Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

gibber
Local

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by gibber » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:32 am

Alex/bluff is my most hated wave on the coast. Even when it's overhead it's crap. Promises so much then fails to deliver every time.
Maybe I'm just bitter cause you guys are getting a few and I'm busy working

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:35 am

gibber wrote:Alex/bluff is my most hated wave on the coast. Even when it's overhead it's crap. Promises so much then fails to deliver every time.
Maybe I'm just bitter cause you guys are getting a few and I'm busy working
Gibber, I get what you're saying. I surf there more than anywhere else on the coast and it still frustrates the fk outta me sometimes. That being said I've had some great waves there and prefer points to beach breaks to be honest

roundhouse
Grommet

Post by roundhouse » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:52 am

How can you rate that wave? Its probably the worst on the coast. So crowded and uninteresting especially when carties and platties are just up the road which can actually suck up and have some power. But i suppose its alright if you just want trim on a mal. Pretty boring tho.

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:56 am

Roundhouse - at the moment i'm alternating between my 9'6" log, new 5'5 fish and a little bit of my quad.

I can see how a full-time shortboarder would find the wave boring. Don't get me wrong i've had some good surfs at Carties, just been a while

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:45 am

marcus_h wrote:
TrevG wrote:Back to The Bluff again this morning - to show Digger what REAL longboard wave is like. :wink:

ps. Digger wipes his board down. :oops:
Alright which one was you Trev? I was out there from 5:30 until about 7.

I was surfing the sandy/light brown log. Was just wearing white boardies no rashie.
Yeah.
Think I remember you Marcus.
I had a light blue rashie and a trans yellow mal.
I was sitting in the little group about as far south as you can safely go.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:20 pm

TrevG wrote:
marcus_h wrote:
TrevG wrote:Back to The Bluff again this morning - to show Digger what REAL longboard wave is like. :wink:

ps. Digger wipes his board down. :oops:
Alright which one was you Trev? I was out there from 5:30 until about 7.

I was surfing the sandy/light brown log. Was just wearing white boardies no rashie.
Yeah.
Think I remember you Marcus.
I had a light blue rashie and a trans yellow mal.
I was sitting in the little group about as far south as you can safely go.

Yeah I saw you out there. If you're around tomorrow morning I'll say gday.

Was it better earlier on?

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:38 pm

marcus, I probably only got into the water about 5am.
Was pretty full even then.
I'll keep an eye out if I make the trek ( :lol: ) tomorrow.
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:26 pm

Carties is a ok wave, not great. Platforms has given mr a few scars over the years and kept me busy repairing dings.
Honestly though, we have some of the sickest beachies up here, even up towards cotton tree is better than alex most days cept if it's blowing from the south.
That said, I usually don't bother with the maroochy stretch
I'd rather surf around trev's neck of the woods or tiges area

tiger
barnacle

Post by tiger » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:59 pm

Every region has a certain spot that attracts the mal riders/late starters/learner-intermediate level surfers/kooks. It usually consists of a fat non threatening righthander, that is somewhat central in location, so that coffee shops etc are close by. In the case of the Sunny coast, that spot is Alex.

It's not my cup of tea, but I have surfed it good once. I'll occasionally go there when the lefts are breaking from out front of the surfclub back towards the corner. Had there good more than a few times.

Don't get me wrong tho, I don't hate Alex. It serves a purpose, and serves it well. Like how if you put out a piece of rotting meat it'll attract the flies, and they'll leave you alone where you are.

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:21 pm

^^^^ ha ha ha :lol: funny shit tiger!
ain't that the truth, though.
where i am it's RUINS - farkin closeout, weak, gets choppy when someone farts - and yet it attracts the crowds!
wamby coffee shop is just up the road, that must be it!
funny shit...
nature is a language. can't you read?
if you spend your life looking behind you, you don't see what's up front...

gibber
Local

Post by gibber » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:25 pm

Nice perspective Tim. Sometimes I miss the bigger picture :lol:

GregL
Grommet

Post by GregL » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:48 pm

The Spit early, 2ft, okay at first but swallowed by the tide later. Water's unreal at the moment though. Warm & crystal clear. Saw a dolphin do a full vertical leap out of the water silhouetted by the rising sun. Now THAT was special!

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:09 pm

tiger wrote:Every region has a certain spot that attracts the mal riders/late starters/learner-intermediate level surfers/kooks. It usually consists of a fat non threatening righthander, that is somewhat central in location, so that coffee shops etc are close by. In the case of the Sunny coast, that spot is Alex.
BTW. Have you seen Happys lately?
There is so much sand there and it's attracted almost every holiday maker at the southern end of the coast.
It's like Superbank without the surf. :lol:
Which is good coz they haven't ventured around the headland. :wink:
However, Ann St yesterday was a circus.
Didn't look at your, Gaz's and Don's fav sc beachie.
Didn't want to be the bearer of bad news so I didn't look. 8)
Beanpole

Skipper

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:24 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:52 pm

So I surfed Alex, mmmm, what did I think of it - not bloody much though it was packed with longboarders. I was the only shortboarder that was stupid enough to even think of paddling out. Total waste of time and in the end paddled down to maroochydore to get some shitty wave into the beach so I could go home. I would be interested in seeing what alex is like overhead though the place I surfed yesterday had better potential for what I saw and I will be regulary going down that way when the swell is up for sure. Better than coolum beach though that aint to hard lately.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:56 pm

Alex in the corner is shit, sand is all over the place and it gets more kooks than the bluff!

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:15 pm

Learners, kooks, long boarders, sups, bodyboarders and tourists! They all piss me off...but hey, I was a kook once, a learner, ridden a bodyboard as a kid, am a longboarder when the conditions suit and a tourist as much as possible! So as much as it pains us all it's better then the alterative...DEAD or living in IRAQ!

So now that I've been all peace loving and stuff...would all of the above PLEASE stay away from my local!

Loving life!

Mick

P.S Notice how I didn't say I'd ridden a SUP!
Everyone has to pay their reef taxes!

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:23 pm

wheres ya local ?, fluff, ann st, B.I, Kings or ??? good luck with that fantasy, .a good little bit of perspective there but we all hate it when anywhere gets crowded..I hear touros complaining about the amount of touros WTF ????..reality is more and more people wanna surf and the coastline isnt getting any bigger so crowds are inevitable...some have secret spots, some move to much less crowdwd areas, some just deal with the crowds and get bitter and whinge alot ( which is what most seem to do unfortunately )...the amount of learners and kooks around these parts has blown me away lately, today, in the waves there would have been 40 surfers and out of them, there was only about 5 who I would say were average or better.....great if you sell mini-mals and learner boards but if you were hoping to enjoy some waves, good luck...best I go to my secret spots again .... 8)