IS REALSURF LOCKING UP YOUR COMPUTER?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

IS REALSURF LOCKING UP YOUR COMPUTER?

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:45 pm

I need some feedback here.
Been getting a lot of lock ups on the web recently.
I use IE and always have done.
But of late I've been having my computer freeze up when on the web.
In desperation I re-loaded all my software including XP. And updated all drivers etc and all MS updates.
It's still happening.
Now my son has pointed out it only seems to happen on Realsurf.
I use the web for a lot of stuff (highly technnical word, that) but have not had a lock up on any other web site.
So, I just wondered if anyone else has had this problem, before I go digging deeper.
PS. Here's the interesting thing. It only happens as I go to post. So when I shut down and reopen the site, my post has gone through but I haven't been able to follow it back to the thread.

puurri
Owl status

Re: IS REALSURF LOCKING UP YOUR COMPUTER?

Post by puurri » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:54 pm

yes.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:05 pm

As quick as that, I have an ad at the bottom of this page offering "Windows XP Repair".

boogaloo
Local

Post by boogaloo » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:55 pm

I'm not having any problems.
I use Firefox on XP Pro.

Dingus
Owl status

Post by Dingus » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:01 am

I use both IE and Firefox almost interchangeably, the only difference is I have some RSS feeds and stuff locked into IE and I couldn't be bothered working out the migrate to Firefox for them. Occassionally I lockup on IE but not always, and RS seems to be the site I'm on as well. I can't provide any advice but I'll be interested to hear the geek answer to what may be happening.
offshore1 wrote:^^^I don't think anyone really cares [about boogie boarders] anymore Dae.
\none left on the forum.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:27 am

No mystery why lockups occur most often on RS: it's all the deformed penis pics, cup sharing and gay website links....... :shock:
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:47 am

Hey Trev,

At least part of this site has been done on a MAC so that means either Safari or Firefox. Are you using the latest drop of IE? Its pretty close to Firefox in terms of compatability but to make it easy I would recommend grabbing he latest cut of firefox, the best browser around IMO and its FREE!
salty wrote:Surfing Atlas WTF? ...I have to pay a sign-up fee in order to expose to the masses, pictures of and directions to my favorite breaks! http://www.surfingatlas.com

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:03 am

woolly wrote:
TrevG wrote:As quick as that, I have an ad at the bottom of this page offering "Windows XP Repair".
But mate, if you just reinstalled XP, what are you going to repair???
Do you wear 2 condoms Trev? ... ie, got a decent virus protector and firewall? Even if you've reloaded XP, and you have a "little bug", it still won't fix the problem. Has the problem been of long duration, or recent? Does the whole PC lock up when replying to RSF, or can you use "other stuff" just while RSF is locked up?

Computers. Don't ya just love 'em. I call my computer by the name of my second ever girlfriend. When I talk to the computer, the missus hasn't got a clue what I'm talking about, but sometimes, just like my second ever girlfriend, my computer turns into a right (unt of a thing!

Good luck mate.....
Wooly, re the XP repair, I was only commenting that the advertising overlords on this site are very quick to pick up on a subject they can link their ads to.
Having rebuilt my software from the ground up and downloaded all the latest driver updates etc I wasn't about to do that again. Although IE did have a couple of bugs and I downloaded it again.
And it is only RSF which have locked up. The rest of the computer runs fine and I can open IE again (not just another tab) even while the lock up is still in the background and the newly opened one will work fine.
Anyhow, I've gone across to Firefox and we'll see how it goes.
It would seem, though, I'm not the only one with the problem so there would seem to be a little glitch in there somewhere.

Donweather
Harry the Hat

Post by Donweather » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:34 am

Trev, I get it all the time when posting, and I use IE and XP both at work and at home and the problem occurs on both computers, and as you stated, mainly when posting on RSF.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:09 am

Using Firefox now, I'm gonna post a few times today and see what happens.

Felix
Local

Post by Felix » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:39 pm

I was getting intermittent RSF lockups using both IE and Firefox. Went to Chrome and have the same thing.

Conclusion: Just as the redesign of the RS site was a disaster, so too the programming.

Felix
Local

Post by Felix » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:39 pm

Had no lockup posting the above.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:17 am

Hi All

Bummed to hear of this problem. Since I haven't experienced when accessing with Firefox 3, IE7, Safari, and Google Chrome (all from Windows XP box), I had no idea it was going on.

The next time any of you get lock up or browser hang, it would really help me if you could let me know a) the thread and b) the browser/ver and OS you're using.

My suspicion is that it may have something to do with really pic-heavy threads.

I've been meaning to look at changing the pic settings to see if I can improve performance...

FWIW, IE6 seems to be particularly awful as a browser, so if you're using it, I'd recommend trying one of the other options. I'd look first at Firefox, or maybe Google Chrome or Safari. If you're a happy IE user, I'd highly recommend upgrading to the very latest version.

Shifty

Post by Shifty » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:08 am

My computer was working fine, then I posted my first item on the realsurf forums, did a few reply's and bingo - frozen!! Both IE & firefox?? Couldnt even open them.

I dont know enough about computers to say that Realsurf Forums casued the problem, but it does seem strange. Hmmmmm!!

Anyway, I contacted a computer geek I know who has fixed any of my comupter problems in less that 60 second (frikin computer guru) and he got me to "reset my settings". He directed me to tools / Internet options / the Advanced Tab an then hit both the "restore advanced settings" & "reset". There were a few steps after this, but stuffed if I can remember. Anyway it now works perfectly again.

You might want to consider trying this????

Cheers

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:29 pm

Last edited by PeepeelaPew on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

mustkillmulloway
Owl status

Post by mustkillmulloway » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:13 pm

3rd effort post in this thread :roll:
cannot be bothered retyping my positive advice
internal error :?

fast getting over it

great new design...that fails
reginald wrote:Hang on, now all of a sudden I'm the bad guy. How the try again did that happen?

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:03 pm

I get this message all the time.

Oh bother!
We have an internal error of some sort...
Contact admin or just go back to RealSurf until this gets fixed!
------------
BA (on Realsurf) wrote: It's the wild west with a bit more homo-eroticism.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:50 pm

Coops, I've been getting that message, too.
Haven't had any hangups since I started using Firefox.
And only since you mentioned it, I realise I haven't had that message either. May be coincidence but, here's hoping.