Waves Discovered in Our Solar System

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:43 pm

salty wrote:
Nick Carroll wrote:^^Longinus you foul BASTARD

This is a Google Earth image and you have doctored it to make it look like there's a reef break in the middle of some lame-arse moon.

God how can you live with yourself. :lol:
A classic Vortex.
Nick's trying to downplay the discovery so he and his extreme surfin brother can sneak out there with pwc's and capture the surfin film of the century.
Maybe 60 Minutes will spring for the travel costs?

still here
charger

Post by still here » Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:28 pm

So the photo shows estimated 6-8 ft waves ....
Maybe the photo was a small day . Titans waves apparently larger but move slower than on earth .
The deep/ sharp drop off shoreline seems they'll pack a punch .....maybe form hollower as the methane rain apparently falls slower , most likely thicker lip as the methane rain forms larger drops , maybe it's all purple , etc etc etc .....hmmm a nice focus for tonights meditation .
Thanks Longinus .

Damage
Owl status

Post by Damage » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:50 am

Have youse taken into consideration that Titan has just over 10% of the earths gravity?

Surfing yes. But not as we know it.

:D

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:31 am

Damage wrote:
Surfing yes. But not as we know it.

:D
G.O.L.D

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:20 am

Right,

Shapers - I need to start my liquid methane quiver. Based on my research and what the guys have come up with in this thread I have the following brief on what I think I need.

Gravity (0.14G of Earth)

The board will need to be approximately 8 times denser and longer than a standard surfboard so Im going to start with a 48 foot methane toothpick pipecleaner, other dimensions as you recommend.

Surface Temp (-179.45 celcius)
Atmosphere 98.4% nitrogen 1.6% methane trace amounts of oxygen
Okay, so I will be surfing in a 100 kilo A7L EVA Moon Suit. My understanding is that PU/PE and Exopy becomes too brittle at such temperatures so I was thinking maybe reinforced Carbon Fibre or Kevlar would be the best bet.

The reduction in gravity should have a spectacular effect on the breaking wave itself, the lips of barrels will hurl out much further than H2O waves on Earth and the wave will have somewhat of a 'slow motion' effect to it. So I propose an internal trimming tank and ballast system that would permit me to move weight forward or aft rapidly to maintain line on a wave and increase of decrease the bodily weight of the board as required to detach or imbed myself further within the actual surface of the wave.

Open to your own fin set up, decal placement and glassing recomendations.

Keen to see a quote, impression of the final design ASAP

cheers

still here
charger

Post by still here » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:57 am

LONGINUS wrote:Right,

Shapers - I need to start my liquid methane quiver. Based on my research and what the guys have come up with in this thread I have the following brief on what I think I need.

Gravity (0.14G of Earth)

The board will need to be approximately 8 times denser and longer than a standard surfboard so Im going to start with a 48 foot methane toothpick pipecleaner, other dimensions as you recommend.

Okay, so I will be surfing in a 100 kilo A7L EVA Moon Suit. My understanding is that PU/PE and Exopy becomes too brittle at such temperatures so I was thinking maybe reinforced Carbon Fibre or Kevlar would be the best bet.

The reduction in gravity should have a spectacular effect on the breaking wave itself, the lips of barrels will hurl out much further than H2O waves on Earth and the wave will have somewhat of a 'slow motion' effect to it. So I propose an internal trimming tank and ballast system that would permit me to move weight forward or aft rapidly to maintain line on a wave and increase of decrease the bodily weight of the board as required to detach or imbed myself further within the actual surface of the wave.

cheers
Suggest you call on Roy Stewart ..... he's your man for the job :!:

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:27 am

Gravity (0.14G of Earth)

cheers
You may need to consider the time it takes to travel there before worrying about surfing equipment etc. It takes light roughly an hour to get there from here and that's around 186,000 miles a second. So I'd concentrate on building a fcuking fast spaceship first because it may regularly be on for the early.

LONGINUS
barnacle

Post by LONGINUS » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:42 am

Buff_Brad wrote:

Gravity (0.14G of Earth)

cheers
You may need to consider the time it takes to travel there before worrying about surfing equipment etc. It takes light roughly an hour to get there from here and that's around 186,000 miles a second. So I'd concentrate on building a fcuking fast spaceship first because it may regularly be on for the early.
All Sorted mate:

Buff_Brad
barnacle

Post by Buff_Brad » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:04 pm

LONGINUS wrote:
Buff_Brad wrote:

Gravity (0.14G of Earth)

cheers
All Sorted mate:

Perfect.

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:24 am

wow, i've had a relaxed but well drunken night, and this conversation...?????