Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by alakaboo » Tue May 11, 2010 9:36 am

steve shearer wrote:

Hope they make it, but they probably won't. Should one be pessimistic in the face of life's realities or maintain a cheerful disposition?
have to keep positive steve. the turtles sure do, plucky little bastards!
the conservation movement's everyman?

and the fact that you were able to take the photo when they were on wet sand is a good omen because it means the seagulls and crabs didn't get em, and the sharks are less likely to get em.
so, as long as they can get past the jewies and the tailor, their chances are already well above average.

they're more likely to be males, so you'll never know how they fared, just have to wish them well.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue May 11, 2010 10:09 am

Scored some super fun clean as 2-3ft peaks this morning with not many to share it with (apart from my local crew).

God I love Autumn in SE Qld!!!!

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Tue May 11, 2010 10:40 am

Autumn's not too shabby south of the border at times too!
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue May 11, 2010 10:46 am

steve shearer wrote:Thats right people, fcuk Greece, Bylesy is hiring.
The world is turning right.

Here is the ad, verbatim.

DRIVER, female,licensed,who surfs,
needed,with additional part-time work at Bylesys Surf Shop. Jeremy......(phonenumber)
Good luck with that one Steve. It occurred to me that he isn't actually allowed to advertise for a female driver unless he has gained an exemption under the anti-discrimination act (may be section 14, couldn't be bothered looking it up).

Let him know, he could find himself in a spot of bother if anyone wanted to push it, not that I actually think that is likely.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue May 11, 2010 4:58 pm

well we joined the Good Wave Crew today in a rather beautiful and low-key yet gorgeous fashion today.

the east swell thickened up overnight and was hitting my home break like a cross between Bill's Bowl and good Northy.

DH was out there doing his sliding spinning thing. Squeak, Kev, a dozen other of the local boys, plenty of waves for all and even one or two left for the three or four wisely timid Brazilians who tiptoed out on to the inside and left their girlies on the beach for us to perve at between sets.

The quality was such that everyone lifted their level a bit, and for a while the Peak felt like a famous surf spot again.

Only person missing was little brother, who is still yet to stand up on a surfboard. "It's a real shame," Kev said, voice dripping with sarcasm. The consensus seemed to be that TC has had his 35 years of good luck and now Huey's time would be well spent issuing him a few payback tickets.

It didn't stop him showing up with a pair of swim fins and a Wegener paipo. Waterman!

The extraordinary warmth of both air and water felt wonderful yet surreal -- a day stolen from the approaching winter, whose first real southerly gale hovers somewhere beyond Cooma. Wake-up call's coming....but not today.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Tue May 11, 2010 5:14 pm

Yep, its on around here too.
DSC_053web.jpg
DSC_053web.jpg (28 KiB) Viewed 3867 times
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue May 11, 2010 6:58 pm

Nick Carroll wrote:
The extraordinary warmth of both air and water felt wonderful yet surreal -- a day stolen from the approaching winter, whose first real southerly gale hovers somewhere beyond Cooma. Wake-up call's coming....but not today.
Yeeewww! Carroll cover drives for four.
Was starting to think you'd been body snatched by Miranda Devine.

went to the marquee local left today.
Swell direction, swell size, tide and eventual wind were all prime.
It was telegraphed on the innernet at least 3 days in advance.
Was thinkin there'd be a light morning mid week crowd on it....maybe Shags the concrete cutter taking some flexi-time, maybe a coupla Le-Ba afficionados.
Nada.
Nobody.
Completely unattended.
Which is kinda scary cause it's a sharky spot.
Anyway, if you saw waves like this on your 3000 US boat trip at Macaronis you'd be on it like flies on shit.
As it is, not one person in the Northern Rivers or SE QLD was able to put two and two together, which now confirms for me the fact that Internet surf forecasting has absolutely no effect on crowds whatsoever.
That is purely a function of population density and general surf/work availability.

Saw a few shadows and kept my legs up between sets, which were sublime.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Tue May 11, 2010 7:12 pm

Yes well some of us have Sydney to deal with.

If that doesn't bring out your inner Devine, nothing will.

If you venture south to the next sacred site on thurs/fri shearer we will have the amusing pleasure of a surf together.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Tue May 11, 2010 8:14 pm

steve shearer wrote:went to the marquee local left today.
Swell direction, swell size, tide and eventual wind were all prime.
I'm pretty sure these images were also taken from your marquee local left as well Steve, but not from today mind you.....May Day long weekend I believe.
HeadlandersBBC_020510_0026.jpg
HeadlandersBBC_020510_0045.jpg
HeadlandersBBC_020510_0174.jpg

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed May 12, 2010 6:50 am

Legion wrote:
steve shearer wrote:[
Is that you Steve? Because that looks an awful lot like (IIRC) the messiah's board (or at least the spray). If not his, then KS's or some other high name pro (you can tell I'm an ASP groupie). Did he gift it to you for all your blind devotion?
Legion, I got the idea from the spray off a clubbie racing ski which paddled past me at Lake Ainsworth one morning.
The board is a 5'10" 80's style thingo which Dane was riding for about 5 minutes last year.(not this actual stick which was shaped by Pridmore)
Best shortboard I've ever 'ad.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed May 12, 2010 7:34 am

Nick Carroll wrote:Yes well some of us have Sydney to deal with.

If that doesn't bring out your inner Devine, nothing will.

If you venture south to the next sacred site on thurs/fri shearer we will have the amusing pleasure of a surf together.

Would love to skive off and go surfing down there for the day. Apart from the fact that it will be good up here to it's a hard sell to take a full day off for no pay with Tahiti on the radar.

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Wed May 12, 2010 9:45 am

Waves are going berzerk ATM. Absolutely flawless autumn conditions, and a very grunty 4ft+ of E/SE swell. Think you could pull up to any carpark, on any beach, pretty much anywhere on the E coast today, and get barrelled off your brain!

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed May 12, 2010 10:04 am

tiger wrote:Waves are going berzerk ATM. Absolutely flawless autumn conditions, and a very grunty 4ft+ of E/SE swell. Think you could pull up to any carpark, on any beach, pretty much anywhere on the E coast today, and get barrelled off your brain!
Yep. 8) 8)
Day 13. :wink:
Pretty full first up today but boy, the swell just kept growing. :lol:
Three hours and I was all surfed out. Gonna have some sore thighs this arvo.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed May 12, 2010 11:10 am

Big swell pushed through down my way but the winds kept me to Westernport where it was a modest 3 foot.

Got a few on the longboard amongst the rain and fat grey seas.

All up not a bad morning, especially considering I had the entire place to myself 8)
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Wed May 12, 2010 11:35 am

I Go the BEARS!
Last edited by munch on Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed May 12, 2010 12:44 pm

tiger wrote:Waves are going berzerk ATM. Absolutely flawless autumn conditions, and a very grunty 4ft+ of E/SE swell. Think you could pull up to any carpark, on any beach, pretty much anywhere on the E coast today, and get barrelled off your brain!
Yes I've heard numerous reports of solid 4ft+ waves this morning across SE Qld. Could me some more to come tomorrow afternoon me thinks also (and I'm not talking about that S'ly junk either!!!) :wink:

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed May 12, 2010 3:22 pm

Any photographic evidence Trev or Tiges?

That low is near NZ and surf size dropped right back here today from that source.
Right now you can see the precursor southerly swell lines.

With the lows position you would reasonably expect bigger surf along the NE coast of NSW compared to SE QLD.

Can anyone provide a piccy of the surf up there today?

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed May 12, 2010 3:26 pm

TrevG wrote:Yep. 8) 8)
Day 13. :wink:
Pretty full first up today but boy, the swell just kept growing. :lol:
Three hours and I was all surfed out. Gonna have some sore thighs this arvo.
By the current look of the weather stations Trev, I'd say you best get back to your local for a late arvo session (does that count as an extra day in the surf count?)!!!!