Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

nthnbeachesguy
Local
Location: Sydney, where??? dont take a rocket scientist to figure that out!

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by nthnbeachesguy » Mon May 20, 2013 9:09 pm

Had some fun waves today at the local, got a couple of surfs in which was good. Very different from my experience up the coast on Friday near Seal Rocks, only three of us in the water, mate looks at me and tells me he thinks he's seen a shark. I look out a bit and see a large 6-7ft grey shape missiling through a set out the back, looked like it was surfing like a dolphin so I called it as such but then it never broke the surface either.

Not 1 minute later the chick sitting about 20m away from us gets belted from below and all hell broke loose. She got knocked clean off her board and started screaming and thrashing around. Mate and I took a second or two to get over the shock of what was happening and then paddled out to her fearing the worst. Luckily she got back on her board and took a few strokes in our direction before we got to her.

Unbelievably we thought there wasn't a scratch on her and we hightailed it to the beach, feet out of the water with that horrible feeling that you may be belted at any second. Other then a couple of small pressures in the bottom of her board there was no evidence of anything at all. Pretty much dumbfounded that there was nothing, she got really hit hard from what we saw, no idea what really hit her but it finished our surfing for the day.

HJad a better surf the next day a few kms away, there was about 10 or so guys out but that wasn't really a worry after the events of the day before.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon May 20, 2013 9:23 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Thats a pretty lucky miss there nbg
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue May 21, 2013 5:57 am

wow.

very lucky near miss.

I wonder in those situations whether the shark has hit the target with it's head but not got a bite in or turned at the last second and side swiped with the tail/body.

Either way, bumpings like that seem reasonably common.

Bet she had nice dreams last night.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue May 21, 2013 6:10 am

I've been bumped like that in Indo.
Lost a tiny bit of skin as it grazed my calf, didn't see it come or go.
Mate and I went straight on the next two waves onto almost dry coral to get out of there.

Tigers do it when eating turtles, flip them so they can't get away. Been told bulls do it when curious, seen them hit buoys with their nose to check things out.

swvic
Snowy McAllister

Post by swvic » Tue May 21, 2013 7:38 am

Common for seven gill sharks down here. Not with much force apparently. Happy not to have tigers and bulls
marcus wrote:and that vicco dude, whatsisname?

nthnbeachesguy
Local

Post by nthnbeachesguy » Tue May 21, 2013 8:00 am

Not sure what it was but from what I know about sharks which admittedly isn't that much, bull and bronzeys are very much a darker colour, this was grey like dolphin grey or grey nurse grey or great white grey I suppose. Very happy with the outcome all things considered. Did a bit of reading and it would seem that dolphins can sometimes do this, there is one in NZ they have named Moko thats made a habit out of it and is actually something of a pest.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue May 21, 2013 12:04 pm

Sharks do the wave-catching thing like dolphins -- but the profile is pretty distinctly different, much sharper lines, you'd tell the diff. I've seen 'em do it a couple of times around that area (Seal Rocks and beaches north).

Maybe a young white shark? Doing a bit of practice on the girl but not going through with it?

terrifying.

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Tue May 21, 2013 12:22 pm

The fact that that thing is still out there alive is an absolute outrage. Wait till Michael Brown hears about this. We need to get him up there quick smart in his shark spotting plane with sub machine gun and just blast any of the kunz spotted out of the water. Just blast the kunz

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue May 21, 2013 5:32 pm

Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

nthnbeachesguy
Local

Post by nthnbeachesguy » Tue May 21, 2013 6:58 pm

Trev, what do they classify as Big Seal Rock? Is that the offshore islands or the bigger rock out near the boat launching beach?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue May 21, 2013 7:16 pm

nthnbeachesguy wrote:Trev, what do they classify as Big Seal Rock? Is that the offshore islands or the bigger rock out near the boat launching beach?
Not sure mate.
Only surfed there once, years ago. maybe about 1985/6.
I knew about the sharks but went out late in the afternoon, alone in slightly overhead stuff. Had an hour or so until dark.
Probably lucky to be still here. But it was afun wave I'd heard about and couldn't resist a solo surf.
Apparently there's some sort of a trench just offshore where the sharks gather.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue May 21, 2013 7:19 pm

Plenty of juvenile great whites up there and migrating Bulls from Sydney, although who knows with the bath water right now. Actually heard about a guy a year or 2 ago at Sandbar (I think) duck dive under a wave and get hammered as he was surfacing.

Curly 10am was pretty good this morning

nthnbeachesguy
Local

Post by nthnbeachesguy » Tue May 21, 2013 10:26 pm

Been surfing regularly in that general area for the last 15 years at least and was aware that Seal Rocks has a big population of grey nurses and that Stockton and that general area is a white breeding ground. The general idea that it wont happen to you still persists, it's just one of the ways you keep getting in the water.

The girl was pretty remarkable about it during the time we were with her, I do think that once the adrenaline wore off and her and her boyfriend were alone later that day she probably would have broken down in a fairly major way at the horror of the whole thing.

aaronn
barnacle

Post by aaronn » Wed May 22, 2013 6:29 am

horror shmoror!
you get bumped by a shark
big deal

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed May 22, 2013 5:46 pm

Loofy: Hawks Nest/Port Stephens is one of the world's major white shark juvenile "nurseries". Heaps of studies have been (and continue to be) done in the area examining shark behaviour. One of the oddest things is that so few people ever seem to be harassed or attacked given the numbers. One science project counted 200 juvenile white sharks in a kilometre of coastline just up from Hawks Nest. There were a number of surfers in the water at the time; none were bothered in the slightest.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri May 24, 2013 11:21 am

Oh my fecking god!!!! This morning comes close to the best ever beachie session I've ever had. 2-3ft with the odd 3ft+ freak sets, but they were the straighter ones. The better ones were the 2-3fters, reeling off down the line, with 150m+ rides. It's seriously like riding something at the old super bank, BUT, just me and 2 mates!!!! :-)( 3-) :B

I so fecking hope this ECL doesn't trash the banks as they are in epic shape at the moment. So feck ECL!!!! <:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Fri May 24, 2013 11:47 am

^^^^^^^^^
Geez mate. It's still a lake up here. :(
Beanpole

Skipper

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Fri May 24, 2013 12:08 pm

Was also a lake (where I surfed) when I got up at 4am this morning, but as soon as I looked at the Byron buoy, I knew straight away the swell was coming!!! :-)(