Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cranked
Duke Status

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Cranked » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:45 pm

The bukit is firing today... and it's about fcuking time too!
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:48 pm

thats nice Cranked. hows the crowd.

ive been stuck at home with 2 kids all day trying to do tax.

I need a drink.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:57 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:48 pm
thats nice Cranked. hows the crowd.

ive been stuck at home with 2 kids all day trying to do tax.

I need a drink.
2 keywords shep, shoebox and accountant!

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:01 pm

I went out at 7am, there was about 35 surfers and regular head high sets.

By about 8am there were regular head and a half to double sets. The crowd dropped to about 10 of us spread over about a kilometre, wind dropped to about 5k and straight off shore.

The sets became more frequent and longer usually ramping up to double overhead. I was on my 6'8 McCoy and scored about 6 100m + rides, "pedal to metal" as they say. Still heaps of monumental close outs though.

Just checked - saw everyone caught inside by a sizable set - and I'm about to go out again.

Haven't been checking ulus today at all.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:42 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:03 pm

:evil:

Tell us when it gets good Cranky

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:20 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:21 pm
I do think the overwhelming trend, at least in western countries like Aus and USA is for expert surfers, including CT surfers, to be dynastic. Ie to come from surfing families.
There are sound reasons for that, including socioeconomic ones and the increasing "need" for parental involvement in the learning process.
Yeah, I think elite surfing is getting to be more and more like other pro sports, which means a small percentage of high achievers will come from high achieving surfing families, but the bulk will come from families who are really into surfing but aren't very high achievers. I think that will be true worldwide, it already is for a substantial number of non Western pros. The family supports the star kid who achieves well beyond the parents. It deosn't necessarily mean the parent engages in transference type behaviour but sometimes they will.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:39 pm

What happened to Ethan Ewing - finding it tough. Just too young or out of sorts or ??

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:26 pm

As per tennis kids NC?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:56 pm

Good work, Cranky.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:31 pm

:-D-:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:00 pm

Cranked wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:01 pm
I went out at 7am, there was about 35 surfers and regular head high sets.

By about 8am there were regular head and a half to double sets. The crowd dropped to about 10 of us spread over about a kilometre, wind dropped to about 5k and straight off shore.

The sets became more frequent and longer usually ramping up to double overhead. I was on my 6'8 McCoy and scored about 6 100m + rides, "pedal to metal" as they say. Still heaps of monumental close outs though.

Just checked - saw everyone caught inside by a sizable set - and I'm about to go out again.

Haven't been checking ulus today at all.
I really don't understand how people read stuff like this (and the one about the cool monkey dude) then go 'nah, I'd rather spend a week on a boat in the Maldives with 10 Brazos, 20 Israelis and 15 plumbers from Tallebudgera that would kill you soon as give you a set wave'

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:06 pm

Haha

There are two big troops of monkeys: Ulus and Padang. There's around 100 in each.

One troop is based in the deep, just about impenetrable, gorge that spills out into Padang Padang, and the other in the deep gorge at Uluwatu.

There's a chance though that it is just one troop and the two gorges intersect somewhere.

They are active mornings and evenings and I spend quite a bit of time watching them, and have come upon the ulus troop a few times when they decide it's time for a group excursion to the rock pools up near Temples.

The Balinese hate them because they are always stealing and pilfering anything they can get their hands on. Tourists love them but they are not too savvy and are always losing sunglasses, hats and anything grabable to them.

They are also at war with all the dogs, both strays and domestic, but the monkeys always win.

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:03 pm

So hang on, Bali isn't crowded?
Erase.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:58 am

OddaP wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:26 pm
As per tennis kids NC?
As per.

re Ethan, just getting a classic first year stomping. Has little knowledge of the spots and overwhelmed by the firepower on the CT. It's not a reflection of his potential.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:45 am

I'm always gobsmacked when surfers come on to the CT, the championship Tour, so obviously undercooked and ill-prepared.
What do they think will happen? The tour will slow down or stop while they figure out their chops?

There's no excuse. The CT has had a moreorless static location roster for years. You need more than basic skills , you need elite skills and expert mental representations at every location or gtfo and stop wasting everyones time.

I don't think Ewing is getting accurate feedback either via self reflection or from his support team about his performances, in the way that say Leo Fioravanti is getting from Steven Bell. Therefore he isn't making the necessary improvements.

To me he still looks like a boy competing against men. Case in point. When he surfed against Fanning in clean 3-4ft Winkipop. Fanning just crushed him under heel like a bug. Judges want man turns. Ewing looked physically incapable of that.
He couldn't figure the lineup out at Cloudbreak and provided zero resistance against a highly vulnerable Kelly Slater.

Surfing like a boy can win heats and win comps......as Toledo showed against Julian Wilson at Snapper.....but you need to be prepared to throw all conservatism and all caution to the wind. You need to be boosting, flaring, making people's jaws drop. Ewing is surfing like a QS warrior who got lucky.

I'm sure he's a lovely kid and all but this is supposed to be an elite sport....he needs to get his shitt together or he'll be fetching cartons of xxxx-gold for fishermen at the Point Lookout bottle-o.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

OddaP
barnacle

Post by OddaP » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:47 am

I see them around here. Nice kids with big dream and parents taking them for a wave every day and training them in competition surfing with pizza throw arms and completing their waves. 1 in particular is very good, 1 of the top juniors in his age in Oz. You really notice when the grom comps are on and hordes descend from everywhere and the waves of full of very similar styled young rippers, that's when the tension rises as there is also once Dad who encourages his son to drop in on "that kook, don't worry he won't make it" as they are obviously the most important of them all.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:29 am

Ah, competitive sport....and coach parents.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?