NSW vs VIC

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Fun9RY

NSW vs VIC

Post by Fun9RY » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:13 pm

What state has the best surf spots?

I know that Victoria is (generally speaking) renown for its bumpkin locals and ill-mannered freaks, strict road rules and a d!ckhead of a premier, but what about surf?

Are there any good breaks besides the obvious?

Any non-sh!t stirring locals here to comment?

moneyman
barnacle

Post by moneyman » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:18 pm

im going vic...

prob going down there at chrissy for a couple of weeks cant wait
Ka ChInG !!!!!

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:26 pm

hey moneyman, you should head to the Falls festival over new years, cheap cheerful, good bands, relaxed atmosphere, 10 mins up the hill from Lorne, I've been 3 years in a row. Last year was a cracker beautiful cloudless warm days (although bloody freezin at night) and it doesn't go dark till 9pm, would be goin again this year but my missus can't get time off work (bummer)...the best value for money festival in autralia.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I think its hard to compare, both good, waters bloody cold compared to the most of the east coast of NSW.
Last edited by WANDERER on Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fun9RY

Post by Fun9RY » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:26 pm

Ive been into Melbourne a few times for work, but I cant say Ive ever been to any of the beaches :(

How cold is the water down there in Winter?

stuey

Post by stuey » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:06 pm

This thread is just screaming come in MUG!!
Well here I am! Vic shats all over NSW for constant swell. I have never seen a flat day-seriously. But the water tho refreshing in summer is a nightmare when coupled with the winter winds.brrrrrrrrrr!
So, NSW is the preferred location even tho it can be flat for ages.
If ya wanna ride big waves ya can do so in a super thick wetty pretty often down the south west. Every beach requires drivin so yar often on yar pat malone. NSW always seems ta have someone in da water, but ahh its so nice once yar in. At least, dats what she told me last night!

Fun9RY

Post by Fun9RY » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:16 pm

Felt better for u once u got it back out of her tho aye Stuey?

Had a look at it and managed to make out an image of that flesh in white goop, howd it feel to have ur d!ck in something that looks like a bulldog chewing mayonaise?

stuey

Post by stuey » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:21 pm

dunno about dat, couldnt see dat far, twaz doin it doggy style o cos.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:32 pm

Mate I lived on the West Coast of Vicco for most of me life. Moved to Sydney about 8 years ago. Yeah the water can be a hassle but only in winter. 4 x 3 with booties, gloves and helmet is the go. Summer is ok but hardly boardy weather. Autumn is sensational. Sunny, offshore all day and generally heaps of swell. And a distinct lack of crowds. I aint namin any secret spots for fear of an extreme beating next time I'm down there, but just drive and hour or so past Bells and feast. You will never be wave starved down there :D

stuey

Post by stuey » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:38 pm

Boardies can be worn. Great place for search missions is down the promontory. Water is kinda trapped in that huge bay there so boardies in summer is no prob, plus some excerrento waves in the predominant easterly winds, with very few crew. Long walk ins bein the main pain with avariety o slitherin bitey bastards(nah not bodyboarders!) ta watch out for.

TC

Post by TC » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:39 pm

2 bits to this topic; 1) the waves and 2) the experience

great waves in both states. Water warmer in sydney, but crowds often wreck the sesh. easy to get waves on your own in vic if ya know where to go and even if theresa small crew its more mellow than syd. but the waters that fargin FREEZIN at the moment it hurts!

I reckon the winner is right in the middle - south coast NSW. the short stretch bermagui down to eden. Why? sh@tloads of wave and water still warm. hardly anyone in most of the bst spots coz most people don't know where they are and its too hard to get to em unless youve got a off road mobile etc.. you can camp in the bush, right on the water and just get waves for days an if da missus camps well you can get a bit of dat as well! you can catch flatty off the beach most spots and cook em for dinner with a few beers round de ol fire with ya mates. i had 4 wks up there at xmas with me girlie and a few mates and it was farken unreal.

I reckon thats wot its all about. So dere ya go den!

stuey

Post by stuey » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:40 pm

Dont advertise it mate!

TC

Post by TC » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:48 pm

BA wrote:Autumn is sensational. Sunny, offshore all day and generally heaps of swell. And a distinct lack of crowds.
BA mate, this autumn in particular, was just epic. not rubbin it in either coz i'm sure yav still got mates down ere to give ya da news. But I cant remember an autumn for ages with as much GOOD size and spot on winds NE - NW (I surf the east coast & the island) just seemed like all the time. I work for meself mate, and i got so many midweek waves through to about the end of may and still in a 3/2. No crowds etc.. then bang.. suddenly its freezin. and ya have ta get that farken covered up in 4/3 shite that its not quite the same. but i agree autumn it the best in vic

stuey

Post by stuey » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:51 pm

Summer is da best ta me. When wooly has endless pumpin beaches, winds always excellent. If yar in da know ya can even score flynns to yaself on a north wind with swell while everyone is at wooly.
I dont know a better location anywhere mr. calculator!

streetdaddy
Local

Post by streetdaddy » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:55 pm

Phillip island is one of my favourite surf destinations in Australia. So many options to suit any swell or wind direction! Sorry locals but you've got it so good that I have to go on about it...

TC

Post by TC » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:56 pm

nothin betta than endlessly pumpin wooly beaches

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:02 pm

TC wrote:
BA wrote:Autumn is sensational. Sunny, offshore all day and generally heaps of swell. And a distinct lack of crowds.
BA mate, this autumn in particular, was just epic. not rubbin it in either coz i'm sure yav still got mates down ere to give ya da news. But I cant remember an autumn for ages with as much GOOD size and spot on winds NE - NW (I surf the east coast & the island) just seemed like all the time. I work for meself mate, and i got so many midweek waves through to about the end of may and still in a 3/2. No crowds etc.. then bang.. suddenly its freezin. and ya have ta get that farken covered up in 4/3 shite that its not quite the same. but i agree autumn it the best in vic
TC you're making me cry. And yes, me mates rub it in every day. Good luck to you, sounds like you're on a winner. But I do love surfing in boardies for about 4-5 months.

TC

Post by TC » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:04 pm

But I do love surfing in boardies for about 4-5 months.

Bastard!! Thats hard to imagine from down here at the moment[/quote]

stuey

Post by stuey » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:23 pm

Dats da worst thing about vic. Da stinkin weather. Not ta mention the bloody crew out at quarantine these days! I have had soo many days a airport lefts with just two in da water pullin in from take orf and just screamin by the escape. Even had loads o short but super satisyin chubbies at foots.
TC, ever surfed wild dog?