Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: Butts, beach_defender, Shari, collnarra, Forum Moderators

User avatar
munch
Harry the Hat
Posts: 3229
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:32 am
Location: Blowinsville

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by munch » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:00 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:In most surf communities there's a very clear distinction between tow and paddle, and tow/ski stuff doesn't start till nobody's paddling. In a very few cases they mix but it's always done with care and the ski always gives way to the paddle. I am a bit fascinated by why it's so different on the Goldie and why everyone's so unwilling to discuss it publicly.
Read about the Skeleton Bay locals complaining about drop off's about 2 years ago - got a similar sweep apparently, so maybe the Goldie isn't so different. At least the SB were vocally whining about it.
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

User avatar
Cranked
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 9961
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:52 am
Location: Willetton

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Cranked » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:06 pm

Bit onshore and small in the morning. Sunny and offshore in the arvo. Surfed a well known break that is a favourite of many surfers with just one other for an hour, then by myself for an hour as the tide dropped. Infrequent 1'-2', got the Delta UFO up and firing, great board.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Beanpole
BUTTONMEISTER
Posts: 41599
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:21 am
Location: Button Factory

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Beanpole » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:13 pm

Better than Perth?
No jet skis?

buddy
Harry the Hat
Posts: 2868
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by buddy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:47 am

munch wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:In most surf communities there's a very clear distinction between tow and paddle, and tow/ski stuff doesn't start till nobody's paddling. In a very few cases they mix but it's always done with care and the ski always gives way to the paddle. I am a bit fascinated by why it's so different on the Goldie and why everyone's so unwilling to discuss it publicly.
Read about the Skeleton Bay locals complaining about drop off's about 2 years ago - got a similar sweep apparently, so maybe the Goldie isn't so different. At least the SB were vocally whining about it.
SB has locals?

alakaboo
Duke Status
Posts: 18944
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:33 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by alakaboo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:26 am

Pretty hard to tell the difference between the bark of a sea lion and the whining of an agitated Afrikaner

Beerfan
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 9044
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Beerfan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:20 am

Lol!
we are the angry mob
We read the papers everyday
We like who we like, we hate who we hate
But we're also easily swayed

Rustt
barnacle
Posts: 1767
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:23 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Rustt » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:14 am

X2 :)

Drailed
Duke Status
Posts: 16579
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:07 am

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Drailed » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:24 am

Nick Carroll wrote:
steve shearer wrote:so what do these old school goldy crew think of all this jet ski through the lineup stuff then Nick?
I dunno yet, I am gonna ask them, you can read about it on CW at some point

re super localism, I dunno if Brian is getting my point, this might be a circumstance where the head locals have got machinery and are bullying all the people who are lower on the pecking order. Localism powered by four stroke.
Nick, what the fccck is going on in Narrabeen... Check out 2.20 ffs, that little kid being towed in next to those two paddlers...

http://www.swellnet.com/news/swellnet-d ... ches-video
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

User avatar
Cranked
Snowy McAllister
Posts: 9961
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:52 am
Location: Willetton

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Cranked » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:46 am

Beanpole wrote:Better than Perth?
No jet skis?
No jet skis and, just as importantly, no sups.

Perth is worse then the east coast (and I better not exagerate or Legion will have me for breakfast) by a factor of 10 (we can quible for a point or two) and bali is better than the east coast by a factor of 5 (this time it will be Shearer quibbling on a point or 2)
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

User avatar
Legion
Duke Status
Posts: 14951
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:21 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Legion » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:50 am

...
Last edited by Legion on Thu May 25, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hatchnam
Duke Status
Posts: 15298
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Hatchnam » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:02 am

I'm guessing you head down to yallingup or margs etc a few times a month just to stay sane?
godsavethequeen wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:55 pm
My beef has always and only been with the realistic range available to the average Sydney working stiff
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

User avatar
Legion
Duke Status
Posts: 14951
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:21 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Legion » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:11 am

...
Last edited by Legion on Thu May 25, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 25437
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Location: good fanks

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:23 am

can't you relocate into the desert to the north?
steve shearer wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:31 am
You are both absorbing salt and urinating.

User avatar
Legion
Duke Status
Posts: 14951
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:21 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Legion » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:35 am

...
Last edited by Legion on Thu May 25, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 25437
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Location: good fanks

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:37 am

Legion wrote:Some great places to visit. Not so much to live.

just dig a hole ... the rest takes care of itself, brother.
steve shearer wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:31 am
You are both absorbing salt and urinating.

User avatar
Legion
Duke Status
Posts: 14951
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:21 pm

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Legion » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:38 am

...
Last edited by Legion on Thu May 25, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 24237
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Newport Beach

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:51 pm

Drailed wrote: Nick, what the fccck is going on in Narrabeen... Check out 2.20 ffs, that little kid being towed in next to those two paddlers...

http://www.swellnet.com/news/swellnet-d ... ches-video
yeah my understanding of that situation from people both paddling and towing is that everyone gets on fine and the tow crews are careful not to hog it, which is appreciated by the paddlers. Happy to hear otherwise from anyone who was out there. The kid is Kobi Clements, son of Steve.

User avatar
crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand
Posts: 25437
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Location: good fanks

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by crabmeat thompson » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:04 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
Drailed wrote: Nick, what the fccck is going on in Narrabeen... Check out 2.20 ffs, that little kid being towed in next to those two paddlers...

http://www.swellnet.com/news/swellnet-d ... ches-video
yeah my understanding of that situation from people both paddling and towing is that everyone gets on fine and the tow crews are careful not to hog it, which is appreciated by the paddlers. Happy to hear otherwise from anyone who was out there. The kid is Kobi Clements, son of Steve.


still, doesn't make it right does it? Eddie Aikau is rolling in his grave somewhere, watching all these skis infiltrate paddling zones.


Paddling zones, Nick. For paddling!
steve shearer wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:31 am
You are both absorbing salt and urinating.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests