Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:26 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:14 pm
Beerfan wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:14 am
steve shearer wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:52 am
not having a go Beery, but I never quite understand that argument either.

I don't play golf. I'm a non golfer.
My Dad is a mad keen golfer.

If we went to St Andrews and he didn't go hit a ball or have a round because I was there- a non golfer- I'd think there was something wrong with him.
It's no skin off my nose if he goes and has a hit, in fact I'd be overjoyed because I know how stoked he would get.

Would those non-surfers, do those non-surfers really get bent out of shape if you get a go-out?

Like if you took off early one arvo and caught a boat out to Kuta reefs and were back a few hours later, would they really be upset at you?
Or would you feel like you had let them down or impinged on their holiday?

I'm just trying to understand the psychology.
If we were with other friends, who do surf, it would’ve been different Steve. I surf probably 6 to maybe 10 times a year as well. It’s not as important to me as when I surfed 2-3 times a week.
Yeah fair enough.

So did you decide in advance?
Was it a process between you and you wife?
Did you decide unilaterally beforehand?

You were there for two weeks in prime swell season, right?

Did you think about it at any point? I mean, you must have seen the ocean.

Like: Fcuk, I'm in Bali and its pumping, wouldn't mind a go out.....or did it not ever get on the radar?

Just genuinely curious.
Going with non surfers I thought I might, but didn’t have concrete plans. 2 nights ubud, 7 Seminyak with day trips etc planned. I did see Japanese learners in the shoulder high beachie but it didn’t get me keen. I did see airport lefts from a distance, much bigger. I’m not sure it would’ve been a good idea for me to head out there honestly.

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Post by marauding mullet » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:56 pm

Last time I was in Bali I surfed, but not along the Kuta, Legian, Seminyak stretch despite spending a couple of days there to catch up with friends.
I walked down to the beach with my board the first day only to see the water a sickly grey/green colour and more plastic bags than I've ever seen in my entire life floating around in the soup. The waves were actually O.K. and I've had many memorable surfs along there in the past but there's no way in hell anything could entice me out there in those conditions. Must have been a lot of rain beforehand.
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:10 pm

First time I took Junior out at Kuta on borrowed hire boards it was like surfing in a garbage tip. Plus his sister and the Missus got harangued big time for hair braiding, massage, etc while we were out. That was maybe ten years ago.

Since then I've surfed the right in front of Ku De Ta just about every time we have stayed in Seminyak and I've never really seen it crowded. Waters so so but the beachies would be packed at most city beaches in Oz. usually hit Serangan if we are over that way and I've surfed somewhere new every time I've ever been on the island. Still a few places I haven't surfed too.

I agree about it being a hassle though. That's why it's nice to lob somewhere with waves and just hang there.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:13 pm

Nice fun waves a bit north of here. Beaches, running into a rip bowl

There. I've said it. 😀🎣
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:29 pm

Plenty of rip and not much bowl over at The Bra today. About the only guy nailing it was an old guy on a minimal with a hat. He got a cracker when I paddled out. A few grommets catching a couple too. No one else much. Excellent conditions and it sounds like Loofy got the best wave on the Eastern Beaches today.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:05 pm

Just after I started paddling out the swell spiked for about 40 minutes - seemingly endless double overhead sets. I got swept down the reef and walked back, then just watched as a couple of guys get some awesome waves that shut down fiercely. Then, one by one, they came in. They turned out to be friends that I usually surf with: one had a badly creased board, one a broken board, and the third swam in and then ran down the reef trying to find his board... no luck though, it was gone.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:26 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:29 pm
Plenty of rip and not much bowl over at The Bra today. About the only guy nailing it was an old guy on a minimal with a hat. He got a cracker when I paddled out. A few grommets catching a couple too. No one else much. Excellent conditions and it sounds like Loofy got the best wave on the Eastern Beaches today.
Interesting that you would leave Bondi for Maroubra when there is 3ft of South Swell considering that straight south swell is the worst direction for Maroubra.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:44 pm

pumping here, amazing actually. took some pics but no way in hell they are going anywhere near the internets until spring.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:46 pm

Owen downs Jordy! fcuk did not see that coming.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:47 pm

He was ripping. Love those tail drifts. Could be a day for the goofys.

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:48 pm

Did they say first time O-dog has beaten Jordy ever?

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:49 pm

Yep. It was 4-0.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:57 pm

Drailed wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:26 pm
Beanpole wrote:
Interesting that you would leave Bondi for Maroubra when there is 3ft of South Swell considering that straight south swell is the worst direction for Maroubra.
Bondi was shit. Closing out the length of the beach on half the waves. The Bra was about two thirds the size and looked okay but the rips were crazy. No one could stay in position.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:59 pm

BA wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:47 pm
He was ripping. Love those tail drifts. Could be a day for the goofys.
That last one went onto the bricks.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:02 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:57 pm
Drailed wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:26 pm
Beanpole wrote:
Bondi was shit. Closing out the length of the beach on half the waves. The Bra was about two thirds the size and looked okay but the rips were crazy. No one could stay in position.
It's a big ol beach Beanpole, you couldn't have paddled north or south away from the rip?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:07 pm

I was in the middle. Nothing down south and up the top didn't look like much was happening. That's at The Bra. No one was staying on any of the peaks around there.
I can safely say I haven't seen anyone get a decent wave at any beach around here today....and I looked at every beach. More people out at The Bra than anywhere. You were lucky, Loofs.
Thanks for the advice though.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:21 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:07 pm
I was in the middle. Nothing down south and up the top didn't look like much was happening. That's at The Bra. No one was staying on any of the peaks around there.
I can safely say I haven't seen anyone get a decent wave at any beach around here today....and I looked at every beach. More people out at The Bra than anywhere. You were lucky, Loofs.
Thanks for the advice though.
What time u surf?

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:00 pm

Honestly Beans how can that be. It was fun park stuff today.
Beanpole wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 pm
I grew up with Sikhs, Thudster.
Quoted from the book “A serendipitous life. Bean there, done that”