Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:12 pm

Pumping again today.
A bit tide affected but still plenty to be had.
Crowd was a bit ordinary, though. There were 9 out there all at once at one time. 8)
And the reef was going off it's tits. From where I was we were looking into some very nice left hand barrels.
More of the same projected tomorrow. :D
I imagine all points (and beachies) north would be great, too. :wink:
:idea: ps. Just for oldman.............. :mrgreen:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:33 pm

TrevG wrote:Pumping again today.
Crowd was a bit ordinary, though. There were 9 out there all at once at one time. 8)
And the reef was going off it's tits. From where I was we were looking into some very nice left hand barrels.
Thanks Trev.

How are the beachies up there with the recent oil spill? All cleaned up yet?

What happens when tonnes and tonnes of ammonia sulphate in shipping containers gets wet. (Was it ammonia sulphate) Isn't that stuff one of the ingredients for big home made bombs. You might come in from a surf one day and just watch your skin slough off. I do hope they can get those containers out of the water before they break open.

Didn't surf at all from Thursday to Sunday in spite of beautiful weather. I pulled the pin on surfing 1' and 0' waves a few years ago. Not going back there. Did go for a swim though. :mrgreen:
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:51 pm

oldman wrote:
TrevG wrote:Pumping again today.
Thanks Trev.

How are the beachies up there with the recent oil spill? All cleaned up yet?

What happens when tonnes and tonnes of ammonia sulphate in shipping containers gets wet. (Was it ammonia sulphate) Isn't that stuff one of the ingredients for big home made bombs. You might come in from a surf one day and just watch your skin slough off. I do hope they can get those containers out of the water before they break open.

Didn't surf at all from Thursday to Sunday in spite of beautiful weather. I pulled the pin on surfing 1' and 0' waves a few years ago. Not going back there. Did go for a swim though. :mrgreen:
Sunny Coast beaches are pretty well cleaned up. I think they are still processing the contaminated sand, though. I guess the idea is to return as much sand as possible to the beaches.
Re the containers. We are "assured" that even if they leak they are not a threat. :?: I assume that means that the concentration won't be high enough to cause any ill effects.I assume that means that the concentration won't be high enough to cause any ill effects.I assume that means that the concentration won't be high enough to cause any ill effects.I assume that means that the concentration won't be high enough to cause any ill effects. :roll:
There are 2 navy mine sweepers here with sonar gear looking for them. Apparently they've located about 20 odd "targets" so far. Not sure what they're planning to do about retrieving them from 130 - 200m of water. :wink:
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:59 pm

TrevG wrote:Re the containers. We are "assured" that even if they leak they are not a threat. :?: I assume that means that the concentration won't be high enough to cause any ill effects.I assume that means that the concentration won't be high enough to cause any ill effects.I assume that means that the concentration won't be high enough to cause any ill effects.I assume that means that the concentration won't be high enough to cause any ill effects. :roll:
I suppose it is possible, but that sort of stuff could not be handled in say a workplace by human beings without gloves and respirators, and probably not without those full protective suits.

So their suggestion is either that seawater neutralises it, are there any chemists out there, or dilutes it sufficiently that it will only make your skin slough off without you being able to prove it was them chemicals.

I am so calling BS on that one. How many hectares of sea floor is that gonna kill, let alone fish, let alone threaten anyone swimming if concentrations get past a certain point. Dickheads! You would like to mop up the crap with their skulls while telling them the concentrations won't be high enough to cause any ill effects.

I'm hoping the navy can come up with something.
Lucky Al wrote:You could call your elbows borogoves, and your knees bandersnatches, and go whiffling through the tulgey woods north of narrabeen, burbling as you came.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:25 pm

oldman wrote:
TrevG wrote:Re the containers. We are "assured" that even if they leak they are not a threat. :?: I assume that means that the concentration won't be high enough to cause any ill effects.I assume that means that the concentration won't be high enough to cause any ill effects.I assume that means that the concentration won't be high enough to cause any ill effects.I assume that means that the concentration won't be high enough to cause any ill effects. :roll:
I suppose it is possible, but that sort of stuff could not be handled in say a workplace by human beings without gloves and respirators, and probably not without those full protective suits.

So their suggestion is either that seawater neutralises it, are there any chemists out there, or dilutes it sufficiently that it will only make your skin slough off without you being able to prove it was them chemicals.

I am so calling BS on that one. How many hectares of sea floor is that gonna kill, let alone fish, let alone threaten anyone swimming if concentrations get past a certain point. Dickheads! You would like to mop up the crap with their skulls while telling them the concentrations won't be high enough to cause any ill effects.

I'm hoping the navy can come up with something.
I've been reading up on ammonium nitrate.
I wouldn't want the stuff in my backyard (and it's very close to exactly that), however there's a lot of info on it through the Qld Gov't Workplace Health and Safety website and, reading between the lines, I really do think it will be in too small a concentration to be a real threat. Given that there are 31(?) containers (I wonder were they 20 footers or 40 footers), any leakage will be gradual and I'd expect it to dissipate fairly harmlessly. Sure as hell hope so, anyway.
Beanpole

Skipper

purple pyramids
barnacle

Post by purple pyramids » Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:26 pm

marourbra. went left instead of right on one wave and ended up in the flags with a group of slack jawed non-locals staring at my rapidly-approaching board -- the sunset fade on the deck can be mesmerising in the right light.
i bailed and the took a whack on the nose -- bit of a cut and some blood, but it looks straight enough and i can breath through both nostrils.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:50 pm

6 days straight, now. :shock:
The last 3 have been awesome. 8)
Again tomorrow.......................... :lol:
ps. the crowd maxed out at 14 today. :?
Someone's been talking........... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: to Trev
Beanpole

Skipper

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:26 pm

Surfed a nearby right hand point, 4-5ft and super clean, bloody crowded but made sure I got my share, surfed the AquaBat with butterfly fins again, went great. Noodles Webster and crew were out but didnt impress too much...inside was running pretty fast and alot werent making it coz they were picking the wrong ones, but if you got a good one, it was really fun...

surfed my old local the last 3 days before today and it was awesome, nuthin better than scoring your old local and on a board that you love too, with ya son who hasnt really seen it work before...happy days.... 8)

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:29 pm

iggy wrote:
purple pyramids wrote:marourbra. went left
if you go left down the south end at the moment, get ready to be arse raped by a tonne of brown seaweed...
Is that still there? Has been there for close to two weeks now!

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:38 pm

oldman wrote:
iggy wrote:
purple pyramids wrote:marourbra. went left
if you go left down the south end at the moment, get ready to be arse raped by a tonne of brown seaweed...
Is that still there? Has been there for close to two weeks now!
At least it's not oil. :twisted:
Beanpole

Skipper

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:54 pm

Can't get all the info on here but this is the next week on the Sunny Coast.
4 columns to a day.
Swell direction E and SE.
Wind direction SE.
Swell Period 8.2 to 10.3
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
dnc-46026s15.png
Damn. Doesn't come out very clear. However - WAVES FOR THE NEXT WEEK - :!:
Beanpole

Skipper

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:19 pm

but I have already had a great week of waves.... :D

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:27 pm

pridmore wrote:but I have already had a great week of waves.... :D
Yep. We've had one week so far - and another week to come (at least) :wink:
Beanpole

Skipper

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:48 pm

oh HAPPY DAYS :D :D :D thinking of surfing noosa, but hoping my local point break will have a wave tommorow cause day off.
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:28 am

^^^^^

I simply can't surf with a boner ... and it makes it difficult to go in as well depending on the crowd on the beach .... I have to paddle away from the cause and wait for a lull ... :oops:

today I surfed the same spot as yesterday but there were no kyaks ...

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:47 am

Tallows. On the back bank with a coupla blokes: Craig , banana farmer from Main Arm and Steve, a plant scientist who works up at the lighthouse.
The odd, wally left, wind was swinging SW to S and blowing into it.
Steve said "look at that" and in the gin clear water we watched a nice solid bronzey swim right between us. He said there's been heaps out here lately.
No drama, clear water.
A while later Craig pointed south.....a football stadium sized baitball was approaching from the south, in the gutter between us and the beach.
It looked apocalyptic with wheeling birds and a shadow like an overhanging cloud.
When it got to within a hundred metres it pushed through the break and headed out to sea.
Me and Craig caught the next one in.
Tim Bonython was in the carpark with his travelling circus van suiting up.......never knew he was a kneeboarder.
Watch out for the baitball I said and drove off.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Surfin Turf
Harry the Hat

Post by Surfin Turf » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:51 pm

^^^^^

probably only ever surfed tallows half a dozen times and every time some bloke has said ... "there's a shark out there" ....

first time I ever surfed it was about 1982 :?: a week after a bloke was killed ... I knew about the attack but didn't know it was at that same spot ... I never forget that there was a playboy/penthouse type photo shoot occuring on the beach when I got out of the surf and I'm 15 walking past a naked blonde beach babe in pose ... it was quite possibly the slowest I have ever walked ...

diggerdickson
barnacle

Post by diggerdickson » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:12 pm

just got out of the water at tea tree, had 6 waves, one to deep, and 5 blantant dropins, was drop in by one guy who could surf and just didnt give a shite, the others were kooks who were unbalanced on take off, one was touching rails on take off :evil: what is the point of surfing that place.

That was my first surf there and it will be my last. I reckon you can just take the national park and shove it up your kyper pass as far as im concerned, will stick to my local and will get more waves and enjoy myself rather than put up with the bullshit that goes on at noosa :evil:
no, Im not a surfer, Im just a garbage man".