a mess.
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:33 am

Have a look at Swellnets WOTD - that's what everyone wants

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:34 am

Braithy wrote:thanks for the honesty iggs. sydney is a better option once it's over 8-foot, to be sure. but we're talking only a handful of days per year.

@bf ... yes early sydney is good. oneway. but go surf for a couple hours and drive back into it and it's a nightmare, yeah? dealing with that traffic going back home undoes all the zen & stoke you accumulated in the ocean, imo.
Don't disagree.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:59 am

The traffic on the northern beaches is appalling. For me travelling to and from the beach (maroubra) takes about ten mins. I can also hit the freeway and be in Cronulla in 20+ mins. The traffic either way is totes fine.
Sniff wrote:

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:05 am

I have set myself up so that I surf during the day and rarely go weekends so it's not an issue for me. I used to do a dawny with mates and it was a struggle coming back but I have put that on ice for a while.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:50 am

[quote="Hatchnam" I don't know of any other beach up north that could compare in that sense. [/quote]

Apparently there is this little spot called Lennox Point. You might have heard of it.
Fun at 2ft, best Pointbreak in the world at 10-12ft.

Had a surf at the Pass with daughter this morning. It was scrappy waist-shoulder high tradewind swell, warm water, but the bank is shallow and ruler edged so there were fun 100-800m rights. I love the way shallow sandbars turn low period jumble into long, hollow peelers. Crowd was pretty light for the Pass. You just paddle for any little scrappy wave and jump on and see what happens. Some peter out, some reform, some doubled up, grew and ran down the line. Could have ridden a shorty and I wish I did bring my twinzer, but I rode the Pink McT and had a ball.
Last edited by steve shearer on Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:57 am

Does your son surf Steve or did he not get into it?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:57 am

He was into it during the summer, not interested this winter.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:09 am

Is he younger?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:10 am