Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

JET01
barnacle

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by JET01 » Sun May 23, 2010 7:46 pm

You're making jealous Hatchman. I miss Gunnamatta... only thing i really do miss about being that far south though... what's the water temp atm? I'm still in boardies in sydney, you in a 4/3 yet?
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Mon May 24, 2010 7:01 am

Hadn't had a surf for nearly 2 weeks, but yesterday my mate and i went out in 2' glassy full, but not totally gutless peelers. So good to get wet!!.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon May 24, 2010 7:41 am

JET01 wrote:You're making jealous Hatchman. I miss Gunnamatta... only thing i really do miss about being that far south though... what's the water temp atm? I'm still in boardies in sydney, you in a 4/3 yet?
It has been alright of late mate :)

I still remember that pic you took of your board in the carpark when it got crunched by the airlines - that was the powerglide wasn't it?

Water temp is surprisingly good on the ocean beaches, reckon it is about 17 or so at the moment but it has started to drop faster now.

Don't have a 4/3 but as every year passes I find myself weighing it up because by July it gets ridiculously cold. Was thinking of getting one of those hot-skins so I can stick with my 3/2 so I'll see how that goes
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Mon May 24, 2010 10:44 am

Hatchman wrote:Don't have a 4/3 but as every year passes I find myself weighing it up because by July it gets ridiculously cold.
I gave mine its first run for the year this weekend, boy I hate all that rubber.

4/3 chest zip = loooong time to suit up when it's 0 degrees and 5:30am.

Was worse Sun morning when it was still damp.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon May 24, 2010 1:15 pm

^^^

I've decided I'm going to get a hot-skin this week, will let you know how it works out
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

mical
barnacle

Post by mical » Mon May 24, 2010 1:41 pm

Hatchman wrote:I've decided I'm going to get a hot-skin this week, will let you know how it works out
Surprised you need any insulation Hatchy, what with powering up the inside of everyone on those boats you've gone and gotten yourself.

Must be hot work pushing all the way through from the outside on every set wave :wink:

Keen to hear how they go mate.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Mon May 24, 2010 2:02 pm

^^^

Hahahaaaa!! It's just for Flinders mate, just for Flinders, I'd be eating sh.it all day long if I took that thing to Gunnamatta when it's 4 - 6 feet!

The fcuking irony of that is I took my 7' to Big Left about a month or so ago and had an absolute belter of a session, and that was when there were 4 SUP riders out there too! Although the dead whale did quell the crowds a bit...

But the 8'6" is a damn fine board all the same, always nice to have the long board option when you want it - plus the change from 3 fins to 1 makes things interesting

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Wed May 26, 2010 1:18 pm

and just for all of youse who believed the bureau's ranting about a howling se gale this morning in the Syd area...and the forecasts about a possible 3-4' swell arriving through the day....

sucked in. try bombing 6-8' easterly groundswell building through the day...and at 1.18pm, it's still glassy as.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Wed May 26, 2010 1:35 pm

Southerlie's on it's way(if it hasn't hit already) Turned onshore out Glamarama about midday.
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed May 26, 2010 2:15 pm

Flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.
Maybe tomorrow.
Roaring souwester right now.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Wed May 26, 2010 4:34 pm

some really fun 3-4 ft lefts at one of my fav spots, offshore was blowing a bit strong but no complaints here...will post a pic or 2 later....maybe :D hoping for more of the same tomoz..... :D

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed May 26, 2010 5:58 pm

Last edited by Davros on Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Wed May 26, 2010 6:13 pm

Go to BEARS!
Last edited by munch on Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

Natho
barnacle

Post by Natho » Wed May 26, 2010 7:51 pm

Got some goodies in the 6 - 8 foot range and offshore just after lunch...but it all ended in tears when I busted one of my prized boards :oops: :cry: . Yeh so much foor the surf report saying 3 - 4 foot with onshore winds.

Red October

Post by Red October » Wed May 26, 2010 10:50 pm

Up early for a speculator.4-5 foot, baby-bum smooth,3-5 turns per wave. Dont you love when they get it wrong!

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu May 27, 2010 8:54 am

^^^or just a lesson in the unpredictability of this coastline.

J-P

Post by J-P » Thu May 27, 2010 10:39 am

Was quite good up here in the Hunter yesterday (Wed) until about 5pm when the wind finally came up. :D
No takers this morning with a screaming South Easter blowing.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Thu May 27, 2010 4:17 pm

FFS, can we have some fcuking reality here.

I'd like to see these armchair hindcasting experts come out the day before and say "hey, you know there's a chance that compared to ALL available weather model data the low may actually stall slightly and give a window of super fast rising E swell and offshore outflow from the northern axis"

Whats that?
These systems are deeply and inherently unpredictable and small fluctuations in track path, speed, intensity and timing can have large differences on surf outcomes at any given location.

Surf forecasting cops it from both ends.
When's it right it's accused of encouraging "ultra" crowds.
When it's wrong smug experts ejaculate in a frenzy of self-congratulatory masturbation.

Those who think forecasting can be done from a cursory examination of the BOM MSLP charts are living in fairyland.
I'd love to see one of these armchair experts submit a month's worth of 3 and 5 day forecasts to public scrutiny and see how they go.
My guess would be about 30-50 percent accuracy.
Sure you'd pick up the low hanging fruit and the wounded and sick antelope on the savannah. The easy kills.

Surf forecasting is a body of applied knowledge which deals with probabilities and likely outcomes. Those who understand this use the error range inherent unpredictability(esp of East Coast short range systems) and score uncrowded surf.
Observation and insight is as justly rewarded now as ever, if not more so.

So experts, anyone prepared to make a call in advance on this next low scheduled to push off the coast?
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes