Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:30 am

At the risk of offering uninvited advice - Small boards like that won't help u one bit if ur learning. Ur better off on a bigger longer board. Get a board that can catch shit loads of waves. U will improve a lot quicker as a result. Get ur wave count up and start to get some flow and lines happening.,Plenty of time later to go for a small board. It's just gonna be a hurdle for now.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:12 pm

I got the 6'4" x 21 1/4" x 2 3/4" JS Blak Box after going too short too soon last year with a 5'10" (or was that a 5'11") Dumpster Diver. I got rid of the DD pretty soon and replaced it with the JS. I also have a 6'6" Miller Waterskate that catches more waves. Wave count is definitely important at my stage but I feel that the JS offers a good compromise between wave catching and "safety" in the lineup. With the Miller 6'6", I struggle to get out through a wall of whitewater and when a set comes in I can't sink the board so I put all my weight forward to minimise the push back if I can't make the shoulder in time.

I know that people on bigger boards don't have this problem of getting pushed back by whitewater / sets so I am all ears for any advice on getting bigger boards out in the lineup. Thanks.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:25 pm

Whoops. Just realised I may have mis-read Hatchnam's post. Were you referring to the 5'6" fish, my 6'4" regular board or both when you said the boards were too short? I only rode the fish today because I have never tried one before and it was a good day to try something different.
smnmntll wrote: She's also moderately hot, with a bit of that petulance-approved titless starved whippet look about her but still pretty decent.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:20 pm

Well if it was me in ur shoes I'd be preserving with the miller. Just work on positioning and timing for the duckdive. Do it a shave earlier and use ur foot on the tail if u need to for scooping the board under.

Bottom line is the more waves u catch the better u'll get and sooner. The bigger board will get u into the waves earlier, and let u position yourself deeper and set your line Down the Line (which flattens and draws out the steepness of drop). The take off is mostly a high line sprint from the start. south Maroubra (which u surf most) is a bowly down the line fast sectioning wave. It's essentially a speed run with a top turn off each link up section and maybe a cutback into the reform, where it just does the same thing over again (a speed run).

With a bigger longer board u will simply catch more waves. I'm repeating myself here but it's what u will need the most for now.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:20 pm

Thanks for the input. I was actually going to put the Miller on Gumtree last week but never got around to it. I'll hang on to it for now.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:32 pm

There were some fun as fcuk chunky jackhammer wedges down the beach today as the new S/SSE swell combined with complex E to ESE swell trains.

It was sooooo good to feel some power under the board. Take a few late drops under the axe, get hammered, get hammered as hell on the bank paddling out. Under grey skies and a SW to SSW wind that kept threatening to swing SE but never quite did.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:44 pm

Yes I heard it was looking good down your way this morning Steve.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:52 pm

It was nothing amazing and the Point was obscenely crowded but luckily this corner opened up as the tide came in.

it still had plenty of wobble through it but the juice was very welcome.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:32 pm

Matticus Finch wrote:Couldn't really find anything, he does it in this video but it's hard to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKfUQ_AsrO4

It's all about just getting that nose under to start with, after that it's a normal duck dive. Try it when you're out the back waiting for waves and you'll get it worked out pretty quick.
Thanks for the link. I'll try that technique on my 6'6" Miller Waterskate once I waxed it up again.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:45 pm

The Waterskate has a fairly wide nose and I have never been able to get it down by pushing down on it, unlike other boards I have tried, so the scooping technique should apply to it as well.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:47 pm

Just back from a fun session at Queenscliff. Remarkably uncrowded but that'll soon change with the Hurley Open circus in town for the next week or two.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:00 pm

Matticus Finch wrote:Works with any board with a bit of foam, the pointier it is the less corner scoop you need to do though.

Think of it like pushing a knife through a tomato, do it flat it's kinda hard but possible, turn it 90 degrees and it slices.
Or you can just turtle roll - if we oldies can get 9ft longboards out the back, then you should be able to get a 6ft6 out.

Karlos
Snowy McAllister

Post by Karlos » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:01 pm

Matticus Finch wrote:Theoretically, knife technique should work with penetrating Hurley Open circus crowds too Karlos.
I have a feeling I'll be too far away to need knife technique over the next fortnight. Then again, the skating at the last one was pretty cool & Lance Mountain will be there amongst other vert maniacs so maybe it will come in handy.

Might have to look at the swell forecast as well. Hopefully it'll be better than the shit served up last time.

petulance
Huey's Right Hand

Post by petulance » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:14 pm

ctd wrote:
Matticus Finch wrote:Works with any board with a bit of foam, the pointier it is the less corner scoop you need to do though.

Think of it like pushing a knife through a tomato, do it flat it's kinda hard but possible, turn it 90 degrees and it slices.
Or you can just turtle roll - if we oldies can get 9ft longboards out the back, then you should be able to get a 6ft6 out.
Good point about the turtle roll. And yes, I did say a few posts back that people on bigger boards don't have trouble getting out the back. I forgot about the turtle roll.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:01 pm

Finally got some decent waves.
I'll most likely be a weekend warrior soon, and I sure felt like one today.
No paddle, no pop, botched turns, dropped about a third further down the pecking order and I wasn't at the top to start with.

Sand placement is pretty epic at the moment on the sthern Goldy.

crabmeat thompson
Huey's Right Hand

Post by crabmeat thompson » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:37 pm

alakaboo wrote:
Sand placement is pretty epic at the moment on the sthern Goldy.
Uh-oh ... Here comes donweather, and he's carrying a sickle!
Kunji wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 8:09 am
Would you mind throwing in a little more homoeroticism

jimmy
Snowy McAllister

Post by jimmy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:43 pm

D'bah was fantastic this afternoon.. Had a couple of hours before I had to jump on a plane back to Sydney. Was gonna surf Bondi but decided a beer with Skipper was a better option seeing as he moves out tomorrow.
Hatchnam wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:13 pm
How about tame down the scatter gun must consecutively post on every thread behaviour you compulsive mongoloid.
swvic wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:54 pm
Actually, that’s interesting. Take note, beanpole