Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

curly

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by curly » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:07 pm

Thanks Hatchman, surfed a right hand reef break between Rye and Sorrento for 3hours today,not perfect but great compared to the crap conditions faced in NSW of late. And a crowd of only 8 people, how good is that in the middle of summer and holidays.Wore aspringy and the water temp was great.Can't wait until I move back down here.

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:06 am

Inconsistent but solid 2-3ft Curly last night. Semi clean, but with plenty of punch and some great sections to line-up and hit or try and launch off.

Also countless sessions back in SA over the past 2 weeks with near no one out :shock:

Had 3 dawn surfs at remote beachies and reefies to myself! Amazing, loved every minute back home 8)

Size was between 2ft and 5ft and the water is beautiful over there atm, not too dissimilar to Sydney actually!

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:37 am

Wind was as strong this morning as yesterday but there was swell so plenty of action.
Got good waves. What a difference a day makes.
I suspect there might have been better conditions further north. Marcus_h is away (I think) so we'll not know for sure. Might have been OK up at digger/fong beach too. 8)
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:47 pm

Im back Trev. Missed it this morning as I woke up at 7:45 after sleeping through my alarm and being late for work.

Got a txt off my brother who reckons it was shit. I had a quick surf yesterday arv but it was too windy.

Now doubt up the park our outter bays it might have been ok - looked passable on the cam just before and will get better on the low tide. Half considering a drive up there this arvo

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:47 pm

Had a good go out yesterday at my favourite secret spot in the eastern suburbs-Bondi. Crowded but still plenty of waves plus it got better as the tide dropped.

Today I counted 100 surfers before I stopped counting. This is a very conservative estimate since I tried to make sure I didn't count anyone twice.

Went for a dip and watched some truely shocking wipeouts as learners paddled head first into the sand on the crunching shorey.
" Geez this surfing caper is rough. Wonder why no one else is spearing the sand with their head?"
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:49 pm

Sawtell main beach, south end last night, tiny.

Sawtell main beach this morning at dawn, not much bigger.

Sawtell main beach south middle at midday, top of the tide but swell had built to the biggest waves I've seen in 3 weeks, including a couple of head high take-offs.

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

lessormore
barnacle

Post by lessormore » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:11 pm

^^^^very dependent on sand build-up from the creek.Been going there for over 20 years-probably surfed it good 4-5 times.
Just when you thought life couldn't get any worse-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUfKnqv2C3k

Haz
barnacle

Post by Haz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:22 pm

curly wrote:Thanks Hatchman, surfed a right hand reef break between Rye and Sorrento for 3hours today,not perfect but great compared to the crap conditions faced in NSW of late. And a crowd of only 8 people, how good is that in the middle of summer and holidays.Wore aspringy and the water temp was great.Can't wait until I move back down here.
Where'd ya go curly, Centrals? I drove for an hour today trying to find a bank, went as far as Heyfields then gave up...

Ended up driving to Flinders, 3-4 foot at Big Left but the onshore was really up. Looked like crap, went out anyway and caught some great ones!

ledge71
Local

Post by ledge71 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:32 pm

TrevG wrote:Wind was as strong this morning as yesterday but there was swell so plenty of action.
I suspect there might have been better conditions further north. Marcus_h is away (I think) so we'll not know for sure. Might have been OK up at digger/fong beach too. 8)
Yea Trev, I had a look as you were walking out off the rocks this morning but couldn't get excited about it. Was back in bed before 5 and my daughter decided to wake up at 5.30! Should have just gone surfing. Try again in the morning!

MW
Everyone has to pay their reef taxes!

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:05 pm

ledge71 wrote:
TrevG wrote:Wind was as strong this morning as yesterday but there was swell so plenty of action.
Yea Trev, I had a look as you were walking out off the rocks this morning but couldn't get excited about it. Was back in bed before 5 and my daughter decided to wake up at 5.30! Should have just gone surfing. Try again in the morning!

MW
It was a bit tricky getting out through the keyhole too. I made it but Mick and Joe got carried way up past the groyne. :lol:
And if you think the wind was strong onshore, you should have felt it out the back. :twisted:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Revolution
Snowy McAllister

Post by Revolution » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:39 pm

SAsurfa wrote:Inconsistent but solid 2-3ft Curly last night. Semi clean, but with plenty of punch and some great sections to line-up and hit or try and launch off.
I was down from about 5-745 (pm) yesterday aswell.

Also went to the same spot about 230 or so today, probably a bit more size to it than yesterday and packed more punch. Less of a ride, more of a drop, pull in and get crunched to it. Alot of fun though.

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:04 am

I was down late, prob around 7.15 to dark. Not many people out either which is suprising with the lack of waves over the past couple of weeks!

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:26 am

beachbanga wrote:
curly wrote:Thanks Hatchman, surfed a right hand reef break between Rye and Sorrento for 3hours today,not perfect but great compared to the crap conditions faced in NSW of late. And a crowd of only 8 people, how good is that in the middle of summer and holidays.Wore aspringy and the water temp was great.Can't wait until I move back down here.
Where'd ya go curly, Centrals? I drove for an hour today trying to find a bank, went as far as Heyfields then gave up...

Ended up driving to Flinders, 3-4 foot at Big Left but the onshore was really up. Looked like crap, went out anyway and caught some great ones!
I checked out Heyfields recently because Gunnamatta was sloppy and sh.it, never surfed the place before and may hold off for longer still, looks pretty heavy and shallow for my liking and more suited to a board shorter than my 7'. Still it was firing when Gunnamatta and Rye were resembling washing machines so maybe next time I may grow a pair and give it a go. Happy to take advice on this place, it's been recommended to me a few times before over the years.

I'm hoping the winds hold off for Sunday morning so I can surf Big Left, planning on taking the new 8'6" out there as I'm loving the challenge of riding a single fin of late.
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:49 pm

Surfed some very fun, super clean sucky 2-3ft peaky, but very punchy beachies this morning at the Tweed again. Once again not a soul in sight for as far as the eye could see apart from myself, my mate and two locals, including one fellow Realsurfer (he recognised my board....One of Marks).

Shame the S'ly wind came up a little early, but still not too strong to spoil the fun.

Was absolutely rooted after a 3.5hr session.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:00 pm

Donweather wrote:Surfed some very fun, super clean sucky 2-3ft peaky, but very punchy beachies this morning at the Tweed again. Once again not a soul in sight for as far as the eye could see apart from myself, my mate and two locals, including one fellow Realsurfer (he recognised my board....One of Marks).

Shame the S'ly wind came up a little early, but still not too strong to spoil the fun.

Was absolutely rooted after a 3.5hr session.
Yeah I figured he named himself after his locality. :lol:
Very clean 2' stuff at my local today, too.
Not really sucky but there were a few shortboarders on it. Not crowded either. 8)
Beanpole

Skipper

Haz
barnacle

Post by Haz » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:16 pm

^^^ Hatchy

It's a really short wave, but it can be a little sucky barrel with a really fun end bowl, and yeah popular with shortboarders. It gets pretty shallow with rocks sticking out close to shore, but it's not dangerous... Pretty much the same as Rye or St Andrews. I took a pretty average surfer out there once and he was fine.

The reef stabilizes the bank but the rock shelf to the left of it has been clogged with sand and f'ing the wave up a bit, but it might be gettin better, I'll be checkin it out friday

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:23 pm

Shit house this morning, wind was right bu was barely breaking with people everywhere

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:22 pm

marcus_h wrote:Shit house this morning, wind was right bu was barely breaking with people everywhere
Come south Marcus.
You'll be welcome. Just come alone. 8)
Beanpole

Skipper